Jupiter

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your thoughts on this Article?

It is about a Jupiter Probe going to crash into the planet on purpose as to a possibility of it crashing into a moon of interest.

Just curious of your thougths.
:)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Avoiding contamination seems like an exceedingly careful move--what, truly, are the chances? Still, I suppose it's the best move.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Avoiding contamination seems like an exceedingly careful move--what, truly, are the chances? Still, I suppose it's the best move.

Arni,

What about a civalization under those clouds, that we do not know about. Will they look at it as an attack on them from us or from their gods or whatever. If they are considering the possibilities of of life in any form on any planet, would it not be better to hit a moon that we know is completely barren of life materials?

Just some thoughts, if they raise the question, then theit choice confuses me. I agree it would be nice to know about the clouds around Jupiter though.

Just confused

E

Elfan

One of Arthur C. Clarke's books (2010) I belive discusse gaseous creatures living in the atmosphere of Jupiter.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
“The spacecraft will reach the outermost layers of Jupiter’s atmosphere, which is very dense,” Lopes said. “There will be a lot of friction. (Galileo) will begin to burn and crush and disintegrate and then it will just vaporize and become part of Jupiter.”

that is why they chose the planet instead of it's moon.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ender
“The spacecraft will reach the outermost layers of Jupiter’s atmosphere, which is very dense,” Lopes said. “There will be a lot of friction. (Galileo) will begin to burn and crush and disintegrate and then it will just vaporize and become part of Jupiter.”

that is why they chose the planet instead of it's moon.

Yes, I understand that it will disintegrate do to the friction, yet the expect penetration and sending data back until the last second it cannot send anymore.

Yet there are other moons, that do not have the hope of life support, it would have been my choice to choose something that I knew from insection to as barren as the moon around Earth :D

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Yes, I understand that it will disintegrate do to the friction, yet the expect penetration and sending data back until the last second it cannot send anymore.

Yet there are other moons, that do not have the hope of life support, it would have been my choice to choose something that I knew from insection to as barren as the moon around Earth :D

If we hit one of the moons we would be accused of "littering" space with our junk. It's better we vaporize the craft so that there is no trace of it anywhere. It will TOTALLY disintegrate because of the Jupitor atmosphere.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ender
If we hit one of the moons we would be accused of "littering" space with our junk. It's better we vaporize the craft so that there is no trace of it anywhere. It will TOTALLY disintegrate because of the Jupitor atmosphere.

Right? You dont want the Bleeding Heart liberal hippes going "You cant send your trash into space, space doesnt want it"

You know who I mean, the same people who scream, "Kill People, not Animals!"

Personally, I think either solution would have worked.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=6&u=/ap/20030921/ap_on_sc/galileo_s_end_2

NASA's aging Galileo spacecraft concluded its 14-year, $1.5 billion exploration of Jupiter and its moons on Sunday with a streaking suicide plunge into the planet's turbulent atmosphere.

The spacecraft passed into the shadow of the solar system's largest planet and several minutes later entered its atmosphere at 2:57 p.m. EDT. The unmanned spacecraft, traveling at nearly 108,000 mph, was torn apart and vaporized by the heat and friction of its fall through the clouds.

Did they expect that they would gain any new and interesting info. from doing this?

E

Elfan

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In what way?

On one of the history channels shows, I saw, how they are tracking thousands of objects over a meter in length, and the Sace Shuttle FLights are calcualted for windows to get into space and avoid collision of this junk and extreme speeds. And this is just the big stuff this has nothing to do with the little bolts and tools lost in space :( oh well.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Space is easy--no air resistance. If several bodies are exerting a non-negligible gravitational pull you may have an ugly multi-body problem if your object has non-trivial mass, but for space travel--spaceship-sized objects--it's just another force acting on the ship.

Orbits have been integrated out millions of years in advance for celestial bodies. Tracking satellites must be done very carefully because one tries so hard to conserve fuel, but this really isn't a tough problem.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think every bit of data they got is worth it, as every little bit contributes to the puzzle, ya'know?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
I think every bit of data they got is worth it, as every little bit contributes to the puzzle, ya'know?

I agree--I was just wondering if there was useful info. they expected to get out of it. I'm sure they'll find something in there!

E

Elfan

In what way?

I was thinking more near earth actaully. The orbit of a new satelite, for example, will have to be checked against the calculated orbit of every other satelite launched in the past 50 years to make sure they will never colide.

K

KenpoMatt

Some astronomers & evolutionists have speculated that it is possible that life on Earth could have begun on Mars. Asteroids, meteors etc regularly smash into planets (That is how our moon was formed - it is actually a masive chunk of Earth knocked free by a passing asteroid). Imagine a MASSIVE object slamming into or riccochetting off of Mars.

Huge chunks of the planet are knocked off and sent hurtling into space. Microbial & chemical debris are collected in the broken chunks and frozen as they exit the planet's atmosphere. Now, imagine those chunks slamming into the earth in effect transporting life (or, at least, the initial building blocks).

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Besides the contamination issue (Galileo wasn't sterilized like other probes), the probe was also low on propellent. To me, it makes sense to just give the craft a little jolt to slow it enough where big ol' Jupiter can grab it and gravity can take over from there, rather than try to maneuver the craft over a moon with limited propellent, running the risk of screwing up the trajectory if the fuel ran out in the process.

Cthulhu

K

Karasu Tengu

Hmmm? I wonder what those fictitious"gaseous creatures" thought of the comet that crashed into Jupiter not too long ago? I'm sure it was only ice...or was it? Maybe some of you should ask Art Bell. :shrug:

Latest Discussions