Jump Kicks

O

OmniKyle

I really really suck at these. Does anyone have any training tips, like getting my legs to jump higher or how to get the timing/spin down? It's the jump spinning hook kick that bothers me the most. Crazy, crazy.

Thanks much.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I'm not particularly good at jumping kicks myself, but I can give you some basic advice. The leg you kick with is the same leg you push off the ground with.

When you add the spin (or when doing a spinning kick by itself) we practice by first breaking it down into steps. Getting your head around first is the key to timing.

I hope that's helpful.

OP
J

Jester

I've found that most people's problem is they focus on the kick (the leg) rather than the jump. This is the wrong thing to do as once you get the jump and the spin correct the kick pretty much takes care of itself.

Start by just standing and jumping in the air, doing a full spin and landing. If you concentrate on making sure your upper body spins first your lower body will spin because it has to.

Once you have that right getting the kick correct is a small step. Just do the same jumping spin, and just stick your leg out. Sounds simplistic but this is how you start developing the kicks.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

There are a few versions of this kick. I believe you are talking about the kick that we call at my school the "step-jump spinhook".
On this particular kick, the step is taken in the air previous to the spin kick. We call this the "aero-step". You can use this step to elevate your kick.

My recommendation would be to make sure you have a good spin hook. Once thats down, then move on to the jump spinhook (in place), jumping from both feet. Then try the step jump spin hook, with and without the aero-step. This progression will allow you to easily understand other dynamic kicking like 540 and 720 kicks.

Some of these kick may not be too effective in live combat, however I still think they are important to learn, and fun too!

:asian:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. I can do a mean spin hook, but if I throw a jump in there, I f**k it up. It's because my rotation is bad. I've been working on just jumping in the air and spinning (without the kick) like Jester said. I did the same thing with the 360 (tornato kick) and it worked wonders :)

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes practice jumping first before the actual kick, learn to jump without slamming your legs down when landing and work on coordination, grace and agility. A drill I have seen to work on jumping is stacking kick shields in piles one after the other and going down the line just jumping over each pile with a 2 leg take off (meaning no hurdling). At the very least you do enough of those and your jumping muscles will be stronger which might help if nothing else does.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
O

OmniKyle

Thanks much for the input. I'm eager to get better at these because my sparring partner is a basketball player and can easily throw a jump spinning hook kick above my head. He's never actually hit me with one, but it's scary!

Thanks very much!

OP
D

Dagonar

As a matter of fact, the jump spinning hook kick is the kick I have to do for my next promotion.
I would say, just try to jump and spin at the same time, try not to over-spin though. But make sure you're able to see where you're kicking before you throw the kick, they've got me on that one before...
Just practice, in and out of class, and you'll get it. Best of luck.:asian:

OP
T

the_kicking_fiend

Everyone seems very eager to promote a big jump or concentrate on jumping but I feel the other way about jumping techniques. The smaller your jump, the faster the technique is and the far less obvious it is. The point of the jump very often is not for the added height but for added speed.

Sometimes you can jump without actually jumping... er confused? Let me explain, when you jump you foot leaves the floor meaning no friction meaning much faster spinning. However, if you lift your foot up so its only barely touching the ground, as in no pressure applied to the ground, then the same effect is in place.

My instructor often encouarged us with the jumping reverse hook kick and especially the reverse heel kick to do this. If you jump high you have to bend your legs more, which is very obvious to your opponent and the whole thing is slower.

The aero step is a pretty difficult technique and not really that much more effective in my view for the hook kick. A 360 backkick using the aero step is the only really fancy technique that can do the job of a good score in my experience.

When I learnt the kick you are having trouble with, I initially started just by going onto the ball of my foot, then taking more and more pressure off the ball of my foot with a suitable push up until it was just aerial. I think having it 'just' aerial is probably the best for the speed.

I must add however, that in certain jumping kicks the jump is done for the height alone. For example, the jumping sidekick off the spot is really done to get your hips to head height to you can take the guys head off... not that great for competition!

Just my thoughts

d

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
getting an enthusiastic training partner to work the kick with you makes a big difference too.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way I teach it:

First learn the spin hook, and get it down adequately.

Learn to do a full 360 degree jump, sans kick, and then ad the chamber for the kick (where you pull the knee up).

Push off with both feet...not just one.

Learn to LEAN BACK. People don't do this, and they find that they can't kick high. They try to fight this, and end up hurting their lower back. You lean back on any lateral kick you throw on the ground...you need to do it with this one, too.

Land with the legs flexing like shock absorbers. You'll have a far better experience with middle and old age, believe me.

There is another version where one takes off with the kicking foot...I teach this too. The non kicking leg comes up high and then there is a push off with the kicking foot. Its actually an easier kick. You cover distance with it, as well.

Regards,

Steve Scott

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ditto to everything above. Just practice the kick for speed until it becomes faster than the time it takes for you to jump and land. Its tough, but something like the jump turning side kick is not easy to pull off.

Latest Discussions