Julie Kitchen speaks about her fight against Nakamoto + the future

wickett180

White Belt
Reaction score
Here is a interview 14x world champion Julie Kitchen recently done. It's such a shame the UK don't recognise her achievements in the same way the Americans do.

Extracts: "Julie: I feel that Miriam brought her A-game and deserved the win. I know I underperformed so i’m looking forward to the rematch"

"There was a dispute over the downward elbow which resulted in a few small arguments between officials and coaches, but we were officially told we couldn’t use the six o’clock elbow at the rules meeting. If I had used them in the clinch I know I would have opened up the cut easily from the clinch position and gained a stoppage.

Miriam then scored highly with three jumping downward elbows and a hip throw in the later rounds, but it went un-warned because no-one else was told that the downward elbow wasn’t allowed, I’m not sure about the throw either"

The rest of it is here if anyone is interested!! http://addictedmma.com/story-Exclusives_8629_Julie-Kitchen-quotThe-Queen-of-Muay-Thaiquot.php

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Julie is very much recognised among her peers for what she has achieved, martial/combat arts in the UK is a very small niche sport so you will never get the general 'acclaim' that a bigger country perhaps can provide.

OP
W

wickett180

White Belt
Reaction score
Julie is very much recognised among her peers for what she has achieved, martial/combat arts in the UK is a very small niche sport so you will never get the general 'acclaim' that a bigger country perhaps can provide.

True but as Julie mentions her own hometown even shuns her achievements. I live in the same county as Julie and the lack of support from her own is astonishing. Shocking really. But as you touched on Muay Thai isn't exactly a main stream sport so I suppose it is what it is.

Latest Discussions