Judo/Wrestling

S

SammyB57

What are better Judo throws for those employing a lower, wrestling type stance opposed to the traditional upright Judo stance?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is always frustrating. But, some throws still work. I like Tai Otoshi from this position--get them pushed back a bit, then when they step forward, do the technique.

Ubermint

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sumi Gaeshi and variants of Tomoe Nage. Or, in my native tongue, guard sweeps.

OP
B

bbaamm

1. Drop Seionage
2. Yoko Tomoe nage
3. Sumi Gaeshi/Hikkomi Gaeshi
4. Ken Ken Uchi Mata
5. Tai Otoshi

In that order - In my opinion.................

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bbaamm said:
1. Drop Seionage
2. Yoko Tomoe nage
3. Sumi Gaeshi/Hikkomi Gaeshi
4. Ken Ken Uchi Mata
5. Tai Otoshi

In that order - In my opinion.................
Excellent. I'd have rank the Tai Otoshi a little higher myself but excellent none the less

OP
B

bbaamm

I choose that order because that is the order I teach guys from other arts like submission grappling or bjj to start them off.............Taio is one of my tokui waza but I find it hard for some to wrap themselves around right off the bat. I have been able to send people back to thier home school and catch clubmates with drop and sumi after one class thus building confidence standing. I like to give yoko because its safe when the grappler sprawls hard. YIJ, BBAAMM

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bbaamm said:
I choose that order because that is the order I teach guys from other arts like submission grappling or bjj to start them off.............Taio is one of my tokui waza but I find it hard for some to wrap themselves around right off the bat. I have been able to send people back to thier home school and catch clubmates with drop and sumi after one class thus building confidence standing. I like to give yoko because its safe when the grappler sprawls hard. YIJ, BBAAMM
Given the above qualifiers I understand your order more. Totally Agreed.

YIJ,
James

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have always liked kata guruma or uchi makikomi. They have always worked in the past. IMHO.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
I have always liked kata guruma or uchi makikomi. They have always worked in the past. IMHO.
Man!!!! Kata Guruma!!! I drill that one everyday and didn't even think about that on the forum because I was thinking of it in the sense of the firemans carry variation...DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will try to put this question to the test next time on the mat. I don't see why 80% of the "typical" Judo throws could not be done from this position. It affords hara being lower than the opponents' and enhances balance. Hmmm......

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yoko Otoshi will do nicely. If it fails, you can go directly to the Dojime/Guard position and stay safe.

Latest Discussions