Judo to Jujutsu Migration??

OP
K

Koga-Shinobi

Thanks everyone for all your reply's!! :p

Aegis---so do you feel (taking away all the nuts and bolts) that Judo isn't an effective self-defense style? I agree about your (and other's who have posted) line of reasoning with regards to no gi on the streets, and the danger of certain throws...but surely, somewhere in the judo syllabus (goshin no kata aside) there has to be something that can not only work, but well?? I cant believe that the millions of judoka out there are learning their art purely for competition and not SD purposes.

:D Dont mean to come out strong, I'm just learning the trade, and like to feel that what I'm learning is worth something on the street (BESIDES smashing someones head open on the concrete Johnathan Napalm :shrug: ).

I'd love to do jujutsu to be honest, but there's nothing within a reasonable distance from me unfortunately.

Thanks for your views, and keep them coming!! :D

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Koga-Shinobi
Aegis---so do you feel (taking away all the nuts and bolts) that Judo isn't an effective self-defense style? I agree about your (and other's who have posted) line of reasoning with regards to no gi on the streets, and the danger of certain throws...but surely, somewhere in the judo syllabus (goshin no kata aside) there has to be something that can not only work, but well?? I cant believe that the millions of judoka out there are learning their art purely for competition and not SD purposes.

I think it depends largely on the individual instructors. My first Judo instructor believed in the whole art, so roughly a third of our training sessions each year were devoted to self defence, without wearing the gi. Blocking, throwing and locking suddenly took on a whole new dimension. I could see then that Judo was meant to be used like that, and that the techniques simply need to be practised under different circumstances.

Self defence training has to be practised regularly. If you train once or twice to block a punch and throw from it, you're likely to fail if you even need to use it. If instead you train in the self defence aspect every week, and block various attacks in every training session, you will become proficient. After that, the defences will start to come naturally, without even having to think about them.

I don't know quite how well I've made my point here, so I'll summarise more or less exactly what I mean:

Judo can be taught as either a sport of a self defence martial art. Or a combination of the two.

If taught as a sport, the self defence applications will tend to suffer.

If taught as a mixture of sport and self defence, the practicioner will have the opportunity to try out the throws on resisting opponents but with certain rules on the techniques allowed. This is probably th best bet for learning Judo as self defence.

Learning non-sport Jujitsu will force you to use the self defence skill from the beginning, until they become second nature.

Since my summary seems to have taken up a lot of space, here's a conclusion:

If you want to learn how to defend yourself, learn under self defence circumstances. The transition from sport to street is not as easy as claimed by some.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Koga-Shinobi said:
Hi all,

Over the years I have seen, and repeatedly have read of on forums like these, that many judoka are moving away from studying Judo to study jujutsu (not BJJ!) saying that they find that "jujutsu has what judo lacks" and that "jujutsu is more applicable in SD". I wonder if anyone has noticed this or if anyone has any views on this.

they never really gone away far. most of them simply wish to cross-train. :)

Why do you think Judo practitioners are becoming so disenchanted with the art?

not really disenchanted, just want to try something new, something that used to be taught in all Judo dojos..

What difference is there realy in the techniques, other than perhaps an expanded spectrum of joint locks?

99% of all Judo dojos in the world today focuses on sport judo/competition judo. Which is totally missed the point. Sport judo is for athletes, strong person with stamina and strength. real Judo as created by prof Kano is JUJUTSU with SPORT ASPECTS. So prof. Kano's judo are still Jujutsu, but modernized. It has all the self defense tricks of Jujutsu, but expanded to include sports competitions.

unfortunately, after the 1964 olympics, most Judo dojos emphasizes competitions too much. Those which does not emphasize competitions & prefer to do self-defense finally decided to call themselves "Jujutsu" or "Jujitsu" or "Ju-Jitsu" or "Jiu-Jitsu" dojos. Because there were really no differences between Judo and Jujutsu before World War II.

Now I am sure people understands why students of Prof. Okazaki (he received Sandan from Prof. Kano directly) and of Prof. Wally Jay (famous Judo coach) called themselves "jujutsuka" :)

BTW, I am sure I am not 100% right. someone correct me please.

Latest Discussions