Judo: The Power of Blue!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted this on FMAT:

The Color of Victory? Rethinking the Power of a Blue Judo Uniform

Can an athlete’s uniform affect success?

A study of the men’s judo competition at the 2004 Olympics in Athens suggested yes. In high-level judo matches, to differentiate between the contestants, one competitor is chosen to wear a white uniform, called a judogi, while the other wears blue. The study found that those in blue won more matches than those in white, and suggested, among other reasons, that the brighter blue had an intimidating effect, much as with some animals, red coloration is thought to be intimidating.
Another study disputes the finding.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
sweet. my gi is mostly red with blue and white. (we had to get american colors) so hopefully if i wear that gi instead of my usual black and white in sparring ill do better lol

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never seen the study. However, from being on the all Marine Judo team while serving I had this sweet dobok. Blue on the out side and white on the inside. It was reversible. Double weave heavy of course. Also, down the sleves it had the lettering U.S. Marine Judo and on the back it had the Marine Corps Eagle Globe and Anchor.

However, as an instructor I make my students do as I do......wear white on white. They will begin competing soon. However we will do it the old school way. Red will have the red sash in between the belt and the dobok.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Other than the mental advantage gained by the belief in the first study, Not all factors were considered.
Sean

Good point. The whole thing about it is that I believe that only "Yudo/Judo" competitors should have a blue dobok. Just a thought. But I was raised with the ideal that white = purity. I guess to each his own. GGM Park always said something to the effect concerning white vs. black dobok....."It is like American black and white western, Good guys wear white and bad guys wear black." Not saying anything but he was "Old, Old school Korean. He was born in 1940 so, you have to look at the context.

The reversible dobok was designed for the same reason why TKD and Karate have blue on one side of the hogu and red on the other. It is for differentiation.

I have always had a reverse psychology if you will concerning colored uniforms. I don't really care for them, it always made me want to beat the "Pretty boy" wearing them that much more. With exception of National and Global competition I hadn't worn blue, where it was necessary. Plus just to re-iterate "My own personal belief is that those who wear 'colored' dobok just think they are cool.

But then again what do I know. Just my .02

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
when i started judo i picked up a blue gi because, well, i really like blue. plus it's easier to keep clean. i was really surprised when i learned that it was looked down upon by some of the purists.

jf

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah, the color blue kicked my butt - not the other guy's ABILITY.

It's silly to find a "better color" for a fighting uniform, thinking it will improve your performance.

The only thing that improves performance is more mat time and better coaching.
Heresy! There must be a shortcut or secret potion to make it easy. There MUST!

Next, you'll try to tell us that if we're overweight or out of shape, it's our fault for not exercising and eating too much crap!

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it could affect judging--making things easier or harder for a referee to see what's happening.

Latest Discussions