Judo Injuries

S

SammyB57

What are common injuries in Judo and how can they be prevented? What is the likelihood of getting a serious injury in Judo?

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
comon injuries eh? um..joint injuries are pretty common, as are concusions. the likely hood is always there, but the sport is fairly well organized, and there is a high priority on saftey. I would like to recomend a mouth gaurd when your in randori, or at a tournament. learn how to fall, and keep your chin tucked, and you should be alright.

OP
D

dosandojang

I have broken and torn almost every digit on my hands and feet, broken my left leg, foot, ankle, and have torn my ACL, MCL and LCLC!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
dosandojang said:
I have broken and torn almost every digit on my hands and feet, broken my left leg, foot, ankle, and have torn my ACL, MCL and LCLC!
Ouch! What is holding you together now?

- Ceicei

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
you guys are gonna scare the poor guy! judo is not that bad! :whip:

OP
D

dosandojang

:)

Sorry, NOT trying to scare anyone off from Judo! IT IS MY LIFE! I LOVE IT! Just want people to know BAD injuries can occur from it! Just last week, one of my friends got his leg caught inside of Tori's legs when they were both going for takedowns! SNAP! I shattered his leg and is now laid up for the rest of the year!

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
let's face it, we're not playing barbie dolls here and if you play or train martial arts with any desire to improve at all, chances are at some stage, you're going to injured and your constitution and pain threshold will be tested ........... don't know any master or student personally, who doesn't sincerely enjoy a good spanking.

It's when they're not friends and injuring you when you want to get concerned ;)

BL

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
let's face it, we're not playing barbie dolls here and if you play or train martial arts with any desire to improve at all, chances are at some stage, you're going to injured and your constitution and pain threshold will be tested ........... don't know any master or student personally, who doesn't sincerely enjoy a good spanking.

It's when they're not friends and injuring you when you want to get concerned ;)

BL
I fully agree, but, it is not that common to see a judoka to get hauled of the training tatami, the worst i saw were 2 people with broken bones at at tournament. there is always a chance for injury, but it is usually controled as much as possible. it's just if people go around listing there nasty injuries, people are gonna get scared, and we don't want them scared....well, maybe a little...

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
what they should be scared of is being thrown like that and not knowing how to respond or fall. And besides being on the other end when neccessary , that's why we come and why they should too!!!

OP
A

auxprix

Ok, I read an article on this. In America, the most common injury for men is muscle strains and for women, it's contusions. If this scares you, quit judo and doing basically anything now!

The common skeletal injuries are broken fingers or toes.

The most comon major Skeletal break is the collarbone (watch out for that in the tomoenage)

Another thing to watch out for are dislocated shoulders and concussions.

So, you can see that there are risks, but that's the truth in every sport. In my experience, Dosandojang is an exception (and a 5th dan, he's been doing it for ever!). I have never talked to a Judoka who's had that many injuries. The best thing you can do is learn the Ukemi and relax on the mat. I've found that as I stopped worrying about injuries, I recieved fewer of them. IMO, the Ukemi training and technique in Judo is unrivaled, you can trust it to keep your body in order. Think of it this way, I've hit the mat literally thousands of times, and only have a small break on my foot (which was much less dibilitating than a broken toe or finger) and minor concussion to show for it. I like those odds.

The health benefits of Judo far outweigh the risks. If you doubt this, go watch what some of the old-timers can do, and remember that they are grandparents!

OP
D

dosandojang

Sorry! NOT trying to scare ANYONE OFF! :(

Just sharing my experiences! (I started in 1974' by the way!)

OP
S

SammyB57

just a random question for dosandojang....

Do you/did you weight train?

I am just wondering because I am trying to see it there is a relation between weight training and sports injuries.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thrown improperly by a very enthusiastic guy, by the back of my neck, a number of times in a row. It didn't make my neck feel too good. Between that and a non-judo sparring issue, I've got a messed-up neck now.

OP
A

auxprix

Feisty Mouse said:
I was thrown improperly by a very enthusiastic guy, by the back of my neck, a number of times in a row. It didn't make my neck feel too good. Between that and a non-judo sparring issue, I've got a messed-up neck now.
Was this guy a judo practitioner? It doesn't sound like a Judo technique to me...

OP
T

The Prof

SammyB57 said:
What are common injuries in Judo and how can they be prevented? What is the likelihood of getting a serious injury in Judo?
Greetings,

One of the most common injuries is to the "great toe" of either or both feet. We used to call it "judo toe." It somehow seems to get the worser of the toe injuries. Usually from being bent.

The best way to protect it is to tape it to the next toe. Do the same with the small toes. Anytime you injure one of your toes or fingers for that matter, tape it to the one next to it for support. If you do a lot of walking, keep your toe taped. You will be surprised how much it helps. As a matter of practice, I keep my large toe and the one next to it taped all the time while I am in the mat.

Regards,
:asian:
Prof.

OP
S

SammyB57

I have the "Judo toe" from Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
auxprix said:
Was this guy a judo practitioner? It doesn't sound like a Judo technique to me...
Yes, actually - he is a judo practictioner, among other arts... I think he was just all juiced up, and had the opportunity to throw a partner (me) who was new to judo, pretty light in comparison to him, but could take falls relatively well.

It was a hip throw, but his arm that went around the back of my neck was actually pulling me up and over. It felt very odd, and unpleasant.

At the time, I did not want to seem like a whiner - I assumed that, as a more experienced student, he knew what he was doing.

I have since learned to be a little more paranoid, now that my neck is kind of screwed up - it's scary.

Latest Discussions