Beginning Judo

I

Icepick

I've been doing BJJ for just under a year now, and I am tired of starting on the bottom. My rib injuries finally seem to be healing, and I am gearing up to drop into the local judo club.

Is there a good book I should pick up? What are generally the first throw taught?

At this point, I'm not really looking to master the whole kodokan, I just want a couple of complementary throws that I can develop some skill at. No knock on Judo, but I don't have time to train every art I would like. I do need to improve my stand-up for BJJ though.

Thanks!

Good day Icepick. Check out of these books:

EFFORTLESS COMBAT THROWS, by *Tim Cartmell

*This isn't a Judo book, but Tim is an internal arts instructor but he is also a champion Brazilian JiuJitsu competitor. He says that his background in the Chinese art of BaGuaZhang has helped him a lot with his BJJ contests.

I'm a Jujitsu man myself and Tim's book really helped me a lot with improving my body mechanics and setting up "stealth throws".

As far as Judo books go though, I would say go with KODOKAN JUDO, written by the founder of Judo himself, Jigoro Kano.

I hope this info helps and I wish you much success.

:uhoh: Uh, oh, time to get on the stick and get to Judo class myself!

- Kyle

Zujitsuka -

Thanks a lot! I just ordered it. Hey, what is zujitsu?

Like it matters where you start! On the top, the bottom, upside--down, stuck to the bottom of the desk like a piece of old gum....

Within 10 seconds, you have swept the other guy, mounted him, and ask him which submission he would prefer to tap to.

:soapbox:

You can do it my way. Put a knife to his throat and say "You Lose".

:samurai: :ninja:

P.S. My way takes only 3 seconds.

I think I might head back to Judo too if I can't get a few classes in on the BJJ.

Anyone else get this around their neck after working out in Judo?

I don't get it from Judo, but do get it from Aikido. I also get all kinds of "pinch" bruising etc.

Dunno what to do about it, I just live with it. :)

Maybe wear a t-shirt and cover up that unattractive hairy chest of yours...

Pierre

Kevin,

I recommend Best Judo by Isao Inokuma and Nobuyuki Sato. You should be able to buy this at a local Barnes and Nobles or Borders. If you want I can bring it to class for you to check out.

I think O-Soto Gari (major outer reap) is a good first technique to learn for both sportive grappling and streetfighting. It is a powerful throw against a beginner, but difficult to do against a person with experience (at least for me it is, but then again I suck at Judo).

- Jason

Originally posted by Beam
I think O-Soto Gari (major outer reap) is a good first technique to learn for both sportive grappling and streetfighting. It is a powerful throw against a beginner, but difficult to do against a person with experience

I agree; it certainly brings out the importance of kuzushi (chest-to-chest!). For self-defense there are simpler sweeps I think.

O-soto-gari is perhaps my favorite throw. It works so nice and its easy to pull off. Above, there was mentioned better sweeps for self defense. Can you give a few examples? I hope one isn't deashi harai? Oi!!! Simple throw to execute with a partner, but it pretty much requires an exactitude of timing that I think is absent on the street.

upnorthkyosa

Back