Judo Injuries

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, My son took High school Judo and several of the students would hurt there shoulders area and ankles, lots of beginners were in the class...Aloha

OP
A

auxprix

Feisty Mouse said:
Yes, actually - he is a judo practictioner, among other arts... I think he was just all juiced up, and had the opportunity to throw a partner (me) who was new to judo, pretty light in comparison to him, but could take falls relatively well.

It was a hip throw, but his arm that went around the back of my neck was actually pulling me up and over. It felt very odd, and unpleasant.

At the time, I did not want to seem like a whiner - I assumed that, as a more experienced student, he knew what he was doing.

I have since learned to be a little more paranoid, now that my neck is kind of screwed up - it's scary.
I don't know what to say, I hope it gets better!

I think I have a visual idea of what happend, but I'm not sure. What I'm imagining is not something I've ever seen before.

One thing you might want to do (you might already, I don't know) is do a bridge both forward and backward with your feet and head touching the mat. That's a good way to stretch out the neck before a randori. Don't try it now, let your neck heal, but It's good for the future.

-Aux

OP
A

auxprix

still learning said:
Hello, My son took High school Judo and several of the students would hurt there shoulders area and ankles, lots of beginners were in the class...Aloha
That's why it's best to start people off wrestling experienced people. Beginers fighting beginers is where the injuries come from.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
auxprix said:
I don't know what to say, I hope it gets better!

I think I have a visual idea of what happend, but I'm not sure. What I'm imagining is not something I've ever seen before.

One thing you might want to do (you might already, I don't know) is do a bridge both forward and backward with your feet and head touching the mat. That's a good way to stretch out the neck before a randori. Don't try it now, let your neck heal, but It's good for the future.

-Aux
Thanks for the tip! :)

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

SammyB57 said:
What are common injuries in Judo and how can they be prevented? What is the likelihood of getting a serious injury in Judo?
Common Judo Injuries range from pulled muscles to broken neck bones.

Common injuries: pulled neck muscles, herniated discs, hyper-extended wrists, concussions, twisted ankles

Common Shiai injuries: broken collar bone; collapsed lung, concussions, bruised kidney

please review: http://www.judoinfo.com/research11.htm

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The best thing you can do to not get injured is to let yourself be thrown, hundreds of times in every throw from many different types of people. Falling, then becomes second nature. That is my jujutsu goal.

OP
J

judokapont

no way would i recomend a moth guard in comp or randori this judo not boxing old bean