judo for self defense

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This guy has a great youtube channel

He does - some of the people here have helped him with it. Fortunately there's no need to reinvent the wheel; like the video you posted shows, there are still old schools training and teaching these days.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This guy has a great youtube channel

Real fighting is not about doing great damage to them. It is about shutting down their ability to do damage to you. Fighting conservatively is incredibly important when the stakes of loosing are high.

So here while you are giving yourself a big pat about how you are going break a guys arm. You are also giving up you back in a way that can let the other guy squeeze your neck until you are dead.

And then trying a move that you probably have never done for realsies because you can't rip people's arms off in training.

This is not how you fight conservatively. It is taking a massive risk.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Real fighting is not about doing great damage to them. It is about shutting down their ability to do damage to you. Fighting conservatively is incredibly important when the stakes of loosing are high.

You tell those battle hardened veterans that passed down the information those old schools collectively retain what 'real fighting' is all about. I'm sure they had no idea :rolleyes:

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score

So here while you are giving yourself a big pat about how you are going break a guys arm. You are also giving up you back in a way that can let the other guy squeeze your neck until you are dead.

And then trying a move that you probably have never done for realsies because you can't rip people's arms off in training.

This is not how you fight conservatively. It is taking a massive risk.
Well I'm a bit of a Bruce Lee...I take what's useful and integrate it into my action. No one can predict a fight in most cases, so I flow ...
No one said follow the techniques Text book fashion.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You tell those battle hardened veterans that passed down the information those old schools collectively retain what 'real fighting' is all about. I'm sure they had no idea :rolleyes:
Some of these arm bars and chokes work 100%.
Of course ground work might not be good against say 2 guys. Judo is ä great System and some Boxing or practice of the atemi waza shown in kata...it's all there.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I can't. They are no longer alive. So nobody knows what their opinions on real fighting is.

The best we have now is people interpreting their opinions based on other opinions. And very little practical experience.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I'm a bit of a Bruce Lee...I take what's useful and integrate it into my action. No one can predict a fight in most cases, so I flow ...
No one said follow the techniques Text book fashion.

My comment is about concept.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Judo/Ju Jitsu always been a part of training. some escrima too(in my case)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and ? cherry picking ...one throw. Even as kids people used trips... o soto Gari .. we never knew it but that´s what it was.

And supporting my opinion with your evidence.

O soto gari. Would be a straw man. Because I never argued all judo was bad. Just that one idea as demonstrated by that one throw.

Jeff_Beish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Back in the day, many, many Moons ago, when most of my students were school aged guys and gals my curriculum was the entire Gokyo no Waza and what Newaza I remembers including some atemi waza. Several of my students visited me last year for my 80th birthday and remarked that what I taught them was Judo for shodan grade. Yes I replied; that is the way I learned Judo and just didn't know better. Hum, they were kids in their 50's!

My sensei in Okinawa and Japan proper taught us young people and school kids the same. The purpose for shodan was to expose us to Judo without regard to age. But, over the years that all changed when the prime directive for Judo was sport and petty politics.

I am remined of my failed ideas by a photograph of one of my high schools students getting ippon using uki otoshi in a regional shiai. Jezz he said, when he tested for shodan all he had learned came easy to pass.

Yes, Judo is great for self defense, even against other Judoka.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't. They are no longer alive. So nobody knows what their opinions on real fighting is.

The best we have now is people interpreting their opinions based on other opinions. And very little practical experience.

Hahahaha. After your years of extensive research, that's your conclusion? Or... you're just guessing, coming to a conclusion that, surprise surprise, is exceedingly flattering to yourself and your own approach. Hmm.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hahahaha. After your years of extensive research, that's your conclusion? Or... you're just guessing, coming to a conclusion that, surprise surprise, is exceedingly flattering to yourself and your own approach. Hmm.

My approach is based on my years of extensive research.

Not the other way around.

I am very sceptical of these stories from guys nobody can even ask anymore. But is interpreted by some sort of disciple.

It gets very cult like to be honest.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions