judo... the gelntle way....

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am doing arrangements to do some crosstraining again on june, I am going to change my TKD schedulle with my students so I can be free the days I want to crostrain. There is not clear yet, maybe I will return to kenpo karate lessons or to start in judo.

I think judo can teach me new things like some grapling and it's always good to know how to fight in a clinch or when lying on the ground with a BG trying to beat me.

Today a client of mine came to my offcie for a chat, I know this mister is a black belt in judo so the chat was about martial arts and he recomend me a good judo sensei that we are gpoing to visit soon, my client told me judo is a very nice self defense method and a nice martial art too.

So well... the coin is in the air but I think it would be nice to get inside judo and see.

Manny

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I absolutely love the clinch range, and throws and takedowns.
I am 39 and train, and have trained almost religiously for the last 18 years.
I have never trained with a Judo guy specifically on Judo, although I have invitations. I am a big guy about 6'3" and 260 pounds atm. The thing that has been holding me back is putting my safety in another persons hands to throw me. I think at some point I am going to have to bite the bullet and go give it a shot, because I am so intrigued.. I am just having troubles putting my safety in anothers hands.

I dont know what your expectations are, but if you are looking for alot of clinch and ground work I would also recommend trying to find a Grecco Roman wrestling type to work with, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu guy as well. I have a few Judo Black Belts that I train with in Jiu Jitsu classes, and other then the scarf hold(Kesa Gatame) their ground work was fairly basic or non existant from what I saw, I am not sure if this is standard for Judo guys, but talking to them I know that these guys anyways train very very little ground in their school, hence the reason they are training with us on the ground.

If you do go train I would be interested in your experience, I think you are also a big guy, so I think it could be good to hear how it went
Good luck and have fun with it.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never trained with a Judo guy specifically on Judo, although I have invitations. I am a big guy about 6'3" and 260 pounds atm. The thing that has been holding me back is putting my safety in another persons hands to throw me. I think at some point I am going to have to bite the bullet and go give it a shot, because I am so intrigued.. I am just having troubles putting my safety in anothers hands.

I dont know what your expectations are, but if you are looking for alot of clinch and ground work I would also recommend trying to find a Grecco Roman wrestling type to work with, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu guy as well. I have a few Judo Black Belts that I train with in Jiu Jitsu classes, and other then the scarf hold(Kesa Gatame) their ground work was fairly basic or non existant from what I saw, I am not sure if this is standard for Judo guys, but talking to them I know that these guys anyways train very very little ground in their school, hence the reason they are training with us on the ground.

If you do go train I would be interested in your experience, I think you are also a big guy, so I think it could be good to hear how it went

Yeah I am big from mexican stadards, I am 6 feet tall and 255 lbs, I am not really sure right now I did kenpo karate for one year and obtained a orange belt and I like kenpo so it could be nice to keep on it and learn some more and advance in the kup/gup grades and who knows maybe earn a BB in a couple of yeras. However judo can be nice too, learn how to deal with a BG in a short range using sweeps and throws must be efective to, so I cab't do 3 martial arts at once jejeje.

So lets see how judo can be.

Manny

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
A couple of my kung fu class mates hold black belts in Judo. It isn't very gentle :)

I am of mixed feeling when it comes to Judo as a self defense art. It is certainly true that the grappling skills are helpful, and judo is very good at teaching those. However, Judo was designed as a sporting art and as such sometimes leaves holes because the focus is NOT self defense bit rather sport. Where I see this the most is bidging the cap between striking and grappling. I am not saying Judo cannot be helpful for self defense, but just be aware.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple of my kung fu class mates hold black belts in Judo. It isn't very gentle :)

I am of mixed feeling when it comes to Judo as a self defense art. It is certainly true that the grappling skills are helpful, and judo is very good at teaching those. However, Judo was designed as a sporting art and as such sometimes leaves holes because the focus is NOT self defense bit rather sport. Where I see this the most is bidging the cap between striking and grappling. I am not saying Judo cannot be helpful for self defense, but just be aware.

I disagree on Judo. Kodokan Judo was designed to give the practitioners the most bang for the buck. It had the high risk techniques removed and allowed the techniques that could be practiced full speed, and power to remain so that practitioenrs could train under the most realistic conditions possible and develop a feel for a completely non compliant partner. One of my biggest knocks on many of the arts that focus a majority of time to purely deadly tactics, but never allow their practitioners a way to practice them in a realistic manner is that they will most likely not be able to make it work when the trouble starts. Judo became a sport, but it was not designed as a sport.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a judoka, so I'll defer to your expertise in how it was designed. I also agree with you when it comes to training with fully resisting opponents. If you aren't doing it, you aren't going to be prepared. I still believe that 99.9% of judoka today are training for a sporting enviroment. Nothing wrong with this, as long as you know the difference between sporting and self-defense. Because of the sporting training, and competing against people trained in similiar ways, there are some bad tendencies that get trained into the body. I have yet to see a judo guy bridge the gap in what I would view as a safe manner, unless trained extensively to do so. Not because they are bad martial artist, but they are just used to something different, and have trained for that.

Having said the above, I don't believe Judo is alone in this by any means. You've got boxers that fight as if they have gloves on, point fighters that stop with contact, continious tournament fighters that stop when they get the advantage, TKD experts that don't use thier hands to strike the face, etc. These sports definitely have great value, but you will fight the way you train. You will fall back upon established patterns and things proven to work for you. If you are doing things that work in a sporting enviroment and your attacker is using things that have worked in a street fighting enviroment, you might be at a large disadvantage.

Chat Noir

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I disagree. However, before you join any school, you should be clear about what you want out of the style. Before I joined, I looked at whether schools in my area put more emphasis on competition or self defense. My school focuses on self defense and practical techniques - not the sport. Although my teacher can show me moves that are used in competition, I always steer him toward the combat aspect, which is what he does 90% of the time.

Laura

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree. However, before you join any school, you should be clear about what you want out of the style. Before I joined, I looked at whether schools in my area put more emphasis on competition or self defense. My school focuses on self defense and practical techniques - not the sport. Although my teacher can show me moves that are used in competition, I always steer him toward the combat aspect, which is what he does 90% of the time.

Laura

Definitley know what a school is about before you join. Agree with this %100. If it is competition based and you want more of a self defense base, you probably aren't gonna be happy. I can't stress this phrase enough, "You WILL Fight How You Train." So make sure your training matches the venue most closely in which you would expect to use your skills.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Its an excellent compliment to TaeKwonDo, Manny.

Few quick points from the top of my head, I have a class shortly.
-Judo was not developed as a sport, Judo is essentially modern JuJutsu.

-If you compete, watch your stances. I can't break the habit to fight with my right foot back when I'm at distance and vying for grips.

-Try and find a club that does groundwork for the sake of groundwork rather than groundwork to win at Judo. The rules don't favor ground fighters so many schools don't work the ground. Mine does.

I should also point out that self-defense has never been a priority in my training in TKD or Judo. Or any of the other styles I like to play with.

Ethan

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a few Judo Black Belts that I train with in Jiu Jitsu classes, and other then the scarf hold(Kesa Gatame) their ground work was fairly basic or non existant from what I saw, I am not sure if this is standard for Judo guys, but talking to them I know that these guys anyways train very very little ground in their school, hence the reason they are training with us on the ground.
Depends on the Dojo and the instructor. Some do a lot more than others.

Last dojo I was at one of the instructors loved ground so we did a lot of that. I really enjoyed it.

Current dojo I'm at the instructor is really into the "Life-long Health and Exercise Method" a so that's what he emphasizes. I like that too though I admit my ground-work is suffering. However I do get injured a lot less frequently.

<shrug>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am doing arrangements to do some crosstraining again on june, I am going to change my TKD schedulle with my students so I can be free the days I want to crostrain. There is not clear yet, maybe I will return to kenpo karate lessons or to start in judo.

I think judo can teach me new things like some grapling and it's always good to know how to fight in a clinch or when lying on the ground with a BG trying to beat me.

Today a client of mine came to my offcie for a chat, I know this mister is a black belt in judo so the chat was about martial arts and he recomend me a good judo sensei that we are gpoing to visit soon, my client told me judo is a very nice self defense method and a nice martial art too.

So well... the coin is in the air but I think it would be nice to get inside judo and see.

Manny
Just out of curiousity - the "good Sensei" that they recommended - is he Cuban? I've been told that many of the Sensei teaching Judo in Mexico are from Cuba. Is that true? These darn Cubans are all over the place. LOL

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity - the "good Sensei" that they recommended - is he Cuban? I've been told that many of the Sensei teaching Judo in Mexico are from Cuba. Is that true? These darn Cubans are all over the place. LOL

No he' not a Cuban he's mexican, it's an old sensei with years of teaching in his back, he even taught self defense at police station.

Manny

Judokarl

White Belt
Reaction score

It depends on the school Ours has groundwork almost every class and I pratice out of class with fellow judoka and wrestlers on my groundwork. Sadly About 80% of my wins are from chokes and pins at judo tornoments (not nearly as flashy as a nice ippon). If you do judo or bjj and can do the other I see no reason not to because of how well they agument eachother.
Judo would be a great addon for self defense as long as you make sure to pratice some of the throws gi-less to get a feel for it. I have had a dudes shirt rip of during a fight and I had to nail him wth Morote gari.

gatorgrasshoppeer

White Belt
Reaction score
Its an excellent compliment to TaeKwonDo, Manny.

Few quick points from the top of my head, I have a class shortly.
-Judo was not developed as a sport, Judo is essentially modern JuJutsu.

-If you compete, watch your stances. I can't break the habit to fight with my right foot back when I'm at distance and vying for grips.

-Try and find a club that does groundwork for the sake of groundwork rather than groundwork to win at Judo. The rules don't favor ground fighters so many schools don't work the ground. Mine does.

I should also point out that self-defense has never been a priority in my training in TKD or Judo. Or any of the other styles I like to play with.

Ethan

+1

My dojo teaches judo throws as one method of defense. Outstanding knowledge to have IMHO. We also practice groundwork in case we get pulled to the ground after a throw.

- Make sure you learn how to break fall....it is critical to not getting hurt in practice (and in reality)
- For me (in my 40's), it can be pretty brutal on the legs/back during training, so know your limits and work into it

Good luck in your training. I am certain if you go for it, 2-3 lessons and grappling sessions and you will be sold on Judo's value in the scheme of your defense training. Trust me, it is not only for sport ;).

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a few Judo Black Belts that I train with in Jiu Jitsu classes, and other then the scarf hold(Kesa Gatame) their ground work was fairly basic or non existant from what I saw, I am not sure if this is standard for Judo guys, but talking to them I know that these guys anyways train very very little ground in their school, hence the reason they are training with us on the ground.

It really depends on the school.

The bottom line is that the Olympics ruin everything. Judo . . . boxing . . . TKD . . . The Olympics has had detrimental effects in all three cases.

Any good Judo school will train about 30% groundwork. While that may not sound like much, it's a lot more than many schools train, and it's more than enough to build a solid foundation for ground work. Basically if the school is overly-concerned about competitions or the Olympics then they focus too much on the standing portion of Judo. If they train the art as it should be trained then there's a balance.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes, it's ironic that Judo was designed to have the deadliest techniques removed and yet it is imminently capable as a self-defense style. I personally feel that it is best trained in conjunction with a striking art, but as soon as any fight comes into the clinch range judo gives one the ability to throw/trip/slam their opponent. If anything, on the street or a bar room floor it is actually TOO devastating . . . a person getting thrown onto their back will probably be okay, but if they get dumped on their head it could potentially lead to paralysis or death.

Judo is scary.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, it's ironic that Judo was designed to have the deadliest techniques removed and yet it is imminently capable as a self-defense style. I personally feel that it is best trained in conjunction with a striking art, but as soon as any fight comes into the clinch range judo gives one the ability to throw/trip/slam their opponent. If anything, on the street or a bar room floor it is actually TOO devastating . . . a person getting thrown onto their back will probably be okay, but if they get dumped on their head it could potentially lead to paralysis or death.

Judo is scary.
Striking does that as well :)
Since We can adjust Judo to involving Head Dumps, We can adjust most Striking Arts to hitting certain Vulnerable Areas of the Human Body.

EDIT: Adjust is just the word im using for "limit our current reference to a particular item of" or somesuch. Twas tricky to word.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Striking does that as well :)
Since We can adjust Judo to involving Head Dumps, We can adjust most Striking Arts to hitting certain Vulnerable Areas of the Human Body.

EDIT: Adjust is just the word im using for "limit our current reference to a particular item of" or somesuch. Twas tricky to word.

Sure, well I certainly agree that any "complete fighter" will have some minimum level of proficiency in both areas.

I do feel that Judo, as it is taught in just about ANY judo school, is directly applicable to self-defense. This is not always the case in regard to, say, a karate or TKD or kung fu school (though sometimes it is).

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure, well I certainly agree that any "complete fighter" will have some minimum level of proficiency in both areas.

I do feel that Judo, as it is taught in just about ANY judo school, is directly applicable to self-defense. This is not always the case in regard to, say, a karate or TKD or kung fu school (though sometimes it is).
Hehe - You havent seen Mcdojo Judo then. I have, and its exponentially overdependent on Heavy Gis. Im sure others can substantiate that.

And then You put it that only sometimes, do Three different MA's have more than a Mcdojo or Sport form. How bemusing :) But lets nevermind that, and remain on topic.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I have to say, I've never seen McDojo judo. I'm having a hard time envisioning such a thing. It seems that judo is about as screw-it-up proof as you could get, unless for some reason an instructor had a No Randori rule in their school, which I couldn't imagine.

Latest Discussions