judo and jiu jitsu questions

B

berry king

Hi everyone, i am planning to start training soon, and there is a great school not too far from my house that teaches judo, jiu jitsu and sambo. I know what sambo is and i basically understand what judo and jiu jitsu are, but i havent been able to understand the difference beetween judo and jiu jitsu. Is judo more focused on throws, whereas jiu jitsu is more focused on floor grappling? Are they both effective for self defense? From what i have read, it seems that jiu jitsu is more effective for defense and judo is more sport oriented, but i havent read much and could be wrong. If anyone wants to check out the school im going to, go to www.gokor.com. Thanks to all for your comments and answers.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judo is the sport form of jujutsu; jujutsu is the older self-defense art. Judo emphasizes throws, matwork (Grappling on the floor), and competition. Jujutsu generally emphasizes standing locking techniques (armlocks, wristlocks) and throws, possibly with some weapons training, but it varies from style to style. The spelling JIU-JITSU at the web site you gave makes me wonder if its Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ), which is more like judo in that it's principally a sport. Where judo emphasizes standing throws over matwork, however, BJJ is just the opposite, and many consider it more effective for self-defense. All in all you'll get good self-defense training out of all this.

See also the Grappling, MMA, and Russian Martials Arts fora here.

OP
J

J-kid

Judo - Is a sport , But it can be used well in self defense infact i have found judo very useful in pankration matcheds, Throws take downs, etc

Jujutsu is more arm locks wrist locks and some legs locks
more on the ground.

Sambo AKA jacket Wrestling has alot of leg locks arm locks , no chocks.

I can answer any questions you might have and if i cant i can ask my coach.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Judo-kid

Jujutsu is more arm locks wrist locks and some legs locks
more on the ground.

I must disagree with this. Much of modern Judo is based on groundwork. Most classical styles of jujitsu do next to nothing on the ground. Slight mix up there.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sambo AKA jacket Wrestling has alot of leg locks arm locks , no chocks.

Not true...it depends on the version of Sambo being worked on. Many Sambo competitions remove chokes from the program, but there is quite a bit of choke work involved in Sambo.

Just as Judo has emphasis to not locked any joint of the leg in competition, but it is still taught.

OP
Q

Qasim

Originally posted by Aegis

I must disagree with this. Much of modern Judo is based on groundwork. Most classical styles of jujitsu do next to nothing on the ground. Slight mix up there.

More than a slight mix up Aegis. As you know we avoid going to the ground for as you also know, in self defense, once you're on the ground, and more opponents are involved or are coming, the fight is lost.

Judo-Kid, a match is not the same as self defense.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't really agree with that principle. Many traditional ryuha of Jujutsu contain suwari gata, ne waza, etc. (Takagi Yoshin ryu, Kito ryu, etc) Also...in Judo-shiai, much of what is focused on is nage waza and ne waza...even though much more is contained. I would say that the curriculum of Kodokan Judo has much more emphasis on nage waza as opposed to ne waza.

OP
J

J-kid

why judo no longer has leg locks, They will try and give you a load of bs but the true reason is because the sombo guys where beating the judo guys. If you cant beat them chang the rules !@

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As well as certain throws.... Some of which certainly shouldn't be in shiai of randori. However, this has led to competetive Judoka not bothering to learn them at all. In the BJA, you don't need to know the (competetive) illegal techniques up to and including 5th Dan (someone correct me if that's something written on another syllabus). That means that even the 5th Dans don't need to know leg locks, head locks, wrist locks, atemi-waza or other techniques not used in shiai... I have to say that this disappoints me more than a little.

OP
A

Abbax8

Late response, but I need to jump in. Kodokan judo is a complete method of attack and defense. Nage Waza, Ne Waza, and Atemi Waza. How it is taught and practiced is an entirely different matter than what it is. Some schools stress competition so much that much that is good for self defense is never taught. This has led to serious misunderstandings of what judo truly is.

Peace
Dennis

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
HOG WASH CHECK OUT WALLY JAY'S BOOK
DYNAMIC JU JITSU RE-LESAED IN 1982

CHECK OUT GEORGE KIRBYS BOOK
BASIC TECHNIQUES OF THE GENTAL ART!
RE-LEASED IN 1983:D

JU JITSU HAS STAND UP & GROUND TECHNIQUES
THE PROBLEM IS NOT EVERYONE TEACHES THE SAME.
:asian:

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by berry king
Hi everyone, i am planning to start training soon, and there is a great school not too far from my house that teaches judo, jiu jitsu and sambo. I know what sambo is and i basically understand what judo and jiu jitsu are, but i havent been able to understand the difference beetween judo and jiu jitsu. Is judo more focused on throws, whereas jiu jitsu is more focused on floor grappling? Are they both effective for self defense? From what i have read, it seems that jiu jitsu is more effective for defense and judo is more sport oriented, but i havent read much and could be wrong. If anyone wants to check out the school im going to, go to www.gokor.com. Thanks to all for your comments and answers.

Good choice of school. You lucky bugger.

Cheers
Sammy

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace
HOG WASH CHECK OUT WALLY JAY'S BOOK
DYNAMIC JU JITSU RE-LESAED IN 1982

CHECK OUT GEORGE KIRBYS BOOK
BASIC TECHNIQUES OF THE GENTAL ART!
RE-LEASED IN 1983:D

JU JITSU HAS STAND UP & GROUND TECHNIQUES
THE PROBLEM IS NOT EVERYONE TEACHES THE SAME.
:asian:

A side note. George Kirby will tell you that his instructor Jack Seki always said that Jujitsu is Jujitsu. Meaning no ryus.

It seems like he was taught that they were all supposed to be one.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
A side note. George Kirby will tell you that his instructor Jack Seki always said that Jujitsu is Jujitsu. Meaning no ryus.

It seems like he was taught that they were all supposed to be one.

Classical Ju Jitsu does nothing on the Ground.
Not at all True. Armlocks or Kansetsu Waza Are seen in Pictures
as far Back as the Early 1900's

Also Shime Waza or Chokeing Techniques has always been apart of it.

Check out he Text book of Ju Jitsu
By S.K. Uyenishi,Published in 1905 it shows Many Locks
On The Ground.

OP
I

Infight

Original Japanese Jujutsu was praticed with everything (it was a military art ), ground, standing, throwing, bow n arrow in a horse ( it has a name, but i cant remember now ), kenjutsu (later iaido ).

Latest Discussions