Judging a student's character and Moral compass

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello.

I want to know how some Teachers would go about judging a student's character and demeanor. That is, how would you go about deciding if the student was of the mindset to practice in your school?

Do you rely mostly on abstract "feelings", like the "energy" of the person? Or do you look for certain tell-tale traits or actions?

Would you go so far as to request a police record? Employment records?

If a student was taking medication for a behavioural disorder of some kind, would that be a "deal killer" for you?

Finally, it would be appreciated if anyone could offer some kind of way that a person could measure how close their own personality is to a good student --> AS IT APPLIES TO PRACTICING MARTIAL ARTS.

For example, I am no Saint. I am not even a choir boy. I have done things in my life which I dearly regret --> and some can not be undone now!

Now, I for one, would be happy just to kick and punch, and it is not a problem if I ever learn the upper level advanced techniques, as I practice mostly for exercise and coordination, as well as the possibility for self defense, if things ever got to that point.

But, this still interests me, because I am not where I wish to be in a spiritual measure -- I have a great tendency to be selfish and self centered, and it takes a great bit of work to get it to budge, even a little bit!

Robert

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Mostly it is simply observation of their activities in the school. You learn alot when someone hits them in the head on week 2 and they can't land a hit. Do they get angry? Frustrated? How do they deal with that anger or frustration?

Temper and ego and attitude tend to reveal themselves when a person is getting tired and getting hit.

How do they interact with other members of the school?

We've trained a number of people with behavior/mental issues, at least two that were later diagnosed with schizophrenia as far as I can tell. To be honest, those two's lack of mental focus resulted in them never progressing beyond the beginner ranks, despite their years in the school. It wasn't a big deal, they just never progressed.

It helps that we live in a small town as well, someone knows something about the new student or the family of the new student.

Lamont

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One of the things alot of Sensi's,Teachers,Instuctor's want to teach besides the Martial arts is to be a role model and Guide those students to be a good person!

Help those that NEED correct behavior. Our goals as Teachers is to guide everyone to be a well round person! (to be a positive citizen) or grow up to be ONE!

A Student can come in to train for the wrong reasons...our goals to guide them towards the "RIGHT" reasons of learning the martial arts.

Those that "CANNOT" are usually ask to leave after a while...

Just my thoughts on this.................Aloha

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, judging character isn't something that you can teach to someone - or characterize easily. People are very complex and can be difficult to judge without a great deal of interaction. Obviously if you know someone for a while, you will start to get a feel for these things, but even then, sometimes people will surprise you.

The most instructors can do is their best. I really do agree that the best way is to put them into a sparring match.

As was said, there are some basic indicators, control of temper, control of movement, motivation for training, etc. But there is no substitute for just being able to read people.

I don't think that I'd do a background check, although I would want medical approval.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is the student willing to:
do excercises without giving up,
is the student willing to help others learn,
dose the student take critisism well or do they rebel ,
do they listen then try to do as instructed or do they just continue to do their own thing,
is there practice determened on what happened outside of class or can they leave that behind durring practice
Do they always have a "chip" on their shoulder
will they do that little extra on there own to learn or help others understand
are they sober or high when they try to practice
do they show respect for their parents or peers

not saying any of these would disqualify me from teaching them but it might show what they are realy like

There are many other things to look for also these are just off the top of my head

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have said -- I don't require a recommendation or letter of introduction, nor do I (generally; I reserve the right to do so if I develop good, legally sufficient cause!) run background checks on people. I gather plenty of info from working with them... and trusting my intuition about them.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Personally I start critiquing (I hate the word judging) students the minute they walk through the door for the first time. Do they show you and the school respect right from the start, do they speak with respect, do they try to be a know it all or a sponge. One big thing I listen for is the questions they ask. Why are they looking at getting into martial arts. Do they seem interested in bettering themselves or simply want to learn to beat a guy down etc etc. I have personally turned away students who have seemed to me to be only interested in the pain of others. That's not why I teach martial arts. Once they're on the floor I watch how they work with the other students. Are they open to suggestion or do they shrug off efforts of help. I also echo statements that have already been stated in this thread!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We interview all potential members. Once they have spoken with at least one of the staff they are interviewed by me. We have a list of questions we present during our conversations. These questions range from what is their interest in the martial arts and why to personal back ground information and lifestyle. These questions and answers help provide us with an insight to their interest as well as their personality.

They are asked to fill-out an application with more detailed information and with some more questions. Once they have passed that portion of the application process we invite them to attend and participate in a class. No obligation, no cost. We want to see how they react to others and how they respond to instructions and a bit of physical and mental pressure. Again this gives us valuable information about the applicant. We then meet with those students who had contact during the class with the applicant about their experience with them, again giving us another perspective and information about the person. This process happens quickly, often in passing. A quick how did it go and answer with a smile or frown or even just by observation how all interacted.

Have never had to ask for police records however have on a few occasions requested statements from Doctor’s as to mental or physical health due to an individual’s particular circumstance and just because of that it doesn’t reject them as a student. Over the years this process has worked quite well. I have never had to ask a student we accepted to leave but have had several turned down. Not necessarily because they were bad or a risk but more so due to personality or maturity differences that would have created problems. We have had some return a year or two later with changes in maturity and accepted them as students.

The most important thing we look for is attitude.
Attitude toward family, life and work as well as training.

Danny T

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is alot of pain involved with proper Jujutsu training.

People with weak minds, bullys and the like dont last long due to this, a couple of times we have overtourqued those who were trying to damage others as a way of saying " Stop it or we will break your arms in a way that they will never be the same."
They either straiten out or leave, most have left.

If you keep the art real, and dont water it down, weak minded people will stay away, we are also not the most inclusive bunch,we are polite but we keep a little detachment from a new student until they prove themselves a good person or someone who can hang with how we train.
We are a Jujutsu Club, not a Jujutsu business, so we can be this way.
When I am running a school, I will have a beginer's coaurse to gauge who progresses and who gets the " You have completed Basic Self Defense 101!- Good Luck" and a send off.

Latest Discussions