Juche on youtube

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for this, Robert! I was taught Juche as a 2nd Dan. I remember it being very hard, but I didn't remember it. Now I remember how hard that was!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm just not a fan of these types of performances. The sine wave movement is less intrusive than others I have seen, but the rhythm is very robotic and mechanical. I prefer more variation in speed and timing. Not saying the guy on the video isn't skilled - he clearly is, having practiced for thousands of hours.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just not a fan of these types of performances. The sine wave movement is less intrusive than others I have seen, but the rhythm is very robotic and mechanical. I prefer more variation in speed and timing. Not saying the guy on the video isn't skilled - he clearly is, having practiced for thousands of hours.

Well, I agree and I don't. The kicks at the beginning are supposed to be in slow motion (and that's 2 kicks - first a side kick, then a hook kick), so I don't have a problem with that. Posing the jump kick, however, is something was taught to not do.

Looking at the man's dobok, he is at least a IV Dan (or he wouldn't have stripes down the legs of his pants) and an International Instructor (or he wouldn't have the stripes down his arms) - so this may well be the way which ever ITF he's in was teaching it at the time he performed it; I can't say.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I agree and I don't. The kicks at the beginning are supposed to be in slow motion (and that's 2 kicks - first a side kick, then a hook kick), so I don't have a problem with that. Posing the jump kick, however, is something was taught to not do.

Looking at the man's dobok, he is at least a IV Dan (or he wouldn't have stripes down the legs of his pants) and an International Instructor (or he wouldn't have the stripes down his arms) - so this may well be the way which ever ITF he's in was teaching it at the time he performed it; I can't say.

Oh, I have no doubts he's doing it correctly by the standards of his org. Just not a fan of these types of forms... IMO, they only exhibit athleticism and are essentially just formalized sets of basics strung together. I like more depth to my patterns.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jaroslav Suska makes pretty much everything look easy. You should search youtube for a vid of him demonstrating at a seminar he and his instructor gave. It's sick.

As for the pattern itself, as Kacey said you really aren't supposed to "pose" out the dodging reverse turning kick once you land. You kick while dodging and land as you form an L-Stance executing a forearm guarding block.

Of course, I have much more difficulty with the pattern than Mr. Suska does :)

Pax,

Chris

Latest Discussions