journals

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you Instructors have your student keep a training journal on all the techniques that they learn? How many of you students choose to keep one even without your instructor asking you too.

I'm thinking about making it mandatory with all of my students, what is your opinion of this. Godd or Bad I would like to know.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you Instructors have your student keep a training journal on all the techniques that they learn? How many of you students choose to keep one even without your instructor asking you too.

It wouldn't be practical for my to do that, Terry, mostly my students are too young and/or casually involved with TKD. I think it's a great idea, though.

I'm thinking about making it mandatory with all of my students, what is your opinion of this. Godd or Bad I would like to know.

An excellent idea, most definitely. For one thing, if you as an instructor can read what they've written, you may be able to get a much better idea of what misconceptions they're still carrying around in their heads about exactly what the correct mechanics are for the techniques they're learning. And from their point of view, if they have to sit down and write something that makes what they've learned explicit, they may realize that, at a certain point, they only have a fuzzy idea of what to do at that point. So it can help them sharpen their own understanding of what they know vs. what they've missed.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've never kept a journal for my TKD practice. I have always just kept it in my head.

When I practiced American Kenpo, though, yes, I had a Training Manual with the techniques in it. As I would be taught variations on the techniques, or bits of knowledge here and there I would record them in that Manual, writing in notes.

Now, the American Kenpo seems to be more complicated. There is no way for me to remember all of these things without writing them down. I could do the techniques well enough to pass a test, but to know all of the little things that came along? No. It was too much.

And, yes, I still have the manual!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now, the American Kenpo seems to be more complicated. There is no way for me to remember all of these things without writing them down. I could do the techniques well enough to pass a test, but to know all of the little things that came along? No. It was too much.

The Kenpo pattern sequences are really long, I gather... a journal sounds as if it could be a necessity there.

I wonder if many CMA people keep journals for just that same reason....?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kenpo pattern sequences are really long, I gather... a journal sounds as if it could be a necessity there.

I would imagine so.

As far as TKD goes if you are really teaching all the aspect to the Art then a journal is a must. No one person can remember every single move or technique during there entire career. I use a log from the last three decades that shows how certain techs. have changed over the years. I also use this a a general guideline for my training as well.

I beleieva journal or log is a part of your everyday training.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I take notes in 2 places - my requirements book (when making notes about things listed in the book, so they're right there where I need them), and in a notebook.

The problem I see with making it mandatory (rather than strongly recommended, which is what I do) is that there are some students who just don't learn that way, for whom writing is a chore rather than the reinforcement/memory aid that such a journal should be - and forcing them to keep a journal against their natural inclination could cause more problems than it solves in the long run. I also have a couple of students who are developmentally delayed, and writing is physically difficult and not very effective for them, and a couple whose native language is not English... so when they do take notes, they're in either Korean or Spanish, depending on the student, and I can't read what they write! :) So while I understand why you want your students to do this - and even agree with the reasons - making it mandatory might not have the effect you're looking for.

Instead, you might display your training journal, and talk every so often about how keeping it has helped you on your journey through MA.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

This CMA guy doesn't. I just train it, train it and then train it some more. It’s all in my noggin.

I am not sure what any other CMA guy will say but it has been my experience that many do not. And as far as I can tell none of my Sifu's did either. They trained it trained it and trained some more and that is how they remember.

It is my feeling that traditionally you did not keep a journal, or at least that has been my experience. However it does appear that after people are considered masters they wrote books and senior students were given the book or their sifu’s sifu’s book to copy, also why things change and why there are sometimes errors, they made a transcription mistake.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have written down almost everything I have learned since my first class back in January of 1991. The binder is huge now and I finally transfered it all to disc and even to internet based backup so I should always have a copy somewhere.
I think it is a great idea to get your students to do it. Just make it so they can use a typical $1 spiral notebook or binder from a local store rather than a pricey one from a martial arts company.
If you want to dictate what they write in it, you could make your own pages, hole punch them, and make the students use them in three ring binders, or at least until they feel comfortable enough to make their own format.

AoG

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It was not that it was so very long, but rather that there are so many variations to them.

Now, I have been able to practice TKD without notes, because to me, a punch is a punch. A kick is a kick. Period. I smash the target, or I block. Now, mind you, before I came to this board, I had very little exposure to the meanings of hyungs and so forth, every once in a while we would get a little piece of one, but we did not study them. So, as I say, techniques are as they are, period.

Now, the American Kenpo, you see, its different. The Teacher shows you FIVE SWORDS and you practice it. You practice more, to become acquainted with it and you get it into the muscle memory. It is nice feeling then.

Then, the Teacher revisits the technique (and yes, before the extensions are taught!). Then, He says, "Now, consider if the left hand punches fast, as in a one-two combination, then, this neck strike can be used to block the second punch instead of hitting the neck, like so."

And, there are numerous OTHER variations, some even to the point where you gasp "That was FIVE SWORDS!" It didn't look like it at first.

And, the variations are bewildering at times. You see, it is a "scientific/westernized" type of martial art, from what I have been taught in my short visit to it. A lot of analysis, theory, and so forth.

There are Kenpo People who can spend hours talking about one motion!

No one could possibly remember all of that stuff unless they were a very superior human being. Its just too much!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We "require" everyone to bring a notebook to class (it of course doesn't always happen). If there is time in class (such as when students are practicing a new form on their own) or before and after class we strongly encourage students to take notes on what they learned that day. We tell them this will help with retention, and also helps them practice at home. We also encourage them to write down any questions they have when they are away from the school so they next time they come to class they can be sure to "remember" their question (since it is written down in the notebook they brought).
Not everyone uses a notebook for these purposes and our younger students often don't even bring one, but we are at least strongly encouraging them to use this tool to help them on their journey. And every instructor is more than happy to go over somethign slower after class so a student can get it down in writing.

On a side note, I have a notebook that I keep which has a section in it for new technqiues that I have learned, a section for philosophy type things (personal growth and thoughts, more of a journal) and then a section for notes for dojang related matters (lists of things to buy before the next tournament, reminders to myself of what we can do to improve our belt exam format, etc).
I also have a completely seperate notebook where I write down everything we did in class that night (I go in spurts of being good or bad about doing this). I write down the date, what type of class it was (adult, children, sparring, etc) and make notes if it was especially awesome. It is fun to go back and find cool drills or classes that were a really good workout and then implement things that we haven't done in awhile. It also is super great when I am teaching and not feeling very creative, I basically have tons of lesson plans right there at my finger tips!

CatNap

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't have journals for TKD but I do try and keep one on my computer for Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do as those are more my primary arts. Basically, in addition to the drills, terminology and history, I also try to keep the Chinese terms with the characters so I have something more accurate to go by than Romanization of the vocabulary.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had an excellent book with the kicks, blocks and other techniques taught in class, but I had to leave it in my parent's home when I traveled here. My old fellow students often copied those notes to prepare our tests. (We could fail if we didn't know the quantity of movements in the poomses, the name of a movement, etc besides the physical test)

Now I'm re-writing the poomses and other useful things. I really think it's a good tool to complement the training. IDK if mandatory, but at least highly recommended.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe a journal is the very essence of one's training. It is personal from your perspective on how a certain tech. works for you. Journal are also great from the seminar stand point of learning material fast, this way you can have those notes to go back to afterwards.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This CMA guy doesn't. I just train it, train it and then train it some more. It’s all in my noggin.

I am not sure what any other CMA guy will say but it has been my experience that many do not. And as far as I can tell none of my Sifu's did either. They trained it trained it and trained some more and that is how they remember.

It is my feeling that traditionally you did not keep a journal, or at least that has been my experience. However it does appear that after people are considered masters they wrote books and senior students were given the book or their sifu’s sifu’s book to copy, also why things change and why there are sometimes errors, they made a transcription mistake.

I understand, when I was in Okinawa training the Instructor use to tell us if we needed to write things down it was suppose to be right after classes, that way it was still fresh in your head. I also believe in training the tech so many times until it becomes part of your everyday life. Just like walking and talking. Great point though Xue.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now I'm re-writing the poomses and other useful things. I really think it's a good tool to complement the training. IDK if mandatory, but at least highly recommended.

Y'know, it's funny you mention this, because when I get bored in staff meetings, I start writing out tul moves... then it looks like I'm taking notes!

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score

It is mandatory for all my students.
What they put in there is up to them.
I review them from time to time.
I can tell you what I was doing and learning all the way back to 79

Latest Discussions