Joint Supplements

Q

Quick Sand

I've heard a lot of people mention taking Glucosamine and other similar supplements for their joints. I have some knee problems and was wondering if it might help me :confused: but I'd like more information on it. Does anyone know a lot about these or know where I could get good info? Thanks.

OP
K

Kirk

Biosil. It's worked so well for so many around me.

OP
J

Jill666

I've had mild relief with glucosamine. The recommended dose for someone <200 lbs, is to 1,500mg daily (in divided doses) and 2,000mg daily for someone >200lbs. Chondriton is supposed to help absorption of the Glucosamine for max benefit, but I can't say I had better results that way.

Warnings for the above; Chondriton interacts poorly with anti-coagulants (aspirin, coumadin, NSAIDS like motrin, ibuprofen & advil). Glucosamine may inhibit insulin production, so it's not recommended for anyone who is diabetic.

This info comes from a nursing drug manual of alternative medicines I own.

Last thing- ask your pharmacist what companies are most reputable in supplement production. Supplements aren't cheap in the long run, but you don't want to buy crap. Also, you need to take this daily for an effect- it's not like tylenol you take when it hurts.

Hope this helps!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had nothing but good luck with taking the suppliment. I searched for a long time and did a lot of reading/research. Anyway I couldn't be happier my knee feels much better and my shoulder doesn't hurt hardly at all after my deltoid workouts and this suppliment.

OP
O

Old Warrior

Just over a year ago I put my Harley down and tore my mcl, acl and miniscus in my left knee. I started on 1500 mg/day of glucosamine and chondroiten and I healed fine and I have been back to fencing (European and Kendo) for the last 9 months. Since I'm 54 and don't heal like I used to, I give some credit to the supplement.

OP
J

Jill666

Excellent! I'm glad to hear it Warrior...:ultracool

OP
F

FLY

Last year I had an annoying pain in my knee and I was told by a physiotherapist (sp?) that shark cartilage (which is available in pill form) is good for the joints.
I haven't tried it yet myself (the pain has gone for now) so I can't tell you from personal experience if it works or not, but it may give you a more natural choice over the 'modern' medicines.

FLY.
:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I too would be interested in hearing if anyone has any luck with the shark cartilage.

Latest Discussions