joining kempo karate

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I need your opinion. I am a 42 year old female who is interested in starting kempo karate. Am I too old for this or does it not matter? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by rachel

I need your opinion. I am a 42 year old female who is interested in starting kempo karate. Am I too old for this or does it not matter? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

What type of Kenpo? Mr. Parker had a guy who signed up when he was 48 or 50 something and made his Black Belt at 52 or later I think.

You are not too old. Mr. Parker's Kenpo doesn't have any acrobatic aerial kicks or anything and is mostly based pretty much on you standing up, punching to the upper body and kicking to the lower body.

But if it is not Ed Parker Kenpo I'd say watch a class, talk to some advanced students and see what the owner/instructor says. I don't know how many types of Kenpo/Kempo there are. But if they spell it with an "M" as in "Kenpo" then they are not likely in Ed Parker's lineage.

Hope this helps.
:asian:

G

gravity

Hey,

Age is but a mind set...
I was just reading Kenpo Karate 101 by Mr. Lee Wedlake Jr. He mentions a 68 year old male who joined his school a while ago. He achieved a black belt when he was 72 years old and his second degree when he was 75 years old!!! He also mentions a 68 year old female getting her black belt. Gosh thats great...salute :asian:

Perhaps the best thing to do is visit a kenpo school and talk to the instructor. Each school trains differently and a good school would cater to all ages.

Thank You Kindly

-LATER-

C

c2kenpo

Just to fix a question Kempo is slightly different then Kenpo but not really inportant to address your question Rachel.
Really any MA is a good choice but the most important choice is that you feel comfortable with the school and the instructor you have chosen. Shop areound a bit before you decide on a school and see if the school trains "HARDCORE" meaning they hit on each other a bit "too hard" or maybe the school does not seem to have a good enough education system.
This is kinda like going to college alll over again.
But for adults either Kempo/Kenpo I think is agreat choice as both are more heavily rooted in the grounds of self-defense and not tournament or sport.
Hope this helps Rachel. And good luck on your Journey.

Dave "C2"

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hi Rachel,

Nice to meet you.. *s*
I am 42 and am passionate about Kenpo. Let me give you a bit of history on me and Kenpo..
I met Seig (my husband) who was very involved in Martial Arts from the time he was a toddler. Seig basically co-erced me into coming to his school (Florida at the time) I decided to give it a try.. I was 37 then. I had a bad car accident the following year which took me out of training for awhile.. (lower lumbar fusion and numerous surgeries) then we moved north and Seig started teaching Kenpo at a college nearby, I had a paralyzed foot from the surgery and felt I really couldn't continue in training.. But he insisted and I tried. Last Christmas my foot started moving on its own accord. He and I opened our own studio a year ago June and though I'm the oldest woman there ( the general student populace is college students) that doesn't matter.. Sure at times I 'feel' my age but 99% of the time there is absolutely no difference between me and the 20 yr olds :)
So from one who's 'there' age-wise , I strongly say.. GO FOR IT~!!
Just make sure if you have any concerns you speak to your instructor upfront and let them 'in' on any medical issues you may have etc.

It's great for the body.. but even better for the emotional mind..

In Kenpo.

Tess

K

Kirk

There's a blue belt in my class .. I think she told me she's 65.
She's in good shape, and any punk that might think about attacking her in the street is gonna get one RUDE AWAKENING
lemme tell ya! :D

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
.. but make sure you take it at a speed that does not discourage you (ie - injure you.) It may help to have an experienced instructor and if you live in an area that has more than one school, shop around. Look for a school where you fit in, and you think would help achieve the goals you set for yourself. There are many reasons to try Kenpo, and they are as unique to each individual, as the number of people in a class. I, of course, don't think you get any better than Kenpo (spelled with an "N"), but I have devoted the majority of my adult life to this Art. It offers a unique opportunity, through a Concept called "Tailoring", to be modified to fit the invidual practitioner. Don't let age be the reason not to try.

The gentleman CDHALL was referring to is Howard Silva, and at 72 spry years, came into Austin this summer, and taught a 2 hour class for me that rocked. He is now a 5th Black and one of my favorite mentors in American Kenpo.

Good luck and welcome to Kenpo,
-Michael
UKS-Texas

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
I am 42 and am passionate about Kenpo. Sure at times I 'feel' my age but 99% of the time there is absolutely no difference between me and the 20 yr olds :)Tess

YOU'RE 42 ........... Holy Guack-a-moly! I thought you were 27 or so...... you know.... Seigs age!

Oh Myyyyyyy

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings

.. but make sure you take it at a speed that does not discourage you (ie - injure you.) (snip)

-Michael
UKS-Texas

Rachel,
I sure agree with Mr. Billings on this.

To be realistic about injuries.. nothing to deter anyone from trying.. but sports of any kind .. eg Contact sports.. you will get bruised.. this is a given.. get yourself some protective gear .. and wear it.. if you have tendency toward bruising or anemia.. I Strongly suggest wearing forearm guards while blocking an opponent.. Shin guards when practicing Kicks with each other.. and Definitely head gear , hand gear when sparring.
Make sure you're warmed up before stretching especially if you are not used to it.. and depending how fit calistenically you are..Go with your instincts and become self -protective. You know your body the best from anyone :) Kenpo is Fun and depending on what you wish to 'do with it' Tournaments, demos, *self defense is a given I think for most* or teaching in the long run.. It's a physical and Mental Art Form...~!

Tess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

YOU'RE 42 ........... Holy Guack-a-moly! I thought you were 27 or so...... you know.... Seigs age!

Oh Myyyyyyy

Snorts.. you know how old I am Mr. C.~!! Seig's 31 and I'm bout 11 yrs older.. ~!! *does the math.. Yup.. gonna be 43 in Dec. *hahhaa thanks~! Ya made my day..*G*

S

SingingTiger

I'm 39, and started training a year ago. It's something that I've thought about on and off for almost 30 years, and I'm very, very glad that I finally looked into it.

You're never too old! Having said that, I'd also agree with KenpoTess: you will probably sustain injuries, even if they're only minor ones (bruises, etc.), so you need to be aware of your ability to heal. Always listen to your body.

Rich

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess

Snorts.. you know how old I am Mr. C.~!! Seig's 31 and I'm bout 11 yrs older.. ~!! *does the math.. Yup.. gonna be 43 in Dec. *hahhaa thanks~! Ya made my day..*G*

Oops.. I lost a year.. Seig's 32~!!
ack hahahaa

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall

Mr. Parker's Kenpo doesn't have any acrobatic aerial kicks

No? We do a few, such as

* jumping, spinning, back kick
* jumping, spinning, outside crescent kick
* juumping side kick
* jumping roundhouse kick
* butterfly kick

etc.,

Are these not present in the pure EPAK syllabus? We have some kickboxing mixed into our kenpo,. so maybe they come from that.

Ian.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

we have all those and more........

Before I make a (more) complete fool of myself, I'm going to go look at my notes and then I'll be back.

But for example, I see a lot of pictures in magazines and studios of what is apparently a "flying scissor kick" in Tae Kwon Do (don't know what type). You jump up between two people and kick them both in the head with opposite feet. You are more or less facing one of them and the other is more or less behind you. You are level with their head. It looks like you are doing the splits in the air.

I don't think we have this kick in the standard EPAK curriculum, but perhaps you guys can post about this until tomorrow when I come back with more specific examples. :)

I know that prior to EPAK when I did Chinese Kenpo I worked on 2 variations of a Jump Spinning Side Kick and finally got it to work against a bag, but I have not seen one of these executed, demnstrated or taught at camp or at any other EPAK activity since. That doesn't mean though, that it is not in Mr. Parker's curriculum. And I don't mean as "something to know of," like that one long chart in Book 3 or wherever that categorizes every possible kick, I meant that I don't think we have stuff like that as required basics for any particular rank and that neither do we employ them in our forms or techniques. I'm not trying to disrespect Mr. C, I just want to clarify my statement.
I'll be back. :eek:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings

The gentleman CDHALL was referring to is Howard Silva, and at 72 spry years, came into Austin this summer, and taught a 2 hour class for me that rocked. He is now a 5th Black and one of my favorite mentors in American Kenpo.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

I didn't want to say his name because I was not sure I had the details right, but that was him. And he taught a very impressive advanced class at Mr. Duffy's camp one year. I think it must have been between '91 and '93. He was a walking, talking, Encyclopedia of Kenpo.

Did I get that right? I thought he was 50ish when he signed up. He's inspiring to me for many reasons. :karate:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall

But for example, I see a lot of pictures in magazines and studios of what is apparently a "flying scissor kick" in Tae Kwon Do (don't know what type). You jump up between two people and kick them both in the head with opposite feet. You are more or less facing one of them and the other is more or less behind you. You are level with their head. It looks like you are doing the splits in the air.

I don't think we have this kick in the standard EPAK curriculum, but perhaps you guys can post about this until tomorrow when I come back with more specific examples. :)

Fair comment, and I know what you mean now! But 'aerial' kick was a little too all-encompassing for what you meant!

I don't think I could pull off some of the pirouetting TKD style kicks if I tried, (does quick mental calulation to get to American style weight...) 198 pounds just doesn't fly that gracefully IMHO!

Ian.

also, I just turned purple belt! yay!

J

jleonardusa

I have a good friend who is 40 and she is one of the best 2nd degree black I have ever trained with or seen. She could easily kick the *** of most of the guys in the studio if she wanted/needed to. Age is not a barrier there. She has excellent technique and has developed incredible power over the past few years.

We have several other people who train over forty, right up to almost 70 years old. Age is not a problem for them, and you shouldnt let it be a barrier for you either. Just make sure that you have no physical problems that could be dangerous first ! Start out easy and work your way to where you want to be. A good instructor will help you to reach your potential no matter what your age.

At least give it a try, you wont know how much you are going to enjoy it until you do ! ! ! :)

In the Spirit of Kenpo

James Leonard

Latest Discussions