Jkd

I

IFAJKD

ok I have to bite quick then steer clear......How is LD tracing to Dan Inosanto ? I ask for purely educatoional reasons. If he does shouldn't you have known that from the start ?

Magua: No not all JKD people fit any mode. None the less ther are far more talented JKD people than not. It seems the bad ones get all the attention. The fact that it is a young system and easily traced to proper authority lends itself to a certain celebrity status in the MA world. Fact is that it can only trace to one of two people alive today. It is then hard not to be involved with these people. If you have ever been around them you notice instantly they are in a class with no body else. That doesn't mean they are more than human beings. Their skill however, like anyothers at that level ( and there are very very few) has to be respected and admired and their knowledge acknowledged.

John it is sad when these personality seekers do so for the name. They then miss what these people truly have to offer by being pathetically star struck. It does however seem difficult for some to give others the respect they deserve because it threatens their legitimacy. If this doesnt apply to you, then great. It most certainly does to others huh.

M

Magua

it is the student that i was speaking of..who the originator was is irrelevant to my statement..i respect all styles and practicioners..
it maybe true that a jkd practicioners may in certain areas be more advanced than practicioners of another style,i did not mean to single out any one style..i only mentioned jkd in particular because unless i'm mistaken this is a jkd forum..
i merely wished to address a problem that exists in all styles..if the shoe fits..you know the rest

J

jmdrake

Originally posted by IFAJKD

ok I have to bite quick then steer clear......How is LD tracing to Dan Inosanto ? I ask for purely educatoional reasons. If he does shouldn't you have known that from the start ?

He has a cert from Jerry Poteet. Someone other than LD told me that Jerry was certified under Dan. I haven't been able to verify that last part one way or the other. I'm happy with my training either way.

John it is sad when these personality seekers do so for the name. They then miss what these people truly have to offer by being pathetically star struck. It does however seem difficult for some to give others the respect they deserve because it threatens their legitimacy. If this doesnt apply to you, then great. It most certainly does to others huh.

For the record I think Dan Inosanto is a fine martial artist and a fine person. I've never read where he said anything negative about anyone. I have seen negative things being said by people from his "camp" but then negative comments have come from just about every camp. I also appreciate just about everything I've heard from Diana Inosanto. What goes on no more reflects badly on them than does the acts of English soccer fans on the actual atheletes.

Regards,

John M. Drake

I

IFAJKD

From what I know, Jerry was a student but never certified by Dan. Diana Lee Inosanto is great. She moves unbelievebly well. Have you ever watched Dan Inosanto training (not just teaching) just curious. Cool you are happy with training under LD. Although I have issues with what LD claims to be doing, I have to say that I have not seen him move. most of his written theory is ok from what I have read.
So much politics in JKD and even more from those outside looking in. There is a fine line from those of us committed to JKD, to address to an extent, the claims and comments of others and challenge interpretations of those not involved in the art. The general public's education falls as a responsibility to us.
John you and I have not agreed on much but we have both agreed that there are seperate camps out there. Some questionable others illegit for sure. Beasly for one, has taken many students with him and clouded them on JKD. I simply hate to see that happen. Someone like that has power by fame and media and can influence many people who are unaware. Where do we draw the line.
To some extent these politics have to exist.
It would be nice if there were clear answers. I know I don't trust the honor of others to be the answer. Many too fame hung self motivated.
Peace

J

jmdrake

Hello,

I've never seen Diana training or teaching. I haven't even seen her on video. Does she ever do seminars? I would love to attend one. I know she's supposed to be starring in a new film http://www.forbiddensamurai.com/ and I plan to see it when it comes out. Also what is the policy at Dan's school on "drop ins"? Since I live on the other side of the country it's pretty much a moot point, but if/when I'm on the west coast I would love to check things out for myself. Anyway, what I like about Diana is the articles I've read that she has written. She just comes across as genuinely nice.

You're right. Beasley is confusing. Does he really have a lot of students? I've just never heard anyone say anything positive about him. I've never seen his videos, but I have read his articles. He contradicts himself too much for me. I would think most people could see this, but perhaps not. I don't know. Perhaps there is a place for politics as long as it's kept in perspective. But it's so easy to get carried away. I just read where someone said they were getting threatening emails from one camp (not yours or mine) because they were in a heated dispute from the camp "leader" over training tactics! It's just not worth all that. I'm certain that this particular "leader" is honorable and wouldn't ever want anyone under him to do something like that.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Originally posted by IFAJKD

From what I know, Jerry was a student but never certified by Dan. Diana Lee Inosanto is great. She moves unbelievebly well. Have you ever watched Dan Inosanto training (not just teaching) just curious. Cool you are happy with training under LD. Although I have issues with what LD claims to be doing, I have to say that I have not seen him move. most of his written theory is ok from what I have read.
So much politics in JKD and even more from those outside looking in. There is a fine line from those of us committed to JKD, to address to an extent, the claims and comments of others and challenge interpretations of those not involved in the art. The general public's education falls as a responsibility to us.
John you and I have not agreed on much but we have both agreed that there are seperate camps out there. Some questionable others illegit for sure. Beasly for one, has taken many students with him and clouded them on JKD. I simply hate to see that happen. Someone like that has power by fame and media and can influence many people who are unaware. Where do we draw the line.
To some extent these politics have to exist.
It would be nice if there were clear answers. I know I don't trust the honor of others to be the answer. Many too fame hung self motivated.
Peace

I

IFAJKD

Diana Inosanto does do seminars. far as drop ins at the Inosanto Academy I would encourage you to check out their site. I know they prefer to have visitors plan in advance. They have a fee guide as well.

Beasly: Confusing yes...His so called college class and certified in JKD by Lewis as well as his general slamming of "concepts" people ( I hate that term but for lack of a more expediant description)

What is this threatening emails crap about ? I can't believe that anyone would have such a heated response to training tactics. I am glad I'm not in that one. As you know I can get quite heated all by myself. not good.:argue:

I just recently reconnected with my very first instructor in FMA and JKD. what a gas. There too politics however. Hard to get away from. But you know I just love the learning and the training.
John still looking to hook up with you too someday. OJKD dude. maybe we can argue in person then huh. LOL.
Later.

A

Aikia

IFAJKD,

I have only recently joined this forum. I can see you have questions. This post may make you feel better. I do not own a JKD school, nor do I make any attempt to recruit students from other JKD schools. I only accept black belts who contact me after studying my video series entitled "Jeet Kune Do: Scientific Streetfighting". Black Belts completing an exam ($60) may earn a certificate stating that they have studied the tape series and have demonstrated the skills taught in the program. You can find out more at www.aikia.net. Most bkack belts interested in my JKD affiliation attend the world famous Karate College summer camp for personal instruction and testing. The series was filmed at the Panther Video studio in CA. Several volumes remain on the Top 10 list in JKD for Century Martial Arts. The information is certainly not exclusive to JKD students and has been used by martial artists of various styles. The emphasis is on contact sparring. The reasons I accept only black belt students is because I prefer to remain noncommercial and I feel that JKD is best experienced by those who already understand the limitations of fixed systems. From 1993-1997 I promoted the First Original JKD camps at Radford University where I am employed as a Professor. Perhaps that's where you assumed I was recruiting students.

I am not shure why you would think that I "slammed" the concepts group.
After all I wrote the first published article on the Larry Hartsell JKD group of Charlotte NC in 1983. I followed Dan Inosanoto for five years at summer camps and seminars, training, collecting information etc. I wrote and published the first book on the concepts method in 1988, endorsed on the cover by Dan Inosanoto. I even put Paula in a magazine article (abouytDan) in 1988. In fact I have proabably written a number of articles that you have read. Do you remember? Sounds more like I have personally promoted the concepts group. Now that we have cleared that up, I'll bet you agree. How's the fishing in MINN?

Jerry Beasley,Ed.D.
Black Belt Magazine Hall of Fame
Instructor of the Year 2000

Latest Discussions