JKD vs. Wing Chun

DoubleZ711

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don't flame me please!!!

How does this Martial Art compare with Wing Chun in terms of pure self-defense and effectiveness? The only reason I wouldn't want to take something simpler like karate or taekwondo is because most of the moves they teach don't really seem to be useful in a real life situation, but then again, I am only a boxer, which can hardly be considered a real martial art, so I may be wrong. Anyways, I could lie and say that I am not at all fascinated by this art simply because of Bruce Lee, but that would of course.. be a lie.

However, I am thinking of starting an MA pretty soon and I am thinking of either this or Wing Chun.

If one of you guys has the time, can you please tell me the MAJOR differences between the two? I don't need to know slightly insignificant stuff like where it was founded and by whom etc...

Anyways, Thanks!!

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
There's quite a difference between JKD and Wing Chun. Depending on the school, you'll see more or less difference.

JKD typically uses Wing Chun style trapping at close / trapping range, and even that's fairly modified from traditional Wing Chun.

At medium / boxing range, we typically use (guess what) western boxing.

Kicks are used at long / kicking range.

I'm sure others will give a more in depth analysis.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't flame me please!!!

How does this Martial Art compare with Wing Chun in terms of pure self-defense and effectiveness? The only reason I wouldn't want to take something simpler like karate or taekwondo is because most of the moves they teach don't really seem to be useful in a real life situation, but then again, I am only a boxer, which can hardly be considered a real martial art, so I may be wrong. Anyways, I could lie and say that I am not at all fascinated by this art simply because of Bruce Lee, but that would of course.. be a lie.

However, I am thinking of starting an MA pretty soon and I am thinking of either this or Wing Chun.

If one of you guys has the time, can you please tell me the MAJOR differences between the two? I don't need to know slightly insignificant stuff like where it was founded and by whom etc...

Anyways, Thanks!!

Wing Chun was Bruce Lee's base style when he created JKD. Depending on the school and it they are from the 'original' or 'concepts' camps will depend on how much Wing Chun you will see in the approach.

I guess the bigger question is what are your goals? JKD might fit better with your boxing background, but if you are looking for a 'traditional' art than Wing Chun would be a good route. I think that if both are trained correctly they can be effective, so go and visit both schools and see which one fits you better.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess the bigger question is what are your goals? JKD might fit better with your boxing background, but if you are looking for a 'traditional' art than Wing Chun would be a good route. I think that if both are trained correctly they can be effective, so go and visit both schools and see which one fits you better.

That's very well put. Ultimately, isn't JKD about being able to express your MA as naturally as you breathe? If you find that fit in Wing Chun, it can eventually become your JKD. Otherwise, explore until you find the mix that does fit. Since this is part of the philosophy of JKD, a good JKD school would be a great place to start. (And BTW, I'm a Wing Tsun guy... but not exclusively so!).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a flame but I do despair whenever a thread title says ....v.... !

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun was Bruce Lee's base style when he created JKD. Depending on the school and it they are from the 'original' or 'concepts' camps will depend on how much Wing Chun you will see in the approach.

Now what is the difference between 'original' and 'concepts'?

I have seen schools use one of the 2 words. I have always wondered what is the difference.

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
Original = what Sijo Bruce Lee taught during his life.

Concepts incorporates other martial arts (Kali, Muay Thai, etc) and is associated with Sifu Dan Inosanto's teaching.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Original = what Sijo Bruce Lee taught during his life.

Concepts incorporates other martial arts (Kali, Muay Thai, etc) and is associated with Sifu Dan Inosanto's teaching.

To expand a little further, the "original" approach to JKD is heavily influenced by Bruce Lee's Jun Fan Gung Fu which was his actual system that he created. There was a specific curriuculum and progression that students would learn as far as techniques and drills. Even Dan Inosanto teaches the Jun Fan before introducing students to the other styles (as I have understood it).

As joeygil states, the "concepts" approach is using the concepts and ideas of JKD and applies them to whatever arts the instructor teaches. Using Dan Inosanto as an example, he has heavily infused the art with filipino martial arts, and now Muay Thai and BJJ as well. These arts were not taught by Bruce Lee and this is why there is a split among the camps as to what is "closer" to what JKD is and should be.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why, I've never known you shy away from a good argument? :p ;)

Besides, everyone knows Wing Chun is better. ;)

Hey I'm a Scorpio female, what can I say!

I've never practised a CMA but am hugely interested in all martial arts. I beleive too that CMAs are the 'daddy' of the other arts we do.

Whin Chun is fine as long as the whole words are used, I cannot take it seriously when it's abbreviated to WC. :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Whin Chun is fine as long as the whole words are used, I cannot take it seriously when it's abbreviated to WC. :)

A lot of us Yanks won't get your reference (WC = Limey dialect for toilet, head, crapper, porcelain throne, etc.), but remember, they use that term in Hong Kong too! That was one reason Leung Ting chose to call his branch "WT". It's true, I heard him say so myself. That's another benefit of JKD. I can't think of anything funny about the name.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of us Yanks won't get your reference (WC = Limey dialect for toilet, head, crapper, porcelain throne, etc.), but remember, they use that term in Hong Kong too! That was one reason Leung Ting chose to call his branch "WT". It's true, I heard him say so myself. That's another benefit of JKD. I can't think of anything funny about the name.

Not a dialect word, it's actually an official word used on the doors of public lavatories and on maps, tourist guides, property descriptions, hotels, ads etc. It stands for water closet and is correct usage in many official places.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok now I'm confused. My first action on logging onto MT is to go to the 'new in the last 24 posts' bit and as I scroll down there's thread 'JKD v Whin Chun' only it hasn't got the little symbol on that means I posted on it and there's only a couple of posts, it's also in the JKD part of the forum. The OP is exactly the same as this one.

Why duplicate a thread word for word?

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok now I'm confused. My first action on logging onto MT is to go to the 'new in the last 24 posts' bit and as I scroll down there's thread 'JKD v Whin Chun' only it hasn't got the little symbol on that means I posted on it and there's only a couple of posts, it's also in the JKD part of the forum. The OP is exactly the same as this one.

Think the OP posted this in both the Whin Chun and the JKD forum, presumably thinking to get the views of both, without realising that only one thread was necessary.

Why DO you write "Whin Chun"? :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I don't know you could always copy and paste this over there and ask :D

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't flame me please!!!

Anyways, Thanks!!

Major differences......

Wing Chun= System

JKD= Concept

You can't compare the two or have them do battle because one is a 'system' and the other is ones' own personal approach to MA. JKD is all about finding what works for the individual and is open to all techniques from any style/system that works for YOU. Wing Chun is a system with set moves and applications and, depending on the teacher, sticks to its groundings. There are, of course, Wing Chun instructors who expand the syllabus to incorporate stuff like groundwork, but that's another story.

If you are serious about any art, just go along and see how you get on with the training and the instructor. Doesn't matter what style it is on the posters, get in the dojo and see for yourself.

Hope this helps

Pancake85

White Belt
Reaction score
i think that ultimately wing chun is the way to go. however it is very difficult to find a qualified wing chun teacher who is not opening up another 'mcdojo'.

bruce lee created his own style because he was not qualified to teach wing chun (being a mid level student in terms of knowledge of the concepts). despite jkd being more primitive than wing chun, most jkd teachers come from competitive sports backgrounds and thus might even make you a more competent fighter

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion coming from boxing is hard. I came from boxing as well and I had to unlearn alot of really bad habits.