JKD Leg Obstruction Question

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I find that I can knee kick at the same range I can leg kick. the Wing Chun lop gerk for example is quite close range.
In sparring I still press the knee, I just don't strike it. I don't know that it's so easy for me to change muscle memory so quickly.
For JKD however, I believe we should focus on the knee, along with other areas of structural integrity. Wouldn't this be the most simple way to stop someone?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find that I can knee kick at the same range I can leg kick. the Wing Chun lop gerk for example is quite close range.
In sparring I still press the knee, I just don't strike it. I don't know that it's so easy for me to change muscle memory so quickly.
For JKD however, I believe we should focus on the knee, along with other areas of structural integrity. Wouldn't this be the most simple way to stop someone?

You can , but what I think you are talking about there is more of a stamping type kick.
Where instead of the leg coming up from the ground and maintaining much the same angle as it was in the stance , there is a slight chamber so it can stamp down.

In that case , the hook kick can be in the same range , as long as we are talking about impacting with the shin about three inches above the ankle.
But personally I find stamp kicks to be better suited to targeting the back of the knee joint on a side on opponent , it breaks the angle of their leg and just collapses it.

When you focus on the knee from front on it is easier to halt their advance , because of the simple fact that your bone structure is in the way of them moving forward.
Your body mass is directly behind your shin bone , femur bone etc , so basically all you have to do is time your kick so it impacts with maximum leverage and it will provide a barrier as well as doing a lot of damage.

That would be ideal , but if you find yourself closer than this range then other options are to attack the back of the knee joint , or attack the nerves in his thighs with your shin.

But as a caveat you should not open with a leg kick because it can put you within his punching range , use it as a finisher after a few of your own punches.
People are usually quite surprised with the amount of power that can be generatated with these close range hook kicks.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is actually pretty hard to put out a knee with a front on kick. You would either have to kick really hard or time it so the knee is straight. Which you will find most martial arts don't do.

Honestly if you haven't put out the knee you would have attacked the structure better hitting the thigh. As damaging the muscle is cumulative.

This is a kick thrown hard in competition.
http://fightland.vice.com/fight-school/the-oblique-kick-with-jon-jones

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is actually pretty hard to put out a knee with a front on kick. You would either have to kick really hard or time it so the knee is straight. Which you will find most martial arts don't do.

Honestly if you haven't put out the knee you would have attacked the structure better hitting the thigh. As damaging the muscle is cumulative.

This is a kick thrown hard in competition.
http://fightland.vice.com/fight-school/the-oblique-kick-with-jon-jones
Perhaps you learned one way to do it. I learned jeet tek as simply jeet tek. It's not a front, hook, or side kick bit can be any of these which directly stops our opponents advancement. Doing a frontal Jeet Tek works just fine dependent on how it's thrown. We are supposed to strive to be adaptive, so adjustments will always vary based on the relation to our opponent, but will always remain jeet tek.

Now in terms of the tech, why would we not want to take the most simple, direct, and economical line to stop an opponent? What could possibly be more simple direct and economical to an approaching target than a direct linear attack? We should forget about what they do in competition or whatever else and instead focus on the principles left to us by the founder. hitting the side of an oncoming target is simply not as obstructive as attacking directlyand takes less movement to do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps you learned one way to do it. I learned jeet tek as simply jeet tek. It's not a front, hook, or side kick bit can be any of these which directly stops our opponents advancement. Doing a frontal Jeet Tek works just fine dependent on how it's thrown. We are supposed to strive to be adaptive, so adjustments will always vary based on the relation to our opponent, but will always remain jeet tek.

Now in terms of the tech, why would we not want to take the most simple, direct, and economical line to stop an opponent? What could possibly be more simple direct and economical to an approaching target than a direct linear attack? We should forget about what they do in competition or whatever else and instead focus on the principles left to us by the founder. hitting the side of an oncoming target is simply not as obstructive as attacking directlyand takes less movement to do.

In that vid you are hitting the side of the knee because the other guy has moved off to the side. You are still kicking straight his position has changed. And striking the side of the knee is easier on a bare foot and the knee can handle less damage being torqued sideways.

If you have moved out of the way of an oncoming target and then hit their side that would have to be more obstructive.

If the oponant is going forwards and backwards you cannot gain positional advantage by going forwards and backwards with him.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since your opponent's knee joint is the close target to reach, also you don't have to kick high to take any risk that your kick may get caught, it makes sense to use it as your initial strike. You don't need to hurt your opponent's knee. All you need is to kick on it, (at that moment he can't kick you), you then drop your foot at the right place and do your thing (such as a punch to the face) after that. It's a great tool as part of your "entering strategy". You don't have to use it as your "finish move".

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Similarly, jeet tek can actually be done to any part of the body. Its merely an intercepting kick... done anywhere. Gung fu doesn't have such static labels on it's techniques.