Jin Jitsu in the park with fake black belt

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Blows my mind how one can try to fake BJJ. Kind of like faking sight if you're blind, you would keep bumping into things. Then fall off the curb and get hit by a Toyota.
His students must be blind if they're still choosing to train with him

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
The shocking thing about that episode is that it turned out Quieroz actually had been awarded a purple belt from a legit instructor. He certainly doesn't move anything like I would expect from a purple belt. Makes me wonder if he had a brain injury and forgot everything he knew.
Was his instructor drunk that night or something and turned up to class drunk and the next morning woke up with a hangover and had flashbacks of giving this guy on his first lesson his purple belt and thought oh boy I screwed up lol

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what that was...but about 2 min in I realized it was not BJJ.
Hey I never said it was Jiu Jitsu I said it was /JIN/ Jitsu learn the difference buddy....

LOL kidding just making fun of the fact I just realised I screwed up the title to this thread

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shocking thing about that episode is that it turned out Quieroz actually had been awarded a purple belt from a legit instructor. He certainly doesn't move anything like I would expect from a purple belt. Makes me wonder if he had a brain injury and forgot everything he knew.
Really?? Because I've seen him move in videos, and have thought I could handle him on the ground. A BJJ purple belt ought to be able to take care of me on the ground, and he doesn't look like he has that ability.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blows my mind how one can try to fake BJJ. Kind of like faking sight if you're blind, you would keep bumping into things. Then fall off the curb and get hit by a Toyota.
Interestingly, there's a condition (Anton–Babinski) where blind people actually think they can see. Our minds can fool us in amazing ways.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His students must be blind if they're still choosing to train with him
A new student doesn't really have the knowledge to make a judgement, unless the instructor is just horrid. This guy moves in some of the right ways, and acts competent, so a lot of beginners wouldn't be able to tell.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
A new student doesn't really have the knowledge to make a judgement, unless the instructor is just horrid. This guy moves in some of the right ways, and acts competent, so a lot of beginners wouldn't be able to tell.
These days it's a lot easier to see what's good and bad especially with Jiu Jitsu as it's seen all the time in mma you can see how a high level practitioner moves and doesn't move. I mean yeah before YouTube etc it would've been hard to tell but these days even people who are untrained can get a good idea in what's good and what's not and surely even when they get on the mat with the guy and he tries a submission and can't do it on a beginner that must raise serious questions

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Really?? Because I've seen him move in videos, and have thought I could handle him on the ground. A BJJ purple belt ought to be able to take care of me on the ground, and he doesn't look like he has that ability.
Maybe he did have the skill when he earned it but took years and years off and then decided to open a school for money. Not saying it is that but it's a possibility

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These days it's a lot easier to see what's good and bad especially with Jiu Jitsu as it's seen all the time in mma you can see how a high level practitioner moves and doesn't move. I mean yeah before YouTube etc it would've been hard to tell but these days even people who are untrained can get a good idea in what's good and what's not and surely even when they get on the mat with the guy and he tries a submission and can't do it on a beginner that must raise serious questions
But they don't actually have the knowledge to distinguish the important parts. It's like learning a new language that has a different set of phonemes. You might be able to tell if they're using the words in your NewLand-to-English dictionary, and whether they sound "foreign" enough to maybe be the right pronunciation, but you can't really tell if they're speaking fluently until after you've advanced considerably, yourself.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he did have the skill when he earned it but took years and years off and then decided to open a school for money. Not saying it is that but it's a possibility
An interesting possibility. Someone who just barely qualified for purple, then laid off immediately after...perhaps.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
An interesting possibility. Someone who just barely qualified for purple, then laid off immediately after...perhaps.
He may have believed he was good enough to run a school and promoted himself fro business reasons or it could just be the fact he was given the belt when he didnt deserve because he was friends with the instructor or paid him good money. Even if it's a good instructor no ones perfect I've seen amazing instructors give ranks that people don't deserve it happens. Either way the guy shouldn't be running a school. I mean he's teaching striking as well and did you see his striking in that video...

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
But they don't actually have the knowledge to distinguish the important parts. It's like learning a new language that has a different set of phonemes. You might be able to tell if they're using the words in your NewLand-to-English dictionary, and whether they sound "foreign" enough to maybe be the right pronunciation, but you can't really tell if they're speaking fluently until after you've advanced considerably, yourself.
Well even before I'd ever done Jiu Jitsu I could tell from videos who had skill and who didnt and when I went into my first class it was obvious who the better students were. It shouldn't take that long for people to realise especially when they realise the stuff they're being taught isn't actually working in rolling

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, there's a condition (Anton–Babinski) where blind people actually think they can see. Our minds can fool us in amazing ways.

Don't we have a thread knocking around here about how one martial art ( sorry can't remember the name of it) can make blind people see?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

You don't just forget things like how to do an armbar or that you don't offer your neck in a takedown. I'm only an intermediate student of BJJ but I couldn't see any black belt in their right mind give him a purple belt. A purple belt represents a significant investment in the art and is a recognition that the student is essentially an advanced student of the art.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well even before I'd ever done Jiu Jitsu I could tell from videos who had skill and who didnt and when I went into my first class it was obvious who the better students were. It shouldn't take that long for people to realise especially when they realise the stuff they're being taught isn't actually working in rolling
You have some MA experience. That's like having experience with a Romance language - it gives you insight into other areas. Someone with no knowledge will likely never catch up to their instructor. If the instructor is really weak (in technique), he won't be able to develop strong students.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

And unrealistic feedback in class.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Actually head outside single is a very BJJ thing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually head outside single is a very BJJ thing.
I think that's where I picked it up. It fits with our overall movement. I really need to pick up some different variations, and look into some doubles (what I use for a "double leg" isn't really the same thing, and is pretty rough on the person being taken down).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that's where I picked it up. It fits with our overall movement. I really need to pick up some different variations, and look into some doubles (what I use for a "double leg" isn't really the same thing, and is pretty rough on the person being taken down).

Yeah the version where you almost put them in guard?

This version for double is pretty much the tits. I mean if you just want - high percentage double for self defence.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Coincidently enough, I went to college with a gal named Babinski. She made a lot of us go blind.

Latest Discussions