Japan's tattoo ban

ronki23

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This may be new for some people but the Japanese (and to a lesser extent Koreans) will refuse entry to tattooed people for many things: gyms, swimming pools, steam rooms, saunas, hot springs, public baths, and spas.
While you may see some Korean celebrities with tattoos, it's a big NO in Japan due to the Yakuza having these tattoos.

They are becoming more lenient nowadays, especially with foreign tourists but I wonder how they can differentiate Japanese people from Chinese or Korean tourists if the latter have tattoos ?

Is there any way I can find out which public baths and hot springs will allow me to use their facilities?

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This may be new for some people but the Japanese (and to a lesser extent Koreans) will refuse entry to tattooed people for many things: gyms, swimming pools, steam rooms, saunas, hot springs, public baths, and spas.
While you may see some Korean celebrities with tattoos, it's a big NO in Japan due to the Yakuza having these tattoos.

They are becoming more lenient nowadays, especially with foreign tourists but I wonder how they can differentiate Japanese people from Chinese or Korean tourists if the latter have tattoos ?

Is there any way I can find out which public baths and hot springs will allow me to use their facilities?
Long associated with crime and exclusion from society.

But you can ask about their policy. Its not illegal, just policy. I have bathed many times at an onsen with Yakuza friends who do Batto Jutsu. After all Yakuza need to practice the sword.

Onsen possibly but Sento would be out. Even some Japanese inns (Ryokan) wont allow it.

One of my students wanted to get a full sleeve tattoo before he left Japan. He also had a grading to take. He just bandaged it up.

Responding to an inquiry by the National Police Agency, the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) declared that “coloring skin by injecting colors into it with a needle” is a medical act. This means that anyone who participates in the act of tattooing — cosmetic or self-expression — without a medical license violates the Medical Practitioner’s Act.

OP
R

ronki23

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

But you can ask about their policy. Its not illegal, just policy. I have bathed many times at an onsen with Yakuza friends who do Batto Jutsu. After all Yakuza need to practice the sword.

Onsen possibly but Sento would be out. Even some Japanese inns (Ryokan) wont allow it.

One of my students wanted to get a full sleeve tattoo before he left Japan. He also had a grading to take. He just bandaged it up.

Responding to an inquiry by the National Police Agency, the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) declared that “coloring skin by injecting colors into it with a needle” is a medical act. This means that anyone who participates in the act of tattooing — cosmetic or self-expression — without a medical license violates the Medical Practitioner’s Act.

In Korea parlours are illegal I believe

OP
R

ronki23

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

www.tattoo-go.in

any more?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No it depends. If you can cover them at onsen with a larger patch style bandaid, nobody says anything. Or you can always go somewhere and get a private/family room at an onsen to not worry about it. Of course, these are generally more pricey and not everywhere provides them. This is what me & my wife do to avoid any curious looks or misunderstandings.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

There are signs that say no tattoo.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
No it depends. If you can cover them at onsen with a larger patch style bandaid, nobody says anything. Or you can always go somewhere and get a private/family room at an onsen to not worry about it. Of course, these are generally more pricey and not everywhere provides them. This is what me & my wife do to avoid any curious looks or misunderstandings.
I would have to wear a wetsuit.

OP
R

ronki23

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are signs that say no tattoo.

I'm thinking of emailing the hotels before I go and asking them if they could tell me where I can go for tattoo-friendly public bath / hot spring.

There's also www.tattoo-go.in and www.tattoo-friendly.jp I need some more directories

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the association of tattoos and the Yakuza really applicable to Westerners in the mind of the Japanese? Surely they will know that a Westerner with tattoos is not Yakuza and are unlikely to be criminals.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Japanese, Chinese and Korean people look nothing alike. Especially if you're Japanese.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is the association of tattoos and the Yakuza really applicable to Westerners in the mind of the Japanese? Surely they will know that a Westerner with tattoos is not Yakuza and are unlikely to be criminals.
True. It’s common here. Most Japanese I know kinda laugh off western tatto o tourist like.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, that was a fumbling of a reply. I am working on a full body suit, ”Horimono” my Japanese friends are pretty conservative and have made jokes like, “ are you planning on trying to join Yakuza?”. I am not Japanese. They also tease about how I practice Chinese martial arts. In my experience , It’s definitely not the same connotation for westerners in the mind of the japanese folks I know. That includes a good friends’ Bachan.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Japanese, Chinese and Korean people look nothing alike. Especially if you're Japanese.
I'm pretty good at differentiating these and other Oriental races apart, but there are individuals that have features that make it hard to tell sometimes. Everyone is unique. Plus, during WWII, much Japanese DNA was spread about the Orient so there is variety in the Oriental gene pool as well as a few interracial marriages these days. My granddaughters are 25% American, 25% Japanese, 50% Korean and 100% beautiful.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only if you're Japanese.
No, you just don’t have the exposure to know the difference, which is more cultural than physical. Im just making a wild generalization of my very own here. Truly, I can instantly tell where a lot of people are coming from because of exposure to a lot of cultures. Can you tell a Punjab Sikh from a Pakistani Muslim? There is much in common there, but the difference is instantly obvious to people that have been exposed to these culture groups. I am not from these cultures, but I have exposure, and because of that exposure and familiarity to them I am able to readily identify them and give the appropriate greeting. Being observant, engaged, and interested will go a long way in this regard.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you tell a Punjab Sikh from a Pakistani Muslim?
Yes, I usually can (other than one will probably be wearing a puggaree!). I suppose ethnic groups, especially very religious ones, are likely to intermarry and thus ‘concentrate’ their phenotypes, but my perception isn’t infallible! A good guess, perhaps.

I paid for a genetic ancestry investigation in the hope I’d have some unusual genes scattered amongst the dominant ones (I was hoping for Japanese, samurai…a well know clan, with an extant castle I could go over and reclaim). It came back with 99.9% Indian 😐😒

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I usually can (other than one will probably be wearing a puggaree!). I suppose ethnic groups, especially very religious ones, are likely to intermarry and thus ‘concentrate’ their phenotypes, but my perception isn’t infallible! A good guess, perhaps.

I paid for a genetic ancestry investigation in the hope I’d have some unusual genes scattered amongst the dominant ones (I was hoping for Japanese, samurai…a well know clan, with an extant castle I could go over and reclaim). It came back with 99.9% Indian 😐😒
Jo Bole So Nihaal Sat Sri Akaal! Tusi Bahut Vadia.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Please forgive my clumsy Punjabi.

Latest Discussions