Japanese Martial Arts Demonstration Clip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rather than simply dismissing any criticism of koryu arts by calling the critics things like "stupid" and "presumptuous", and accusing them of "bitching" about JMA when all they're really doing is raising valid questions, why not try to refute their points with logic about your art?

I think this is possible if the poster has an open mind and is willing to admit that he does not know what is going on.

But if instead of questions and doubts, you just get attacks and remarks about how the clips made him laugh in addition to declararations that he does too know what is going on :tantrum: , you are dealing with a mind that is so closed it is hard to open it up enough to let in some light.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this is possible if the poster has an open mind and is willing to admit that he does not know what is going on.

But if instead of questions and doubts, you just get attacks and remarks about how the clips made him laugh in addition to declararations that he does too know what is going on :tantrum: , you are dealing with a mind that is so closed it is hard to open it up enough to let in some light.

Try me. You will be surprised to learn that I have tried many martial arts in my lifetime and approached them all with an open mind. But in my response to this video, all I got was personal attacks. If you have a point to make other than to claim that I am ignorant because I am unimpressed with that video, feel free to make it. If you are so sensitive about your art that you prefer a personal attack rather than a positive discussion, then so be it.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But in my response to this video, all I got was personal attacks.

I do not think that telling you that you really are not aware of what was going on qualifies as a personal attack. More of a statement of fact. I really do not understand Daito ryu politics, but I was able to follow how you were at one time associated with someone who learned from someone who made false claims of training in Daito ryu. I really think that if you had not opened up your first comments in this thread with talking about how the clip made you laugh you would have gotten a lot less testy reaction. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people that are willing to help those like you that know less than they. But first you have to show the proper attitude and saying things like you have does not show it.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not think that telling you that you really are not aware of what was going on qualifies as a personal attack. More of a statement of fact. I really do not understand Daito ryu politics, but I was able to follow how you were at one time associated with someone who learned from someone who made false claims of training in Daito ryu. I really think that if you had not opened up your first comments in this thread with talking about how the clip made you laugh you would have gotten a lot less testy reaction. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people that are willing to help those like you that know less than they. But first you have to show the proper attitude and saying things like you have does not show it.

Well, the clip did make me laugh. And don't give me that "show the proper attitude and the masters will help you nonsense". I am not a child and I am not a novice. I don't know why you feel the need to attack Duke Moore either. Perhaps there really is nothing to the old Japanese styles shown in that clip and maybe that is the reason you are making personal attacks. I don't know. Feel free to enlighten me any time on what I am missing.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-Kreth/Jeff Velten
-MT Senior Moderator-

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I enjoyed the clip. Did I agree with everything I saw? Of course not. But that didn't lessen my enjoyment of seeing talented martial artists.

Koryu is well known for not going out of it's way to please the masses. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And don't give me that "show the proper attitude and the masters will help you nonsense". I am not a child and I am not a novice. I don't know why you feel the need to attack Duke Moore either.

I am afraid that in terms of Japanese martial arts, your words show you to be a novice. But one that believes he knows more than he does. And that is the problem. When you empty your cup, you can recieve more tea- knowledge in this case. We are not attacking Duke Moore, someone merely pointed out that he has no real link to Daito ryu. You believe he does, but that is only because you lack experience with the real subject matter.

So if you admit that you do not know what is going on and the reasons why, the posters here who know so much about the subject matter can help you. But until you admit that you need to learn, no one can help you. So I would urge you to modify your way of posting and attitude.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am afraid that in terms of Japanese martial arts, your words show you to be a novice. But one that believes he knows more than he does. And that is the problem. When you empty your cup, you can recieve more tea- knowledge in this case. We are not attacking Duke Moore, someone merely pointed out that he has no real link to Daito ryu. You believe he does, but that is only because you lack experience with the real subject matter.

So if you admit that you do not know what is going on and the reasons why, the posters here who know so much about the subject matter can help you. But until you admit that you need to learn, no one can help you. So I would urge you to modify your way of posting and attitude.

Ahso...your judgement of me reverts to Buddhist metaphor...OK, I'll go there...

The tea in the cup served up here was cool. So I poured it out. Waiting for some hot tea. Do you have some? Or do you judge me incapable of tea-drinking because I rejected cool tea? My cup is empty and I await your wisdom.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ahso...your judgement of me reverts to Buddhist metaphor...OK, I'll go there...

The tea in the cup served up here was cool. So I poured it out. Waiting for some hot tea. Do you have some? Or do you judge me incapable of tea-drinking because I rejected cool tea? My cup is empty and I await your wisdom.

Your cup is full of kempo and attitude. You cannot put koryu arts in a kempo cup. The very fact that you chose kempo rather than a Japanese art indicates where your preferences are. But, like so many American martial arts eclectics, you insist that you are capable of making judgements about Japanese martial arts. People who make judgements about things with no frame of reference upon which to base them are difficult to take seriously.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mod Note

Thread locked pending review

Mike Slosek
MT Supermod

Status
Not open for further replies.