Japan due to evacuate 40 million due to Fukushima

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.eutimes.net/2012/04/russia-stunned-after-japanese-plan-to-evacuate-40-million-revealed/

A new report circulating in the Kremlin today prepared by the Foreign Ministry on the planned re-opening of talks with Japan over the disputed Kuril Islands during the next fortnight states that Russian diplomats were “stunned” after being told by their Japanese counterparts that upwards of 40 million of their peoples were in “extreme danger” of life threatening radiation poisoning and could very well likely be faced with forced evacuations away from their countries eastern most located cities… including the world’s largest one, Tokyo.

I don't think worse news could be delivered then this. This whole disaster is apocalyptic in scale.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder how true that story is since its started in Russia not Japan. If its true thats NUTS

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder how true that story is since its started in Russia not Japan. If its true thats NUTS

I hope it's NOT true.

The fact that it didn't come from Japan and was apparently leaked doesn't surprise me. Japan has been very tight lipped about the seriousness of the disaster and has not been forthcoming with it's people about it.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm still hoping that the stance I took when it happened (viz that the dangers were being exaggerated) is still correct.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find anything out about this. Other news agencies either aren't touching this because it's not true, or it just hasn't been vetted yet. I did find this though...

http://wyden.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Secretary-Clinton.pdf

Press Releases

Press Release of Senator Wyden

After Tour of Fukushima Nuclear Power Station, Wyden Says Situation Worse than Reported

Urges Japanese Ambassador to Accept International Help to Mitigate Continued Nuclear Risks

Monday, April 16, 2012

Washington, D.C. – After an onsite tour of what remains of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facilities decimated by last year’s earthquake and subsequent tsunami, U.S. Senator Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) a senior member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, sent a letter to Japanese Ambassador Ichiro Fujisaki looking for ways to advance and support clean-up and recovery efforts. Wyden’s principal concern is the relocation of spent fuel rods currently being stored in unsound structures immediately adjacent to the ocean. He strongly urged the Ambassador to accept international help to prevent dangerous nuclear material from being released into the environment.

“The scope of damage to the plants and to the surrounding area was far beyond what I expected and the scope of the challenges to the utility owner, the government of Japan, and to the people of the region are daunting,” Wyden wrote in the letter. “The precarious status of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear units and the risk presented by the enormous inventory of radioactive materials and spent fuel in the event of further earthquake threats should be of concern to all and a focus of greater international support and assistance.”

Wyden visited Fukushima on April 6, 2012 while on a Congressional delegation trip to the region. He and a staff member wore radiation suits as they toured the facility and met with workers and managers from the Tokyo Electric Power Company, TEPCO, which is responsible for the clean-up. Wyden found that the facilities designed to house spent nuclear fuel and the reactors themselves were still in a state of disrepair and located in areas that would make them susceptible to further damage from future seismic events. The reactor buildings still contain large amounts of spent fuel – making them a huge safety risk and the only protection from a future tsunami, Wyden observed, is a small, makeshift sea wall erected out of bags of rock.

Wyden is also sending letters today to U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Greg Jaczko asking them to identify additional resources and assistance that their agencies could provide to Japan to address these risks.

http://wyden.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/?id=2f18cd7b-8207-4315-8c02-0feb64f51549

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]ca8VYSP8gUE[/yt]

A wonderful short segment from Bang Goes the Theory about relative risk, with particular reference to the nuclear 'threat'.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thought this was interesting...

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/20...coming-control-international-community-88682/

[h=3]An investigation into Fukushima nuclear meltdowns governing defects reveals the Prime Minister feared an international takeover of Japan.[/h] A new independent investigation into the Fukushima nuclear meltdowns reveals why government officials conspired to cover up the disaster from the world.

Japan’s prime minister and other top officials believed that if the truth about the disaster was revealed, Japan would be placed under the control of the international community if they were not able to handle the disaster by themselves.

A top official says the Prime minister feared being occupied by Russian and the United States and certainly such a fear is not unfounded.

Clearly, if the public knew the truth about the Fukushima nuclear disaster there would be a complete global economic collapse and massive civil unrest all over the world.

In such a situation, nations like Russia and the United States would certainly use military force to take control of the situation and use their propaganda machines to control the flow of information to ensure the continuity of their own governments.

He's got a bunch of interesting stuff on his blog if you have time.

Here's a paper on a possible correlation between a rise in deaths in the US and the arrival of the radiation plume from Fukushima.

Here's an entry talking about collusion between the US and Japanese government to cover the seriousness of Fukushima up.

“On March 16, 2011, NRC Commissioner Gregory B Jaczko told Congress that he was recommending the 50-mile evacuation radius. The scope of the recommended evacuation is highly unusual and suggestive of extraordinarily high radiation levels in excess of those reported to the public in Japan and the U.S., …In the U.S., nuclear reactor licensees and local governments are only asked to provide for evacuation out to 10 miles. As concerns grow about food and water contamination in Japan, the three groups…are seeking to determine the answer to this key question: What made Jaczko exceed the limits of his own agency’s regulations by five times?”

Apparently, the very same Gregory B Jaczko, the guy who is the main source in the NewAmerican article posted above, wanted to evacuate everyone within 50 miles of Fukushima when he saw the initial radiation readings. I wonder who talked him down?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suspect that someone has taken the Japanese government's worst-case scenario used for planning purposes and created 'fact' out of it.

http://www.infowars.com/fukushima-government-insiders-warn-of-tokyo-evacuation-threat/

“The worse-case scenario drawn up by the government includes not only the collapse of the No. 4 reactor pool, but the disintegration of spent fuel rods from all the plant’s other reactors. If this were to happen, residents in the Tokyo metropolitan area would be forced to evacuate,” according to the editorial by senior writer Takao Yamada.

I do not doubt that things are far from 'back to normal' for Japan, nor do I doubt that serious issues are being downplayed - that's what governments do. But all governments plan for worst-case scenarios, which includes thinking up the worst possible thing that could happen and then coming up with plans to deal with it. I suspect that's what has happened here.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I suspect that someone has taken the Japanese government's worst-case scenario used for planning purposes and created 'fact' out of it.

http://www.infowars.com/fukushima-government-insiders-warn-of-tokyo-evacuation-threat/

I do not doubt that things are far from 'back to normal' for Japan, nor do I doubt that serious issues are being downplayed - that's what governments do. But all governments plan for worst-case scenarios, which includes thinking up the worst possible thing that could happen and then coming up with plans to deal with it. I suspect that's what has happened here.

Considering the fact that I haven't seen this become the top news story in the world, I think you're probably right. The scary part is that all of this is within the realm of possibility though.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And just WHERE will those 40+ million go? In country? Establish a new capital city? Thankfully (for them) that their island is big enough, though it will put a strain on their own natural resources and farming areas.
They're going to have to figure out what to do with that damaged reactor and going to have to figure out how to contain the radiation, not only to protect their own people but the environment surrounding the area as well.
The Japanese people should be alright. They're extraordinarily an inventive and resourceful people. Give them time and the mental push to come up with new ideas will create something good out of it all. That's just being optimistic of course.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some things are more possible then others. The idea that 40 million people could be evacuated because of widespread radiation from a reactor that melted down is a distinct possibility.

I don't see any real proof of that yet.

Latest Discussions