Jai Harman clip

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Newsflash for any other semi-autistic mma fans: Jai Harman doesn't want to be an MMA fighter at this point in time, unless he is really stupid, and I'm sure that's not true.

Advice for future living with impaired ability to perceive reality: judge people by what they do instead of what they say.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If he is "a beginner" and not yet good then what is the problem with him appearing in low level bouts? Isn't this exactly what he should be doing? It would make no sense from his point of view to appear at a level that is above him. He would lose and look bad, and it wouldn't do his advertising much good. I think it is pretty obvious what he is doing, and it isn't training for serious MMA comps.

It seems as if you want to see him get beaten up or taught a lesson for some reason? He is selling wing chun FFS, I think he is probably aware that he isn't going to be the next MMA world champ.

Similarly I can't see any problem with Harman using video footage of amateur fights and sparring to promote his wing chun teaching. There is no secrecy about what the bouts are. He isn't lying about anything, beyond the obvious piss take titles of the clips which are probably intended only to wind up humourless blowhards.

He is doing exactly the same thing as Alan Orr, only in a much more risky (and some might say much less sleazy) way, since he is actually risking his own neck and the possibility of embarrassing video footage, rather than someone else's.

It makes no sense that this minute thing bothers anyone

So he is promoting wing chun experts can mix it with beginners of other systems.

Weird way to promote.

Yes I want him to loose and look bad. It is the only way to get good.

And when he is good enough to not loose and look good He should find someone better to make him loose and look bad again.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Newsflash for any other semi-autistic mma fans: Jai Harman doesn't want to be an MMA fighter at this point in time, unless he is really stupid, and I'm sure that's not true.

Advice for future living with impaired ability to perceive reality: judge people by what they do instead of what they say.

He picks easy fights. Not just mma. But apparently in everything. And uses that to give him credentials as an instructor. That is what he does. That is how I will judge him

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So he is promoting wing chun experts can mix it with beginners of other systems.

Weird way to promote.

Yes I want him to loose and look bad. It is the only way to get good.

And when he is good enough to not loose and look good He should find someone better to make him loose and look bad again.

He's promoting wing chun to the kind of people that generally do wing chun. He's not selling it to mma fans

I think, if he wants to make a living teaching wing chun, that he will be wanting to do his losing and learning in private, or not at all, depending on his level of personal integrity.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He picks easy fights. Not just mma. But apparently in everything. And uses that to give him credentials as an instructor. That is what he does. That is how I will judge him

Ok, now with that in mind, why on earth would he want to go into higher level mma fighting, especially without extensive prior training, at this point in time?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He's promoting wing chun to the kind of people that generally do wing chun. He's not selling it to mma fans

I think, if he wants to make a living teaching wing chun, that he will be wanting to do his losing and learning in private, or not at all, depending on his level of personal integrity.

So the people who generally do wing chun see themselves as beginners as compared to other systems?

Mabye wing chun is more protective of an instructors ego than I am used to. I respect guys who have lost fights and looked bad.

If this does not happen in wing chun then that is their thing I suppose.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He picks easy fights. Not just mma. But apparently in everything.

I don't think a few kick boxing videos show much about "everything"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, now with that in mind, why on earth would he want to go into higher level mma fighting, especially without extensive prior training, at this point in time?

To validate the path he has chosen. If he wants to be a fighter. Then he should fight someone good. If he dosent then avoid the environment all together.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So the people who generally do wing chun see themselves as beginners as compared to other systems?

Lol, give it a rest.

Make a brand, sell brand, make money. Avoid anything that can disrupt money stream. Alan Orr 101. Lloyd Irvin 101. 10th Planet 101

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no evidence to suggest he has ever had a hard fight.

Oh FFS, are you really struggling this much to think it through? Why would there be evidence of him having had a hard fight?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol, give it a rest.

Make a brand, sell brand, make money. Avoid anything that can disrupt money stream. Alan Orr 101. Lloyd Irvin 101. 10th Planet 101

Probably. I don't have to agree with it. I am pretty sure I am allowed to be against promoting yourself over enhancing yourself.

If he is all about self promotion then the obvious fact he is on a beginner level with other styles might need to be addressed.

Last edited:
OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably. I don't have to agree with it. I am pretty sure I am allowed to be against promoting yourself over enhancing yourself.

The only self you have any control over is yourself.

If he is all about self promotion then the obvious fact he is on a beginner level with other styles might need to be addressed.

Why are you obsessing over this beginner?

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There wouldn't because he has never had one.

Sandbagging In BJJ

Who knows what Jai Harman is doing in his private training? You don't and I don't.

What is for sure is that he is interested in promoting his brand. Therefore the probability of anyone seeing footage of him where he looks bad is very small, unless it comes from someone else.

Sandbagging in bjj is a different thing and is based on the fact that bjj has teams and belts. Sandbagging is done for the benefit of the team. Entering a low level amateur fighting comp as an individual from TMA and competing in all events is not sandbagging because there is no belt to misrepresent and no team to stand for. It's a fair enough thing to do, especially for a beginner, which is what you agree he is.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I don't see Jai Harmon as a beginner in Wing Chun at all. He is pretty darn good. I don't think he is a beginner at gloved sparring either. But I do see drop bear's point. Part of how Jai Harmon is promoting himself is by putting out videos of himself sparring other styles to show that he can use his Wing Chun. That's good. The problem lies in the fact that it is pretty obvious that the videos he chooses to post show him sparring people that are not on his level, making him look that much better. This would be good. Except for the fact that people that have been around fighting and know better, recognize that he is NOT fighting anyone that is giving him a real test in these videos. I'd rather see him fighting hard against someone that is obviously good at what they do than winning easily against someone who is not.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I don't see Jai Harmon as a beginner in Wing Chun at all. He is pretty darn good. I don't think he is a beginner at gloved sparring either.

We don't really know what Jai Harman is like at wing chun because very little material is available and (I guess) none of us have met him?

But I do see drop bear's point. Part of how Jai Harmon is promoting himself is by putting out videos of himself sparring other styles to show that he can use his Wing Chun. That's good. The problem lies in the fact that it is pretty obvious that the videos he chooses to post show him sparring people that are not on his level, making him look that much better. This would be good. Except for the fact that people that have been around fighting and know better, recognize that he is NOT fighting anyone that is giving him a real test in these videos. I'd rather see him fighting hard against someone that is obviously good at what they do than winning easily against someone who is not.

It's purely PR! I don't think he is trying to impress either drop bear or you. He is making his brand.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then WTF ARE YOU EVEN ARGUING ABOUT?

This whole thing has been me saying he should fight someone better and you saying he shouldn't. Neither of us have come up with anything new as to why. So we might chalk this up to having different expectations. Or cultural differences.

I don't think you build a brand on those sort of fights. You build experience. If you build a brand you do pro fights.(mostly, there are exemptions like the Olympics)

Our club has a theme that a hard loss is a better fight than an easy win. Because the fight is supposed to expose the character of both fighters.

The philosophy is very Nietzsche. Or rocky depending on where you get your culture from.

So we can keep going round in circles ow we can come up with some sort of new ideas.

Otherwise I have no idea what he does behind closed doors. He could be curing cancer or kicking puppies. So I am not sure how speculating helps.
Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia