Jackie Chan the New Miyagi

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well it's on, seems that Jackie Chan has the job of filling in Morita's shoes as the sage mentor of the new Karate Kid.
Whether or not this is a good or bad thing still remains to be seen. A good actor can be dragged down by a poor script or even a scene by scene remake.
Dunno if they're going to make Chan Japanese/Okinawan or keep to his own roots and remains Chinese and teaches Karate?
Still, it's not on my "must-see" list yet. Want to know more.

New Karate Kid Getting a Kick Out of Jackie Chan?

Natalie Finn Natalie Finn – Tue Jan 13, 9:47 pm ET
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20090114/en_top_eo/78966Los Angeles (E! Online) – We know Jackie Chan has the martial arts moves of a master...but how is he at trimming bonsai?
The Hong Kong-born action star is in talks to take on the role of Mr. Miyagi in an upcoming remake of The Karate Kid, per the Hollywood Reporter.
The premise would be similar to the 1984 original, in that Chan would be playing mentor to a teen who's being harassed by bullies and is in need of both philosophical guidance and some sweet self-defense moves.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well it's on, seems that Jackie Chan has the job of filling in Morita's shoes as the sage mentor of the new Karate Kid.
Whether or not this is a good or bad thing still remains to be seen. A good actor can be dragged down by a poor script or even a scene by scene remake.
Dunno if they're going to make Chan Japanese/Okinawan or keep to his own roots and remains Chinese and teaches Karate?

Lets see

Jackie Chan is Southern Chinese and part of this thing is suppose to take place in Beijing..whichis North.... I'm guessing they stick with the Okinawan master :rolleyes:

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is truly awful.

The Karate Kid franchise (for me) died after Part II. Part II, like Rocky II, was more of a remake than a sequal, and it worked quite well. Part III was absurd. The Next Karate Kid (with Hilary Swank) left me absolutely cold. Essentially, to borrow from "Happy Days," they "jumped the shark."

I think the first movie was an unexpected hit. It was fun because Macchio and Morita were not known as big-time leading men in Hollywood. Morita played a lot of supporting roles but had tremendous acting instincts. He knew how to make Miyagi a fun character without playing a caricature. Morita probably did more than Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan might ever have dreamed to break the mold of Asians in Hollywood.

Macchio just had to be Macchio. Whatever his acting skills, Ralph was picture perfect as an awkward teenager who can't fit in. He wasn't the least bit charismatic, which made him a character that people can relate to.

All of this seems to be driven by creating a platform for Jaden Smith. The whole exercise just feels insincere. I'll wait for the DVD.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Either do film-making "yes" or do film-making "no". Do film-making "maybe-be so" and ... squish like grape!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

:barf::barf:

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
On the positive side, maybe it will be good. Maybe it'll bring alot of the philosophies and morals of the first to the big screen, so that a whole new generation can learn about the other side of the martial arts. When I was a kid, that was what I enjoyed was the "musings" and "teachings" of 'Mr. Miyagi'. I could have cared less about Daniel really. That's my take, it might be a very good remake if done right.:asian:

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the positive side, maybe it will be good. Maybe it'll bring alot of the philosophies and morals of the first to the big screen, so that a whole new generation can learn about the other side of the martial arts. When I was a kid, that was what I enjoyed was the "musings" and "teachings" of 'Mr. Miyagi'. I could have cared less about Daniel really. That's my take, it might be a very good remake if done right.:asian:
Read my post on this thread http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60128&highlight=karate+kid+movie... it has some of the dialogue from the original movie... hopefully they'll give this the same respectful treatment as the original. :D

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
WTF!!!! Good lord, this is disgusting. I'm so sick of the remakes now a days. This is a bad idea, at least with these actors. The first one, like it or not, good or bad, is now a cult classic, it can't be replaced.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Read my post on this thread http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60128&highlight=karate+kid+movie... it has some of the dialogue from the original movie... hopefully they'll give this the same respectful treatment as the original. :D

Hopefully. Tried to get my niece to watch the originals. She said, " Those are old, I don't want to watch that movie." Eh, no accounting for taste. Maybe a new one she'll watch.
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions