It's Hot.....

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
But those of you in MN and WI are using your self-defense skills against mosquitos the size of small children, aren't you?
Seriously, the skeeters here run from about the diameter of a penny to a nickle. If you give them a pollyanna slap, they just look at you and fly away. You've got to leave welts in order to kill those bastards! Good conditioning!

And then there is the fact that they are masters of the multiple attack. I've been on lakes in northern MN where the clouds of skeeters darken the sky. Any open skin is an invitation to anemia. Every slap kills five to ten.

In fact, I fell asleep at a camp site in the early afternoon and woke up at dusk. I was totally covered and the first slap actually left a hand print of blood and bug guts!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
**Crosses WI off list of places to relocate to.**

AA batteries would be in order then, eh? :D

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Having grown up close to Lake Michigan, I was amazed the first time I saw Superior. I said this isn't a lake, it's an ocean. Cold and forboding. And yes, that was in the summer.
Right now we have a slight lake breeze. The fog is rolling in thick and the temp is about 50 ish. Its perfect weather for going for a nice long run. I just might do that...

About an hour ago we had a line of thunderstorms roll through. Its been a very wet spring up here. We are way above normal for precipitation. All of the rivers are way up, the canoeing and kyaking has been great.

The steelheading has been fabulous! The last time I went out, I was the only one on the river and it was packed full with fish. I put 22 fish in my net in three hours with the largest pushing 30 inches.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
The steelheading has been fabulous! The last time I went out, I was the only one on the river and it was packed full with fish. I put 22 fish in my net in three hours with the largest pushing 30 inches.

and a river runs through it.....

Now I'm getting sentimental...sniff...my dad (THE fishing fanatic) used to take my brother and I up there all the time.

Kaith, killer mammoth size skeeters and deer flies aside, it was paradise....

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's about damned time it finally is getting hot. People were complaining that the a/c in the gym was out. So it's a little hotter :idunno: :rolleyes: . Today I ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill and 4 miles on the stationary bike. Ah, I love summer. :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
We're supposed to have a record number of mosquitoes this year due to incessant rain. We just had a wind/rain storm of 60-70 mile an hr. winds which knocked over alot of trees or broke branches. My husband came in late after borrowing a chain saw to the last one we had to take down. He said the skeeters were thick. I guess this year I've been living inside too and late in thinking about skeeters. So, I put out our skeeter control gadget which by our family is lovingly called our "UFO" because of its stripe of green lights and round shape. Our outdoors is getting more and more risky, Lyme disease from deer ticks and West Nile from our state bird. Do they have mosquitoes in AZ? TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Lyme disease from deer ticks and West Nile
Both real big out here, too.

TigerWoman said:
Do they have mosquitoes in AZ? TW
Once you have Scorpions and Tarantulas, I don't think it matters. :eek: :D

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's true, my daughter in Phoenix, had a large scorpion in her bedoom upon moving in. Those, I think are worse. :( TW

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: Not for long, but they are ugly little devils

TigerWoman said:
That's true, my daughter in Phoenix, had a large scorpion in her bedoom upon moving in. Those, I think are worse. :( TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
*gulp*

Kaith, might want to add AZ with WI on "the list"....

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got central air and a pool. It's also not been out of the seventies all week. GRRRrrrr.

A lot of people out here use swamp coolers since the humidity is usually very low.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
They don't have scorpions in NM, do they? :eek:
Yup. Found one in my boot one morning while on a backpacking trip to Philmont.

Jmh7331

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I finally broke down and turned on the central air this week when it hit 100. I'm not looking forward to the bill this month.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, the pool helps. The kids are in it constantly.

It was absurdly hot and humid today until we had a thunderstorm. That broke the heat and humidity a bit.

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
random heat related rant, the ac at my dojang wasn't charged when it was replaced, 85-90 F 30-ish C in full gear!! yuck..

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My AC here in Atlanta has been going on the fritz these past few days. It has trouble detecting when the temperature has dropped to the number on the dial and just keeps on cooling. It got down to around 50 degrees before I realized that it was messed up and just shut it off. Now I'm sitting in a freezing room in the middle of a Hotlanta summer. Oh, the irony.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like others have mentioned, AC isn't exactly a requirement here in the Northwoods, but I do have a windo unit in my bedroom for the stupid hot nights that happen here once in a blue moon.

I can't sleep in hot weather. Must be the Viking in me.

Latest Discussions