It's a BIG 10 Thing

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What bugs do you still see in the system?

Well, just take the one they have now---they've had the undefeated number 1 and 2 teams in the country play each other already. And if Michigan hangs in at 2, where they are now, what they will have is a completely artificial rematch of two teams who've already played one of the great classic games in college football history against each other. If we absolutely have to have a `national champion', I'd far rather see an elimination playoff system of some kind in place so that this kind of strange deja vu situation doesn't recur. But there's no way the big football schools will go along with that idea, so...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think it would be an artificial rematch. Team play the schedule they have, and if they do well they go to a bowl game. The top teams play in the BCS bowls. #1 and #2 gets matched up. I don't think it would have been fair to OSU or UM to automatically eliminate the loser of that game from the possibility of playing for the BCS NC because it would be a rematch.

I don't think Michigan will end up #2, Fat Fulmer still upset about Woodson getting the Heisman over Manning will put Michigan at number 4 in the coaches poll again like he did to the undefeated Michigan team in '97.

Anyway, one of the biggest bugs I see is the fact that they start ranking the teams in the preseason before they even play. I don't think they should start ranking them until 3 or so weeks in. But, they rankings do help the networks create some hype in the matchups. Another problem is that a loss late in the season hurts a lot more than a loss early in the season when teams are allowed to make up for it. I was suprised to see Michigan still at #2 after losing the last game of the season.

It has been a very interesting season in the polls and as the teams position for the BCS. A Rutgers win would have made it even more interesting.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think it would be an artificial rematch. Team play the schedule they have, and if they do well they go to a bowl game. The top teams play in the BCS bowls. #1 and #2 gets matched up. I don't think it would have been fair to OSU or UM to automatically eliminate the loser of that game from the possibility of playing for the BCS NC because it would be a rematch.

You really don't think it will be a major anticlimax? I confess, my attitudes may be contaminated by the emotional exhaustion of watching my fellow Columbusites go through one horrible bout of pins-and-needles fretting (I don't get so wired about it, I could have gone on living happily if UM had won, but... well, you probably have some idea what people are like around here); if they have to play UM again, I can't see any outcomes that will make either set of fans happy. If UM wins, it kind of muddies the `great-classic-rivalry' game outcome; if they lose, it's a double kick in the teeth for them and for OSU, a kind of hollow victory---kind of like digging up and then reburying someone who was quite satisfactorily dead and buried the first time. But I admit, living in Columbus tends to cloud one's mind on this particular topic...

I don't think Michigan will end up #2, Fat Fulmer still upset about Woodson getting the Heisman over Manning will put Michigan at number 4 in the coaches poll again like he did to the undefeated Michigan team in '97.

And the Spartans seem to be on a genuine roll at the moment. It must be rough in Ann Arbor now---they actually don't know for sure if they'll even get the Rose Bowl invite, right? It's, what, kind of discretionary with the RB ownership? But the situation you mention is yet another problem---the coaches' poll is a whole network of old resentments and scores to settle and whatnot, at least to hear the various stories that the sportswriters love to tell.

Anyway, one of the biggest bugs I see is the fact that they start ranking the teams in the preseason before they even play. I don't think they should start ranking them until 3 or so weeks in. But, they rankings do help the networks create some hype in the matchups. Another problem is that a loss late in the season hurts a lot more than a loss early in the season when teams are allowed to make up for it. I was suprised to see Michigan still at #2 after losing the last game of the season.

Well, but that may turn out to be really temporary. I guess it was the closeness of the game that did it. Apparently, it wasn't a total loss, at least in terms of the total calculation---they came in close enough to keep that ultra-thin lead, though like you I'd be surprised if they kept it, but for me the main thing there was the feeling that USC has the hex on them. Again, though, maybe I've just been absorbing attitude from people around here who want UM to stay nicely dead and buried at this point.

It's true, though, abouit the preseason---what do they base it all on? Just the recruitment profiles? I mean, even if a team has kept most of its players from last year, that's not going to be true in general, and how do you know how to do the comparisons? It seems like there are a lot of acts of faith you'd have to commit yourself to for those rankings to have much credibility foryou... still, they got OSU right...

It has been a very interesting season in the polls and as the teams position for the BCS. A Rutgers win would have made it even more interesting.

All around, one of the liveliest seasons in the college football world that I can remember. But from where I sit, the best thing about it was that no one tried very hard to set the University District on fire this year... :wink1:

Goldendawn8

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are you serious? How can they not have preseason ranks? Do you think all the teams should just start over and that winning the National tile game should hold no weight. That's one of the problems at the moment. The loser of the Big Ten game should be knocked out of the running for the title since you have to take into consideration the competitiveness of their conference. That was really their only big game for the both of them. There is no way Michigan could have done as well if they switched spots wither either Florida or Arkansas. Their conference isn't even as tough as the Big 12 or the ACC.
They simply need to have playoffs in the BCS and the NFL needs to have the same overtime as the NCAA. Perhaps that's like asking for our government to stop wasting innocent lives in Iraq. I'll just have to wait and pray for both.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you serious? How can they not have preseason ranks? Do you think all the teams should just start over and that winning the National tile game should hold no weight. That's one of the problems at the moment. The loser of the Big Ten game should be knocked out of the running for the title since you have to take into consideration the competitiveness of their conference. That was really their only big game for the both of them. There is no way Michigan could have done as well if they switched spots wither either Florida or Arkansas. Their conference isn't even as tough as the Big 12 or the ACC.
They simply need to have playoffs in the BCS and the NFL needs to have the same overtime as the NCAA. Perhaps that's like asking for our government to stop wasting innocent lives in Iraq. I'll just have to wait and pray for both.

The same thing was said about other conferences and the Big Ten. I think a playoff would settle the issues, but, would add more to the students.

I wonder if Penn State that was almost always ranked, thinks that the easy play in the Big Ten (11) has them not winning all the time. Do not get me wrong I think the ACC and Big 12 have good teams, as well as Penn State is a good college and has a good program.

The playoff issue would settle more of the conference complaints about other conferences.

The coaches poll is a problem, In '97 if I remember correctly, one person had to leave Michigan out the ranking to end up with the points. Or a lot of coaches had to rank Michigan 4 or lower such as in the teens.

So the BCS could be better even without a coaches a playoff, if they could get rid of the coaches poll or weighted votes from one versus another a certain way based upon conferecne loyalty and or rivalry.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Goldendawn8,

Yes, I'm serious. The best team in the Big 12 is Texas at 9-2. One of the losses was Ohio State laying the smackdown on Texas in Texas. The best team in the ACC is probably GA Tech as they beat VA Tech. GA Tech lost to Notre Dame whom Michigan whipped at Southbend.

It sounds like if USC can win out, that they may be the team that can replace Michigan at #2. Not only that, but because of their SOS, they may even pass Ohio State even though USC has a loss.

Rich,

It was Vols' Coach Fulmer that voted the undefeated 1997 Michigan team as #4 to cost Michigan the #1 ranking in the coaches poll. He was upset that Charles Woodson beat out Peyton Manning for the Heisman trophy

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
the big ten gets no respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm a buckeye fan and i believe michigan is the no. 2 ranked team in the country. all these writers jump on the usc band wagon. the pac 10 is nothing like the big ten.and they believe that teams in the acc and sec are superior to teams in the big ten.it use to be that miami,fsu, or florida were always given their second shots now its usc. give the big ten its credit for once. put any of the previously mentioned teams in the big ten for 5-10 years and see how they would fair . thank you for listening

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the big ten gets no respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm a buckeye fan and i believe michigan is the no. 2 ranked team in the country. all these writers jump on the usc band wagon. the pac 10 is nothing like the big ten.and they believe that teams in the acc and sec are superior to teams in the big ten.it use to be that miami,fsu, or florida were always given their second shots now its usc. give the big ten its credit for once. put any of the previously mentioned teams in the big ten for 5-10 years and see how they would fair . thank you for listening

A co-worker of mine and from OSU said this is what he would like to see.

OSU to play USC to show that their just not the best this year.
To have Michigan play another from one of the other conferences to show the same. With Wisconsin picking up a win also would show the other conferences that this year there are teams other than them to be considered.

Personally I would like to see the rematch. As if Michigan wins it would have them split which would in my opinion show an error in the BCS system. And because of this possibility I believe that the coaches poll and sports writers will rank Michigan lower to something similiar to the OSU co-worker of mine.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow! Shake-up in the BCS National Championship hunt today as UCLA upsets USC.

It sounds like the #2 spot will be between Michigan, who's only loss was by only 3 points to the #1 team, undefeated Ohio State; and Florida, who's one loss was by 10 points to the #11 - two loss Auburn.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! Shake-up in the BCS National Championship hunt today as UCLA upsets USC.

It sounds like the #2 spot will be between Michigan, who's only loss was by only 3 points to the #1 team, undefeated Ohio State; and Florida, who's one loss was by 10 points to the #11 - two loss Auburn.

Last night ESPN was polling people online for Florida or Michigan. It went back and forth from 55% Michigan to 45% Florida; to 53% Michigan to 47% Florida with a +/- 2% error so it is real close from these numbers on what people want to see.

What I found interesting is that the SEC and near SEC states was Florida (13 States) and the 33 states were for Michigan with 4 undecided with not enough votes in one direction.

It will still come down to the Harris poll and the Coaches. If the Harris poll is similiar to the ESPN poll then it now lies in the hands of the Coaches, which now leaves it up to people wanting to see multiple conferences in the playoff and school rivalries and old political issues arise.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think in the end it will be two conferance championships playing for the mythical national title. What a joke the BCS has become. (it always was)
If a playoff were held then probably eight teams would have a chance at winning it. (out of the top 16) Nobody would want to face LSU that is for sure. Unfortuantely for Michigan when the dust settles they did not win their conferance and that will probably mean that Florida passes them based on their strength of schedule. This is just a ridiculous way to determine the national mythical champion!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I Unfortuantely for Michigan when the dust settles they did not win their conferance and that will probably mean that Florida passes them based on their strength of schedule. This is just a ridiculous way to determine the national mythical champion!

Well, you nailed it, Brian!

Every year it's something else with BCS, eh?

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Florida got their lobby and they are number 2 and playing Ohio State.

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
florida has no right being ranked 2. before usc lost all the writers and etc were pointing out all the things that kept florida out of the 2 spot. i think southern schools along with usc and texas are favoured. i'm a buckeyes fan so my team is in but if we would have lost a game in mid-season our chances would have none to get back into the title hunt but theses other schools <usc,florida,texas, lose then roll of 2-3 wins and bang their right back into the hunt can anybody explain why? put all these pretenders in the big ten year in and year out and see how they would fair.

Latest Discussions