It's a BIG 10 Thing

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First I would like to congratulate the Wisconsin Team for putting together a great season that in itself would be worth of the Conference title if it was done in a different year.

Second I would like to wish both Michigan and Ohio State a safe and healthy game with no injuries. To me this game is the BCS. The winner of this game in my mind is the champion. I know this might be going against the whole BCS point, but I personally do not think I will enjoy the other games as much.

And to close, I would like to say the following:
Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
the leaders and best
Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
T'was the night before game time,
And all round the shoe,
Not a creature was sleeping,
They were screaming Beat Blue.

The banners were hung by the lamp posts with care
In hopes that St. Troy would find Ginn through the air.
Drunken and crazy and burning their beds,
While visions of kick off danced through their heads.

When all of the sudden there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the keg to see what was the matter.
When there in the sky, in a Coupe Deville sleigh,
Was Woody Hayes decked out in scarlet and gray.

He looked on the crowd that was gathered around,
And said that he heard that a game was in town.
I came here to watch it, and wish you good luck.
Though it's not like you need it, cause Michigan Sucks!

GO BUCKEYES!!!!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to wish both Michigan and Ohio State a safe and healthy game with no injuries.

Rich---your civilized and sane wishes for the game are much appreciated! Here we are girding up for what could be, win or lose, a rough night---the police are towing cars away from all streets in a four-five block radius around campus (OSU is picking up the towing tab---this is a safety thing, not a punitive strike on illegal parkers!) because the pattern of postgame riots/violence around OSU in recent years shows that much of it starts with damaging cars and then goes on to other property, and the police and school admins figure that the absence of automobiles as targets will kind of damp down the tendency to start breaking things that seems to emerge here at the time of the game with Michigan. Police presence is going to be very much in evidence, and apparently the Michigan authorities are sending a contingent of state troopers to Columbus just in case it turns out that fans need protection---I am not, repeat not, making this up. I guess you could say that a lot of people around here have a good deal of growing up to do.

To me this game is the BCS. The winner of this game in my mind is the champion. I know this might be going against the whole BCS point, but I personally do not think I will enjoy the other games as much.

You might be interested to know that one of the sports columnists for our daily, the Dispatch, said exactly the same thing, giving some very cogent arguments for that position, and noted that if it turned out that Michigan defeated OSU, then so be it---that should be the national championship right there.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich---your civilized and sane wishes for the game are much appreciated! Here we are girding up for what could be, win or lose, a rough night---the police are towing cars away from all streets in a four-five block radius around campus (OSU is picking up the towing tab---this is a safety thing, not a punitive strike on illegal parkers!) because the pattern of postgame riots/violence around OSU in recent years shows that much of it starts with damaging cars and then goes on to other property, and the police and school admins figure that the absence of automobiles as targets will kind of damp down the tendency to start breaking things that seems to emerge here at the time of the game with Michigan. Police presence is going to be very much in evidence, and apparently the Michigan authorities are sending a contingent of state troopers to Columbus just in case it turns out that fans need protection---I am not, repeat not, making this up. I guess you could say that a lot of people around here have a good deal of growing up to do.
I agree that things can get out of hand and like I said hope it does not.

You might be interested to know that one of the sports columnists for our daily, the Dispatch, said exactly the same thing, giving some very cogent arguments for that position, and noted that if it turned out that Michigan defeated OSU, then so be it---that should be the national championship right there.

I read one article that said if Michigan looses by a last minute field goal that sport writer and others would like to see a rematch on neutral ground. The problem is that the BCS selection looks at who lost to whom and the sport writers many times want to see something different as well as the coaches would like to give some other team a chance to beat the undeafeated team.

The system is not good, it in some ways is better than before, but as always it oculd be better. The problem is that it could make the season and the playoffs too long for those who are supposed to be in College to get an education. So what is good for the sport may not be best for the student. Which I understand.

Good Luck.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that things can get out of hand and like I said hope it does not.

You've got plenty of company on that one, Rich.

I read one article that said if Michigan looses by a last minute field goal that sport writer and others would like to see a rematch on neutral ground. The problem is that the BCS selection looks at who lost to whom and the sport writers many times want to see something different as well as the coaches would like to give some other team a chance to beat the undeafeated team.

The system is not good, it in some ways is better than before, but as always it oculd be better. The problem is that it could make the season and the playoffs too long for those who are supposed to be in College to get an education. So what is good for the sport may not be best for the student. Which I understand.

Yeah, at some point, you just have to say, well, that's the way it played out...

Good Luck.

Thanks, and watch this space---I'll send an update once the dust has cleared to let you know how it went and Columbus is still here (or not, as the case may be! :wink1:)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
All I gotta say is...

GO BUCKS!!!

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the first time since the BCS has started that the 1 and 2 teams have faced each other in the regular season like this. It does seem more like the championship game since both teams are 11-0 and the winner will be playing against a team that has 1 loss already whoever the winner of todays game plays.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seeing how I was born and raised in Michigan I just have to say,

GO BUCKEYES! Now if you were playing Michigan State, it would be different; but I root for whoever is playing against UM. I just hope the foolishness that has shown itself in the past, is just that, PAST.

My prayer is that both teams play good ball and the players are all nothing more than a bit tired when it is over. No injuries, or mishaps.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

GO BUCKEYES! Now if you were playing Michigan State, it would be different; but I root for whoever is playing against UM. I just hope the foolishness that has shown itself in the past, is just that, PAST.

My prayer is that both teams play good ball and the players are all nothing more than a bit tired when it is over. No injuries, or mishaps.

Amen, bro'!

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I understand the U of M versus MSU as well.

My kindergarten year at age four, when the two played as my parents are from the east coast had no understanding of this so I wore regular clothes versus my favorite college colors.

The U of M fans told me I could route for U of M or MSU.

The MSU fans told me if I did not route for MSU they would kick my butt. So I dropped my bag and said ok I route for U of M. I got my butt kicked by a 5th grader and his brother who was a 3rd grader, but to me it was nothing but trying to stick it to people who were insisting on my choices.

Later I went to U of M :D and one can say I am a fan, and an Alumnus, even if I do not have season tickets. :( ;)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Later I went to U of M :D and one can say I am a fan, and an Alumnus, even if I do not have season tickets. :( ;)

Just when I was beginning to think you were a good guy. :)

Actually My wife attended UM for a short time while we were back in Michigan. Growing up on the sunset side of the State, most of my friends went to MSU I just gravitated to rooting for State. I used to joke that whit me and the wife, it just went to show you that a mixed marriage can work. I had my MSU grill cover and she had her UM license plate bracket. My old college roomie was a lifelong MSU fan and then moved to Ann Arbor and worked and went to UM for classes, so he converted religions from the farmers to the blue and maize.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So by now you all know that OSU won the game; the important news is that there were only relatively minor incidents, nothing to make Columbus fans look like drunken thugs as per a couple of years ago. No major injuries on the field, and apparently little in the way of nastiness surrounding the event. That's a way better outcome than in we've had for many years. Police were out in force, and they and OSU had made it clear that there would be a zero-tolerance policy towards yob behavior before, at or after the game. Apparently it worked well...

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So by now you all know that OSU won the game; the important news is that there were only relatively minor incidents, nothing to make Columbus fans look like drunken thugs as per a couple of years ago. No major injuries on the field, and apparently little in the way of nastiness surrounding the event. That's a way better outcome than in we've had for many years. Police were out in force, and they and OSU had made it clear that there would be a zero-tolerance policy towards yob behavior before, at or after the game. Apparently it worked well...

I am glad to hear that the precautions were helpful and that it was kept to minor events. :)

Thanks

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a post game Article: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/recap?gid=200611180033&prov=ap

My comments on the Game.

Ohio State Won.

Both Teams showed up to play. One exception I could say is that the Michigan Defense seemed to be not playing in the second quarter, but a team has to play all quarters on both offensive and defense, no excuses.

There was a call of incomplete on the Ohio team per video replay, and in the fourth quarter I thought there should have been another video replay when Michigan made a catch as well. The angle I saw it looked clean, but as in the other one, multiple angles should have been reviewed to make sure.

The best play of the game was made by the Ohio State Offensive with their play action pass. The whole line moved like a run play, including the back who jumped the line. Then the Quarterback just brings the ball up and throws it for a completion. I said to myself "sweet".

Good Luck to Ohio State in the BCS championship game, unless of course they decide to put Michigan back in, and in that case Good luck to both. :)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch and go, touch and go... someday, maybe, they'll get the bugs out of the BCS system... maybe no more than a century or two down the line...

What bugs do you still see in the system?

Latest Discussions