It feels good to be back.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I said I'd be back when this was over. Well it's not over, but it's better. I've been double-vaxxed, back in the dojo, about to be back to work. Gained and then lost over 30 pounds. New diabetes medications, now on cholestoral and blood pressure meds as well. Family is well. Epic beard. That's all for now.
Dang, it's good to have you back on the forum, Bill! I'm looking forward to seeing your posts.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I get my second dose tuesday, can't wait. I'm really hoping the 5G reception is all its cracked up to be.
All that and more. And I've been told that if I stand near enough to other people, their reception improves, as well.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm genuinely heartened to see how everyone but the misfits and kooks are getting vaccinated. The county in which I live is at 72% with at least 1 dose, and 59% fully vaccinated, 12 years and older.

I was most surprised to discover that the tail you get from the vaccine is prehensile.
Do you get the tail with the second dose!?! I've only had the first so far and I'm really disappointed that I haven't gotten even a hint of a tail, much less 5G Internets in my brain!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Do you get the tail with the second dose!?! I've only had the first so far and I'm really disappointed that I haven't gotten even a hint of a tail, much less 5G Internets in my brain!
I don't think everyone gets a tail, and some unlucky people get a tail that is non-prehensile. As for the 5g, that's more a function of the chip they inject than the shot itself, so maybe your chip isn't functioning correctly. I recommend you call T-Mobile (or whomever manages your cell phone service) and complain.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm genuinely heartened to see how everyone but the misfits and kooks are getting vaccinated. The county in which I live is at 72% with at least 1 dose, and 59% fully vaccinated, 12 years and older.

I was most surprised to discover that the tail you get from the vaccine is prehensile.
Try 52% with one dose and 39.5% fully vaccinated as of May 25. This is per the CDC.

Sad to see you back to your predictable dxxk self calling people misfits and kooks.
Sadder that you seem to enjoy being that way.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Those anti-mask people are also those anti-vaccine people. Today they are the only people that will have to take the risk.

What are they thinking?
If it were only so simple.

Young kids can’t yet get the vaccine. I know they seem to get through the disease better, but they can die from it too. Also: other parts of the world still don’t have much vaccine available to them. As long as there are populations that continue to harbor the virus, it will continue to mutate, doing so frequently. Such mutations are usually harmless and meaningless to us humans. But sometimes a mutation makes the virus worse for us. It could make it worse for the young kids, and a mutation could possibly nullify the benefits of the vaccine altogether. We are not out of the woods yet. We all need to be in this together. Everyone needs to get vaccinated, for everyone’s sake.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it were only so simple.

Young kids can’t yet get the vaccine. I know they seem to get through the disease better, but they can die from it too. Also: other parts of the world still don’t have much vaccine available to them. As long as there are populations that continue to harbor the virus, it will continue to mutate, doing so frequently. Such mutations are usually harmless and meaningless to us humans. But sometimes a mutation makes the virus worse for us. It could make it worse for the young kids, and a mutation could possibly nullify the benefits of the vaccine altogether. We are not out of the woods yet. We all need to be in this together. Everyone needs to get vaccinated, for everyone’s sake.
I agree. The mutations are what are otherwise known as 'evolution'. All living organisms mutate. Most mutations do not convey a survival advantage, so they do not reproduce for long before they cease to exist. Some mutate and are neither better nor worse than the original, so they just continue alongside the original for however long. Some few manage to evade something that would otherwise kill them. They then tend to succeed.

This is why we have weeds today that eat the most powerful weed-killers. This is why we have 'super bugs' that are immune to nearly all antibiotics.

Some of the things we do as a species can make the conditions for successful mutations that will kill us more likely. This is generically true, it's not just about any particular virus or illness. For example, when multiple innoculations are required, only getting one and stopping there, or stopping treatment before the illness has run its course. This is why when you get an infection and the doctor gives you antibiotics, they tell you to take ALL of them, don't just stop when you feel better. Failing to completely eradicate whatever it is that you're infected with allows mutations that have even a slight advantage to keep reproducing, and favor those that can evade, even partially, the treatment being used. People who don't take all their medication are a BIG reason why diseases develop immunity to the medications we use.

The other reason mutations continue to mutate and succeed is because we do not practice the methods that might cause them to die in the person they infect. If a person has a disease, even if they are not aware of it, or only mildly ill, and they do not practice distancing and/or masking, whatever mutations they have won't stop with them if they find another host or hosts.

I have a neighbor next door. He's a great guy, he's been a huge help to me since we moved in to the neighborhood. Friendly guy, would give you the shirt off his back. He is my age, he's got diabetes like me. He lives with his wife and adult daughter. They were really struggling to find a place to get their vaccinations a month ago when I got mine. I told them how to work within the system to get signed up for a vaccination. The wife did it and got vaccinated. The husband and daughter decided to wait until the vaccines became more easily available. They got infected. He got VERY VERY sick and was nearly taken to the hospital. Said he could not move off the couch for a week. Chest hurt, problems breathing, the whole thing.

Now, two weeks later, he feels better. This weekend, they are having a huge garage sale. No masks, and of course he's out meeting people who come by for the sale. Super spreader, I'd say. Not only will he be exposing everyone who visits to what he had, if he has any mutations that would make it harder to vaccinate, he'll be spreading that too.

I don't get it. It's like we want to go extinct as a species.

OliviaParcker

White Belt
Reaction score
Young children cannot get the vaccine yet. I know they seem to handle the disease better, but they can die from it too. and I don’t even know I would do it for my child because it’s so risky ..

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Young children cannot get the vaccine yet. I know they seem to handle the disease better, but they can die from it too. and I don’t even know I would do it for my child because it’s so risky ..
I understand that the question for children is a difficult one for parents, and I sympathize. I do believe that the risks of being vaccinated have been vastly overblown and exaggerated. It would appear to me that those who attempt to sow fear have other motivations than a simple desire to help others.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like you are a good, caring mom. When vaccines are approved for younger children, go to your doctor and ask all the tough questions and get the best answers you can, then make your decision based on solid, factual information. Don't let yourself be taken in by conspiracy theories and fear mongers pushing their personal agenda.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Risky? Please share what information you have.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Try 52% with one dose and 39.5% fully vaccinated as of May 25. This is per the CDC.

Sad to see you back to your predictable dxxk self calling people misfits and kooks.
Sadder that you seem to enjoy being that way.
Up to date information is here:

You're welcome. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are running tests to determine the safety among younger children. They do not approve these things for use, even emergency approval, without overwhelming data to support both the effectiveness AND the safety.

lt is possible that some very small portion of the population may have a negative reaction, beyond the simple symptoms that are typical for a couple days after getting the vaccine. Those symptoms are expected and thoroughly understood, and are not harmful. But a very small portion of the population may have an allergic reaction that can be serious. So I understand the concerns.

however, this is true of all the vaccinations that are routinely given to all children. The tiny risk of a negative reaction to the vaccine is weighed against the known and very real risk that the disease represents: serious illness, long-lasting symptoms, compromised health that might last months or even a lifetime, and death. And the risk of spreading the disease more widely to others in the community, making it more difficult or even impossible to stamp down the disease in a meaningful way.

please talk to your doctor about your concerns. Get good information. I have a seven year-old son. When the vaccine is approved for his age group, I will get him in to get it just as soon as possible.

my dad recently commented to me, that when he was a kid the Salk vaccine against polio came out. My grandmother who was a nurse got all the kids in to get it immediately. And polio became controlled. The risk of the disease is far greater than the risks from the vaccine.

please, when it is determined safe, get your child vaccinated.

OliviaParcker

White Belt
Reaction score
I understand that the question for children is a difficult one for parents, and I sympathize. I do believe that the risks of being vaccinated have been vastly overblown and exaggerated. It would appear to me that those who attempt to sow fear have other motivations than a simple desire to help others.

yes I agree with you .. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions