It feels good to be back.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I temporarily lost my health insurance last weekend do to what the company later said was a "software glitch". I found out when I tried to pick up my prescriptions. Hours on the phone resolved nothing. Fortunately, by Monday it was discovered that thousands, if not all the employees where I work were affected ...and there's strength in numbers. So very soon, my policy was re-instated. Phew!

Anyway, as was resolving this issue on Monday, I was talking to the health insurance contact for my employer, ...a really nice, helpful lady and we were going over my kids coverage too. In passing, she mentioned that she had a 17 year old son. Now that was the day that the CDC opened up the COVID vaccines for everybody, nation-wide, 16 and older.

So, I shared that both my kids were getting appointments to be vaccinated and asked her if she had taken that step yet. "Oh no!" she replied, "My boy plays baseball. I can't risk him having his arm affected by the vaccine. I just don't think it's safe!"

She was very nice and being helpful, so I just said, "Oh." ...but I was thinking WTF!!!!!! This is COVID we're talking about and you are worried about your son having a sore arm and it affecting his game ...for a few days?!? Oh well....

I suppose if you do try to pitch at 100% right after being vaccinated, when your arm is affected, you could injure your arm, and hurt your game and lose that sports scholarship...

Or you could skip the vaccine and get really really sick, or asymptomatically carry spread the disease around...

You know as a coach myself (in martial arts) I would think that talking it over with his coach, arranging to have the kid vaccinated, then take a few days off to recover, and then take a few more days to gradually work back up to his full game ...would be so much wiser ....for him, for the team, for everybody. But what do I know.
Just...wow...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, I shared that both my kids were getting appointments to be vaccinated and asked her if she had taken that step yet. "Oh no!" she replied, "My boy plays baseball. I can't risk him having his arm affected by the vaccine. I just don't think it's safe!"

She was very nice and being helpful, so I just said, "Oh." ...but I was thinking WTF!!!!!! This is COVID we're talking about and you are worried about your son having a sore arm and it affecting his game ...for a few days?!?
Doesn't surprise me. I've heard some crazy reasons for not taking it. They gave me the shot and I didn't realize that I was even stuck. I almost wanted to ask her if she was sure the needle went in lol.

But later that day I knew for sure. I had soreness in my entire shoulder, my hand had a little swelling, and all I wanted to do was just lay down I didn't feel alert. The 3rd day I was fine. I've had worse side effects from drinking milk. :)

Did get my health insurance situation fixed though.
yeah you can't make her mad while she's helping you ha ha ha. Gotta get that insurance fixed first.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I temporarily lost my health insurance last weekend do to what the company later said was a "software glitch". I found out when I tried to pick up my prescriptions. Hours on the phone resolved nothing. Fortunately, by Monday it was discovered that thousands, if not all the employees where I work were affected ...and there's strength in numbers. So very soon, my policy was re-instated. Phew!

Anyway, as was resolving this issue on Monday, I was talking to the health insurance contact for my employer, ...a really nice, helpful lady and we were going over my kids coverage too. In passing, she mentioned that she had a 17 year old son. Now that was the day that the CDC opened up the COVID vaccines for everybody, nation-wide, 16 and older.

She was very nice and being helpful, so I just said, "Oh." ...but I was thinking WTF!!!!!! This is COVID we're talking about and you are worried about your son having a sore arm and it affecting his game ...for a few days?!? Oh well....

I suppose if you do try to pitch at 100% right after being vaccinated, when your arm is affected, you could injure your arm, and hurt your game, and lose that sports scholarship, and...

Or you could "play is safe" and skip the vaccine and get really really sick, or asymptomatically carry spread the disease around, infect a bunch of your teammates, family and friends, and......

You know as a coach myself (in martial arts) I would think that talking it over with his coach, arranging to have the kid vaccinated, then take a few days off to recover, and then take a few more days to gradually work back up to his full game ...would be so much wiser ....for him, for the team, for everybody. But what do I know. So I kept quiet. :confused:

Did get my health insurance situation fixed though. :)
with a school age kids its very debatable if the vacine is more of a risk than the virus I'm some what older and came to much the same coconclusion, never felt better, why risk it

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
with a school age kids its very debatable if the vacine is more of a risk than the virus I'm some what older and came to much the same coconclusion, never felt better, why risk it
Why indeed? Play it safe, skip the jab and go have yourself a fag. Just don't let yourself get fat! ;)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why indeed? Play it safe, skip the jab and go have yourself a fag. Just don't let yourself get fat! ;)
I'd didnt skip it to be honest, I couldnt be bothered ringing up to make an appointment, they were sending me letters getting increasingly demanding, which sort of set my mind against it, but they have given up on those now.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd didnt skip it to be honest, I couldnt be bothered ringing up to make an appointment, they were sending me letters getting increasingly demanding, which sort of set my mind against it, but they have given up on those now.
Honestly, the virus that infects you doesn't know what it's in for.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly, the virus that infects you doesn't know what it's in for.
I'm now working on the assumption I've had it, I did feel a bit $$$$ for a few days last summer, so probebly that,

I do seem to have a fairly robust immune system, I've not been in hospital since I left at 3 days old

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm now working on the assumption I've had it, I did feel a bit $$$$ for a few days last summer, so probebly that,

I do seem to have a fairly robust immune system, I've not been in hospital since I left at 3 days old
You know, I feel the same way which is why I wasn't too worried about myself when why wife came down with it last winter. But I teach in a public high school, and I was one of those who requested to go back to the classroom starting last fall. If I did get infected, it could affect a lot of people....so I felt I really should get the vaccine as soon as it became available to me. Same logic applies to my teaching Wing Chun.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, I feel the same way which is why I wasn't too worried about myself when why wife came down with it last winter. But I teach in a public high school, and I was one of those who requested to go back to the classroom starting last fall. If I did get infected, it could affect a lot of people....so I felt I really should get the vaccine as soon as it became available to me. Same logic applies to my teaching Wing Chun.
This has been my biggest motivator, not infecting others. I'm not too worried about getting Covid myself, and I think there's a good chance that both my wife and I had it early on in the pandemic, and I can work from home for now. My parents are in their middle 80's and part of the reason I moved to AZ was to be around to help them out and I want to minimize their risks as much as possible. Similarly, I wanted to get jabbed before going back to MA training because you never know who has a compromised immune system or other co-morbidities and I didn't want to put others at greater risk either.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, technically today is day 8 of being back to daily training. I felt the sore muscles earlier in the week, but now my joints are joining the complaint choir. I’m probably just going to be abusing the naproxen for a little while until my body adjusts.
That gave me a chuckle. I wonder how many people here have been where you are, and will hopefully get there again.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pfizer just released a message saying that the Covid oral anti-viral pill ready by end of the year. Will the delivery system matter at this point ? Most people just want to be over and done with so they can get on with their normal lives.

Haha, Tony, good on ya for getting all that training. Next day is fun for sure but the day after that is even funner.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it’s now been 3 weeks back to regular trainin, averaging 12 hours per week. The muscle soreness is overall much less than I had feared. Apparently I managed to maintain more strength and endurance than I thought. My cardio is still a bit weak, but also better than I had expected.

I haven’t been back to Sumo or MMA yet, because I was nursing a slightly strained calf muscle and I didn’t want to make it worse with anything that was going to require explosive footwork. However it was feeling pretty much 100% better during yesterday’s HEMA workout, so I may be ready to start back with all my usual classes. Next weekend I’ll be attending a Muay Thai seminar for the first time in a couple of years, so that should be fun.

I was worried about my flexibility, because that had seemed to go way, way downhill while I was off the mats and I was having a hard time making myself stretch consistently. However I think the act of doing jiu-jitsu must signal my body that it’s time to relax and open up my hips. I just checked and I am once again able to kick head height without warming up. A month ago I couldn’t do that.

My next step is to add supplemental strength and conditioning exercises back into my routine. I haven’t done much of that for the last 3 weeks, because I figured my body was already working hard enough adapting to regular training again. Fingers crossed I can maintain motivation for that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, it’s now been 3 weeks back to regular trainin, averaging 12 hours per week. The muscle soreness is overall much less than I had feared. Apparently I managed to maintain more strength and endurance than I thought. My cardio is still a bit weak, but also better than I had expected.

I haven’t been back to Sumo or MMA yet, because I was nursing a slightly strained calf muscle and I didn’t want to make it worse with anything that was going to require explosive footwork. However it was feeling pretty much 100% better during yesterday’s HEMA workout, so I may be ready to start back with all my usual classes. Next weekend I’ll be attending a Muay Thai seminar for the first time in a couple of years, so that should be fun.

I was worried about my flexibility, because that had seemed to go way, way downhill while I was off the mats and I was having a hard time making myself stretch consistently. However I think the act of doing jiu-jitsu must signal my body that it’s time to relax and open up my hips. I just checked and I am once again able to kick head height without warming up. A month ago I couldn’t do that.

My next step is to add supplemental strength and conditioning exercises back into my routine. I haven’t done much of that for the last 3 weeks, because I figured my body was already working hard enough adapting to regular training again. Fingers crossed I can maintain motivation for that.
Getting back sucks, that's for sure. But, ah well, it's what we do.

Careful with that calf muscle. Hurt, they can really set you back a long way, regardless of style or sport.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I said I'd be back when this was over. Well it's not over, but it's better. I've been double-vaxxed, back in the dojo, about to be back to work. Gained and then lost over 30 pounds. New diabetes medications, now on cholestoral and blood pressure meds as well. Family is well. Epic beard. That's all for now.

Attachments

• me in dojo.jpg
    me in dojo.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I said I'd be back when this was over. Well it's not over, but it's better. I've been double-vaxxed, back in the dojo, about to be back to work. Gained and then lost over 30 pounds. New diabetes medications, now on cholestoral and blood pressure meds as well. Family is well. Epic beard. That's all for now.
Bill Mattocks is in da house!

Great to see/read you, Bill, glad to hear the family is well.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really great to hear from you Bill :) hoping health is okay, good to hear you're getting back into things

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm genuinely heartened to see how everyone but the misfits and kooks are getting vaccinated. The county in which I live is at 72% with at least 1 dose, and 59% fully vaccinated, 12 years and older.

I was most surprised to discover that the tail you get from the vaccine is prehensile.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm genuinely heartened to see how everyone but the misfits and kooks are getting vaccinated. The county in which I live is at 72% with at least 1 dose, and 59% fully vaccinated, 12 years and older.

I was most surprised to discover that the tail you get from the vaccine is prehensile.
I get my second dose tuesday, can't wait. I'm really hoping the 5G reception is all its cracked up to be.

Latest Discussions