Is your school affiliated with a federation?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well Earl, thats what I am talking about

if you show BB level skill, they ought to let you wear your BB while you are learning thier club specific stuff.

if they wont let you wear your BB while learning thier club specific stuff, i wouldnt train there anyway.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
thats when you do your forms, then put the gear on, and crack someone in the head.

if they still doubt you, either :
1) they suck, and you dont want to train there
2) you suck, and you should drop a few ranks

this is not rocket science

3) You are fine they are fine but you need to acclaimated in their system so you start at a white belt

Why is the cloth around the waist so important?

Errant108

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We're affiliated with the World Zen Fellowship, which is headed out of Hwagyesa, a temple near Seoul. We have no affiliation with the ITF or WTF. Because Taekwondo is only a facet or root art of what we practice, we don't issue rank in it.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was wondering if you'd share who your instructor's instructor is. Do you mean he was in the Korean War with Gen. Choi?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Chris

Our Association Masters Instructor is Grandmaster Ki Ha Rhee IX.
Master O (As our Master calls himself) says he remembers talking to GM Rhee about his exploits in Korea with Cen Choi and GM Rhee was the person who introduced TKD to the UK. Master O was one of his first 12 blackbelts who GM Rhee called his "12 disciples".

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Apart from being in the BTC, which everyone who practices TKD in Britain should be anyway, we are independant.
Why is that? I'm not part of the BTC, I think they have done nothing but look after thier own interests since their inception (and are mainly controlled by the TAGB anyway) - just what have they done?

Anyways.. Im independant.. have been since my club started.. certificates dont mean jack if the skills behind them are rubbish, as such Ill let myself and my students skills speak for themselves.. it works the same if people wish to join my school.

Did General Choi, Funakoshi, Kano et al use certificates to prove their worth.. I dont think so!!!

Stuart

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our Association Masters Instructor is Grandmaster Ki Ha Rhee IX.
Master O (As our Master calls himself) says he remembers talking to GM Rhee about his exploits in Korea with Cen Choi and GM Rhee was the person who introduced TKD to the UK. Master O was one of his first 12 blackbelts who GM Rhee called his "12 disciples".

I didn't know GM Rhee was in the Korean War under Gen. Choi (you mentioned in your previous post that he "fought in Korean with [Gen. Choi]"). That would've made him pretty young to be in the army.

From what I understand, GM Rhee is pretty awesome. I'd love to have the chance to train under him some time.

Pax,

Chris

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn't know GM Rhee was in the Korean War under Gen. Choi (you mentioned in your previous post that he "fought in Korean with [Gen. Choi]"). That would've made him pretty young to be in the army.

From what I understand, GM Rhee is pretty awesome. I'd love to have the chance to train under him some time.

Pax,

Chris

We are hoping to have him at a Seminar soon. I believe he is awesome and if he does do a seminar for us I am definitely attending!

I have seen interviews with GM Rhee which quotes him as consulting Gen Choi in matter of TKD but I have not found one yet which says he served under Gen Choi. I don't disbelieve it though, Master O is not known to make things up, he could have misunderstood but that's not usual either. GM Rhee may have been very young when he trained with Gen Choi (which I know for a fact he did) but I know he brought TKD into Britain in July 1967, over 40 years ago so he's got to be getting on a bit now. He does look young for his age though.

Last edited:

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why is that? I'm not part of the BTC, I think they have done nothing but look after thier own interests since their inception (and are mainly controlled by the TAGB anyway) - just what have they done?

Anyways.. Im independant.. have been since my club started.. certificates dont mean jack if the skills behind them are rubbish, as such Ill let myself and my students skills speak for themselves.. it works the same if people wish to join my school.

Did General Choi, Funakoshi, Kano et al use certificates to prove their worth.. I dont think so!!!

Stuart

I beleive everyone should be with the BTC becasue they offer you so much. Our Indemnity is really cheap but good, the students insurance is cheap, the accrediations are easy to get and not expensive if your association does't bung on lots of charges and they are widely recognised e.g. I am going to take the teaching in schools accreditation next year hopefully and it teaches the school curriculum. The government recognises it as a valid accreditation. The BTC also has a smaller body which defines who goes tot he olympics... I don't believe this is fair as everyone should be able to try for them. Maybe the TAGB does have a doe of influence in the BTC but they are the biggest association so the BTC is going to take a lot of notice of them.

When I said everyone should be in the BTC I mean because it's so good, not because you are not a true practitioner if you are not. I don't believe that, in fact in another post I did say that if I was a single student under an independant Instructor I would still think the same of my rank.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe the TAGB does have a doe of influence in the BTC but they are the biggest association so the BTC is going to take a lot of notice of them.

I am a little confused as far as the British orgs are concerned, please clarify: The larger (umbrella?) organization is the British Taekwondo Council? One of the larger groups? within the BTC is the Taekwondo Association of Great Britain? Can you be a member of one without being a member of the other?

Thanks!

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am a little confused as far as the British orgs are concerned, please clarify: The larger (umbrella?) organization is the British Taekwondo Council? One of the larger groups? within the BTC is the Taekwondo Association of Great Britain? Can you be a member of one without being a member of the other?

Thanks!

OK The BTC is the British TaeKwonDo council, which is a governing body and organises insurance and guide the associations and it's individual members on up to date legislation and also provides aid if you have a claim put in against you. It's the only governing body that the sports council recognise also so it's pretty powerful and very helpful.

The TAGB and my association the GTUK are basically very very large clubs who have thousands of members and all have thier own set of training rules. Everyone who practices TaeKwonDo in any size club can join the BTC for thier benefits. Of course it costs so you do have to weight the advantages but I believe that the advantages far outweigh the costs if you can afford it.

There is a link here so you can have a look at the web site if you are still confused.

http://www.britishtaekwondocouncil.org/

You will find links to member sites under the "Membership" link.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
We are hoping to have him at a Seminar soon. I believe he is awesome and if he does do a seminar for us I am definitely attending!

I have seen interviews with GM Rhee which quotes him as consulting Gen Choi in matter of TKD but I have not found one yet which says he served under Gen Choi. I don't disbelieve it though, Master O is not known to make things up, he could have misunderstood but that's not usual either. GM Rhee may have been very young when he trained with Gen Choi (which I know for a fact he did) but I know he brought TKD into Britain in July 1967, over 40 years ago so he's got to be getting on a bit now. He does look young for his age though.

Oh, GM Rhee had a very close relationship with Gen. Choi, from what I understand. He was the first IX dan promoted by Gen. Choi back in 1997 after being a VIII for 16 years. IIRC, he was also on more than one official ITF demonstration team which toured many countries to spread interest in Taekwon-Do.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the near future with the ITF-NK because, IIRC, Chang Ung said he'd only serve one term. I can't imagine anyone besides GM Rhee being the next President. But I'm very far removed from that whole situation :) and it will depend entirely on whether or not Chang Ung decides not to run again.

The reason why I asked about him serving under the General in the Korean war was because GM Rhee just celebrated his 70th birthday last year. That would've made him 15 in 1953 when the armistace was signed. Too young to serve in the military, I would imagine. The only people I know of who served under Gen. Choi during the war or shortly afterwards when he founded the Oh Do Kwan were Han Cha Kyo, Nam Tae Hi, and Woo Jong Lim. There may well be others, of course, although a lot of the early ITF pioneers seemed to have joined up after Gen. Choi retired from the army and became the ROK ambassador to Malaysia.

Pax,

Chris

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It might have been that then, I may have misunderstood what Master O was saying.

It will be insteresting to see what happens with the ITF-NK, if GM Rhee takes over I can see our association joining up with that ITF. I am nto sure which version of the ITF we were with before but I suspect that it wasn't that one and one of the reasons we left the ITF could be that GM Rhee was earmarked for taking over the ITF-NK. It would make sense for us to be in the ITF that our Master's Instructor runs!

I have just looked this up and the average ago of a Korean Soldier was 17-24 with some serving well into thier 50's and 60's so it's entirely possible that a 15 year old would be serving as a message boy or something. Who knows. Maybe I will ask him one day when I finally get to meet him.

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Looking at the ITF run by Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa if you look at the members on there Master Roy Oldham and Mr John Archer are both listed as expired members.

hope that helps Chris.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes it does Chris thanks, I thought it might be that one but I wasn't sure. Master O didn't elaborate when he was talking about it at the AGM last week.

GM Steiner

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm independent Ch'ang Hon with schools in the UK, USA and South America and happy to help out those of you looking for a home. Will be in UK the middle of October to teach a seminar in Merseyside

GM Steiner
www.chitkd.com

Latest Discussions