Is Toad style still in existence?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have never heard of Toad Style except on Kung Fu Hustle.

You can find it in an old Hong Kong Kungfu movie called the Five Deadly Venoms too.

My guess, it was never a real Traditional CMA style and it is an invention that either popped up for performance Wushu or popped up for performance Wushu based on a movie.

Look at just about any CMA style and you will see animal forms and complete styles dedicated to those animals. However in most cases they tend to be repeats of the same animal name. Multiple styles have crane, bear, dragon, eagle, etc. I have not seen a CMA style with any posture called toad or frog. This does not mean that there is not one, there are a lot of CMA styles that I have not seen.

But if toad style ever were a real style and I highly doubt that it was, look at it this way; it is not longer in existence which generally means in the CMA world that it was not all that effective.

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have never heard of it as a legitimate CMA style new or old.

How do you know there was a toad style long ago in china? What is your source?

And please tell me you didn't get this from the Five Deadly Venoms, if so it’s a movie.

You asked the all important question before I could again! %-}

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You can file it under Crab Kung Fu.

ROFL you totally beat me to that one. I was about to say uh oh, here is another "crab Kung Fu " thread. Lol , getting styles from video games and what not :p I actually laughed out loud at your post. Too funny !!

OP
Nitedragon89

Nitedragon89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yea dude no need to get personal was just wondering already from my assumptions, I could already tell there wasn't a style proabably was just wondering if anyone actually ever heard about it.

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yea dude no need to get personal was just wondering already from my assumptions, I could already tell there wasn't a style proabably was just wondering if anyone actually ever heard about it.

Are you sure?

Hello, I was wondering if there still is a toad style in the world? I know there was a toad style long ago in china.

:mst:

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
first time to hear the style is in reading a kung fu novel called 射雕英雄传, written by famous Wu Xia writter JIN YONG.
but in real world, i have never heard any one training this.
hard to imagine how to use this in real fight!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I believe stevenbjj already alluded to this, but I imagine a well trained Toad stylist could give someone a SERIOUS tongue lashing :D

Sorry I could no longer resist, I just HAD to say it :uhyeah:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I heard where the last practitioner of this style croaked.

TheToadIsReal

White Belt
Reaction score
It does exist and I made this account just to prove it, It's name is Qīngwā quán (Frog Fist) and currently has only 8 practitioners and will probably be gone within the next 50 years. ANY VIDEO YOU SEE OF IT IS FAKE! People love to say they know it then they just dance like a frog. THE REAL VIDEO is performed only once by one of the 8 practitioners: Xie Huai Cheng. And I have the link right here:
. The forms you see in movies are of course imitations.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does exist and I made this account just to prove it, It's name is Qīngwā quán (Frog Fist) and currently has only 8 practitioners and will probably be gone within the next 50 years. ANY VIDEO YOU SEE OF IT IS FAKE! People love to say they know it then they just dance like a frog. THE REAL VIDEO is performed only once by one of the 8 practitioners: Xie Huai Cheng. And I have the link right here:
. The forms you see in movies are of course imitations.
Can you share some more information? What are the characteristics? Are they not teaching it anymore, and deliberately letting the style die out, or just having trouble recruiting new students for some reason?