is this the best the dems can offer...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Clinton and Bush II were both relatively young as Presidents go. Clinton wasn't a legacy by any stretch of the imagination.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, it ain't the Dream Team of 2004 which included such visionaries as Al Sharpton, Dennis Kucinich, Howard Dean, Wesley Clark, and Carol Mosely Braun, but it's a pretty good offering. :rofl:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
    • Congressman Dennis Kucinich : Aside from being widely perceived by both Democrats and Republicans as a nut, and thus, largely unelectable, he’s going to call for the immediate withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Iraq. For the record, this is not a viable stance for any Democratic candidate, no matter how desirable. It’s just as Colin Powelll stated long before we invaded: Iraq has become the proverbial broken china shop, and we’ve bought it, likely for the long haul, whether we want it or not. The electable Democratic candidate is going to have to take this stance with the public, as it’s the only honest one, in my opinion.
    • Former Senator John Edwards: Has a “plan” for gradual withdrawal from Iraq, and appears to be a viable candidate. His call for removal of the likes of KBR and Halliburton from Iraq, or a reevaluation of his contracts may make it so he doesn’t get the nomination, but a current front-runner in some polls of Democrats.
    • Senator Jospeh Biden : . He has long supported the Bush Administration's war effort and appropriations to pay for it, but has argued repeatedly that more soldiers are needed, the war should be internationalized, and the Bush administration should "level with the American people" about the cost and length of the conflict. The plagiarism thing will come up again as well. Largely as has-been/also ran, presidentially speaking.
    • Senator Christopher Dodd : Has proposed a cap on the “:troop surge.” Perceived as a “northeast liberal,” and for this, largely unelectable in the wake of Kerry’s election debacle…possible VP with a southern candidate, like Edwards, but not a front-runner
    • Former Governor Tom Vilsack : Vilsack says he would like to see troops out of harm's way in Iraq and Iraqis take more responsibility for their own country. Not a bad governor, but too pro-gun control, and largely not destined to be any kind of front-runner.
    • Governor William Richardson : This one’s a personal favorite, as I know the guy. He’s been a pretty fair success as governor, U.N. ambassador, ambassador at large, and as my former boss, head of the DOE.While he’s likeable, articulate and capable, it’s likely that much will be made of his fondness for tequila and flirtatiousness with young ladies-not saying that he drinks any more Patron than I do, or that he fools around, just that it won’t be hard for someone to find a woman or two willing to say he drunkenly grabbed their tushes in a bar… He wants a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq.Might be electable-Arnold’s alleged groping didn’t keep him from becoming Governator, and, as far as race goes, a Hispanic is far more likely to be elected than any other “minority.”

Which brings us to the two originals, and apparent media favorites…
    • Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton: Well, I don’t like her-she’s from the far left wing of liberalism, almost a neo-communist, but that’s my chief complaint about her. I think she’s probably as capable of doing the job as anyone else, and the country will, sooner or later, elect a woman. It’s just a matter of time-she’s not electable, though, by virtue of her association with her husband’s administration, tendency towards caustic comments (I think she’ll say something unforgivable before the convention), and widespread distrust and downright hatred by a large portion of the populace.
    • Senator Barack Obama: I saw the guy speak in Denver a little more than a month ago. He’s funny, articulate-no, downright eloquent, and charismatic-not to mention young and good looking. His inexperience does weigh against him, but it’s also an asset: he has no apparent political baggage. He’s generally opposed the war in Iraq, but hasn’t taken a firm stance on his future plans for it. He is, however, black, and has an interesting family history. While I think America is going to, sooner or later, elect a black person (how many of you in both parties would have voted for Colin Powell?), it’s probably not going to be this one-Condie Rice has a better chance. The media (Fox) is already trying to make something of his father’s being a Muslim, his Islamic name, and his attending a madrassa for two years in Indonesia-never mind that said madrassa may have been the only school available besides the Catholic one he also attended, or that it wasn’t Wahabist, or that his mother was an atheist, and he is a Christian-they chant madrassa, madrassa, madrassa whenever they mention his campaign these days-they haven’t gotten to Hussein, yet. He is already being portrayed by some in the media as some sort of Manchurian Candidate-if not the “Manchurian Negro,” surely the “Manchurian Muslim……”Additionally, his Kenyan origins have resulted in some mixed reactions in the African American community, rather than overwhelming support-the first time I heard the “words” Halfrican American used they were directed towards me, but the last two times it’s been in refernece to him, in the so-called black media, which is largely owned by Republican supporting media corporations. In the end, I think his candidacy is going to teach us a lot about how both sides feel about race, and how it’s come to be defined, but he’s not going to get the nomination. He might just make a good VP candidate for the one name not mentioned in this thread, a guy who’s sure to declare I think: Al Gore.

As for the white, male, rich model-forget it-in the end, all that really matters is corporate support-as soon as the majors can suborn someone who is more proletarian, they’ll be elected. In the meantime, yeah, they’ll keep feeding us their own kind…..

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interestingly quaint attitudes.

I highly doubt anyone has anything to worry about. The United States is not yet ready for either a female or non-white president.

Well, I do not think that you are accusing people who dislike Hillary and Obama of being bigoted. But I think that we should be ready for the implications that anyone who dares to speak against them is indeed not fully human.

I remember back when Hillary was in charge of the attempted takeover of health care in America and a radio talk show host had the gall to speak against her. She responded in a radio clip that he and others like him were merely scared of a strong woman in a position of power.

Of course, when we are talking about people like Margret Thatcher, Connie Rice and others like them, we do not see them have to rely on playing that kind of card. But of course, Hillary is not one to be able to rely on the strength of her charecter and abilities. So I think that we should all get used to the accusations that people that oppose her are some sort of woman hater. It is not like we have not seen this sort of thing, even here on martialtalk.

For myself, I would say that Thatcher was head of her country over twenty years ago. So I think that America would accept a woman or a non- white. Based on just what I know now, I would vote for Colin Powell or Conndie Rice over any of the Dem or Rep candidates if the vote was held today. But so far, the frontrunner of the Dems (Hillary) is someone I would fight tooth and nail before I saw her elected. I have been accused of being bigoted for less on this board and I expect to be accused again because of my stance. So be it.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I do not think that you are accusing people who dislike Hillary and Obama of being bigoted. But I think that we should be ready for the implications that anyone who dares to speak against them is indeed not fully human.

I remember back when Hillary was in charge of the attempted takeover of health care in America and a radio talk show host had the gall to speak against her. She responded in a radio clip that he and others like him were merely scared of a strong woman in a position of power.

Of course, when we are talking about people like Margret Thatcher, Connie Rice and others like them, we do not see them have to rely on playing that kind of card. But of course, Hillary is not one to be able to rely on the strength of her charecter and abilities. So I think that we should all get used to the accusations that people that oppose her are some sort of woman hater. It is not like we have not seen this sort of thing, even here on martialtalk.

For myself, I would say that Thatcher was head of her country over twenty years ago. So I think that America would accept a woman or a non- white. Based on just what I know now, I would vote for Colin Powell or Conndie Rice over any of the Dem or Rep candidates if the vote was held today. But so far, the frontrunner of the Dems (Hillary) is someone I would fight tooth and nail before I saw her elected. I have been accused of being bigoted for less on this board and I expect to be accused again because of my stance. So be it.

Actually, IIRC, The Master, was responding to a couple of since deleted posts that used racist and bigoted language directly targeted at Mr. Obama (can't repeat what he was called or I'd lose my staff position - seriously) and Mrs. Clinton. This raised my ire as well and I'm glad they were deleted.

I don't wish either of them as the Democratic Party Nominee - Hillary because, IMO, she's an opportunist of the worst sort and Senator Obama because I don't think he has the experience to be President at this time.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As a minority I would NEVER vote for someone because they are a minority. I will vote for the individual that I feel would be the better leader period, and if that happens to be a white male then I will vote for a white male, if it is a woman then I will vote for a woman, if it's a minority then you know what I'll do.