Is this legal in Bayarea California to carry out?

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I got the idea from Kung Fu Wang:
The Mechanics Of Powering Your Martial Arts Movement

Post #55. I thought it makes sense. It's cheap, I ordered like 7 of them!!!

I was a little concern about my finger, but if it actually can break my finger, then, it's not a good idea.

Regarding to making the opponent angry, I can CARE LESS. My point is to do whatever to get back up on my feet and slug it out. What make you think I cannot beat them standing up? I'd scratch, punch, bite, eyes gouging, anything to get back on my feet. If I still get beat up, that's on me.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not convinced this sort of thing would be anyones nightmare.
It may make someone mad lol. I know I worry about the take down game as a priority, but not to the extent that I need a spike wring. If I wanted some equipment that would take away some of that game then I would go for spike wrist bands to help discourage wrist controls. lol

1638830223516.png

Then if I'm still nervous, then I will just get theses lol. I'll just turn myself into one big porcupine lol
1638830309090.png

All I need after that is some KISS boots. and I'm set for the perfect defense. Spike arm bands mean I don't even have to punch lol.

But seriously. In Georgia that spiked ring could be seen as a concealed weapon. If the police find that ring on a self-defense site then it could bring some legal issues if it's used specifically for the purpose of fighting. It ranks up there with brass knuckles.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I was a little concern about my finger, but if it actually can break my finger, then, it's not a good idea.

Regarding to making the opponent angry, I can CARE LESS. My point is to do whatever to get back up on my feet and slug it out. What make you think I cannot beat them standing up? I'd scratch, punch, bite, eyes gouging, anything to get back on my feet. If I still get beat up, that's on me.
You seem to have an intense concern for your personal safety. Are you getting into weekly confrontations lately?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I peeled the skin off part of my ring finger getting my wedding band caught on a ladder once. I still wince thinking about it.
Ouch. I don't even like to think of things like that lol . Ring injuries are really nasty. Now I want to take mine off

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It may make someone mad lol. I know I worry about the take down game as a priority, but not to the extent that I need a spike wring. If I wanted some equipment that would take away some of that game then I would go for spike wrist bands to help discourage wrist controls. lol

View attachment 27700

Then if I'm still nervous, then I will just get theses lol. I'll just turn myself into one big porcupine lol
View attachment 27701

All I need after that is some KISS boots. and I'm set for the perfect defense. Spike arm bands mean I don't even have to punch lol.

But seriously. In Georgia that spiked ring could be seen as a concealed weapon. If the police find that ring on a self-defense site then it could bring some legal issues if it's used specifically for the purpose of fighting. It ranks up there with brass knuckles.
Lol! What about the mask?

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You seem to have an intense concern for your personal safety. Are you getting into weekly confrontations lately?
No, in fact, I live in a nice neighborhood. BUT looking at all the older Chinese being attacked, I have to be prepared. That's the only reason I join this forum, learning stick fight. You see all the looting, robbing now a days, people in rich neighborhood are being robbed now. Crime is at over 20 years high in a lot of parts of this country.

Yes, I have other options, like I am carrying pepper spray, I can even carry knife in my pocket also at one time. BUT you see, I carry my cane as the primary weapon swinging with both hands, I don't have extra hand to pull out pepper spray or knife. A spike ring should not get in the way of me swinging the cane. then if I get taken down, it's on my finger to use. I don't have to reach into my pocket to get the spray or knife.

Hell, I just bought a Glock 26 early this year after not playing with guns for over 20 years so I have an option for carrying it out.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

View attachment 27700

View attachment 27701

These don't past the 'appearance" test!! Spike on the wrist is so much more useful and effective than the spike ring. Just use TKD ridge hand and it's right there to use.

Don't even have to get big one like this, I am sure a small one like only 1" wide with small spikes will work magic on grappler already. But I am not a punk, everything I use has to look very ordinary and innocent. Like my fiber filled Nylon cane was designed as weapon, I made them look so innocent that they are for old people only.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, in fact, I live in a nice neighborhood. BUT looking at all the older Chinese being attacked, I have to be prepared.
This is why I asked. I was thinking that your concern was based on something that the rest of us weren't having to deal with.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is why I asked. I was thinking that your concern was based on something that the rest of us weren't having to deal with.
Have to be prepared. Particular I am Chinese. Crimes know no neighborhood, the American flag in front of my house got stolen and this is a neighborhood of houses from $1.8M to $2.5M. My wife doesn't even want to take walk anymore.

You see the news a man today got followed home and robbed in the rich Los Angeles Ca.? Those are really rich area.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
These don't past the 'appearance" test!! Spike on the wrist is so much more useful and effective than the spike ring. Just use TKD ridge hand and it's right there to use.

Don't even have to get big one like this, I am sure a small one like only 1" wide with small spikes will work magic on grappler already. But I am not a punk, everything I use has to look very ordinary and innocent. Like my fiber filled Nylon cane was designed as weapon, I made them look so innocent that they are for old people only.
Get a Caucasian Shepherd and you'll never need to worry about anyone attacking you ever again lol.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Get a Caucasian Shepherd and you'll never need to worry about anyone attacking you ever again lol.
what make you think they fair any better?? :)

The rich guy in LA that got robbed is white!!!

Other than Chinese got singled out because of the China virus that crashed the world, everybody else is fair game in robbery.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what make you think they fair any better??
Yep, I'm pretty sure they would fair better. Lets put it to a test. Say the guy in the picture is Asian. Imagine that you are the thugs that you try to prepare yourself against. When you look at this guy, do you really think you will be attacking that guy while he's with the dog? What's the first thought in your mind. Worry about the man? or Worry about the dog? lol

1638846791541.png

I would like to have a dog like this, but I hear they are very territorial. I had a smaller dog that was like that and she wouldn't hesitate to attack guests. I couldn't manage a larger version of that same behavior.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Keep in mind-I've no practical experience with them, so this is conjecture. I'd guess the same is true for others that have posted here though, not sure many have practiced with ring spikes.

My guess is that it would be like brass knuckles-if you use it directly, the impact will come back on you and end up hurting your own finger, causing you more pain then your opponent. That pressure has to go somewhere, and if you hit something dead on, it'll go directly to you (the other comparison I can think of is gun recoil, although that's less accurate). So the only way to use it would be swiping/indirectly. You've also got to be careful when grappling because you're just as likely to accidentally hit yourself as your opponent, if your hands are tied up at all.

The issue with that, is that you'll break skin, but particularly with a swipe, you're not going to actually do much damage. The person you're fighting will bleed, but with adrenaline running that's about it, it won't actually help you all that much. The exception would be if you get them in like the eye or something, but if you've got a good shot of someone's eye, do you really need to rely on the ring? Overall, from a SD perspective, it doesn't seem worth it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
everybody else is fair game in robbery.
Yes and no. Criminals don't see everyone in the same way. If they are trying to rob you then they are looking for that path of least resistance. Their goal is to rob you, not fight you or kill you. Which is why police will tell you to just give up the cash.

If you resist then they may add a secondary goals, like shoot or stab you. Other cases people get shot and stabbed first and robbed. But in those cases that's usually part of the primary goal. Stab you, so you know they are serious.

In your case dealing with hate crimes. Robbers don't look at their victims like that. Robbers want something you got. Hate crimes just want to harm you out of anger an hate. But even then those who commit those crimes look for targets that think are easy. Where you see your cane as protection, a person who wants to commit a hate crime may see an advantage for them.

They may target you because you have a cane, and they may think you are using a can because you have a bad leg or hip. Then they may see the cane as something they can take away from you. There are downsides to walking with a cane.

Not everyone gets targeted by thugs and robbers. They are selective about who they attack. Not everyone gets attacked as part of a hate crime. If you look like an easy target then you'll probably get a visit.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yep, I'm pretty sure they would fair better. Lets put it to a test. Say the guy in the picture is Asian. Imagine that you are the thugs that you try to prepare yourself against. When you look at this guy, do you really think you will be attacking that guy while he's with the dog? What's the first thought in your mind. Worry about the man? or Worry about the dog? lol

View attachment 27708

I would like to have a dog like this, but I hear they are very territorial. I had a smaller dog that was like that and she wouldn't hesitate to attack guests. I couldn't manage a larger version of that same behavior.
Oh, excuse me, I thought you meant a white man!!! I was wondering what shepherd. I did not know it's a dog. That, will work.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes and no. Criminals don't see everyone in the same way. If they are trying to rob you then they are looking for that path of least resistance. Their goal is to rob you, not fight you or kill you. Which is why police will tell you to just give up the cash.

If you resist then they may add a secondary goals, like shoot or stab you. Other cases people get shot and stabbed first and robbed. But in those cases that's usually part of the primary goal. Stab you, so you know they are serious.

In your case dealing with hate crimes. Robbers don't look at their victims like that. Robbers want something you got. Hate crimes just want to harm you out of anger an hate. But even then those who commit those crimes look for targets that think are easy. Where you see your cane as protection, a person who wants to commit a hate crime may see an advantage for them.

They may target you because you have a cane, and they may think you are using a can because you have a bad leg or hip. Then they may see the cane as something they can take away from you. There are downsides to walking with a cane.

Not everyone gets targeted by thugs and robbers. They are selective about who they attack. Not everyone gets attacked as part of a hate crime. If you look like an easy target then you'll probably get a visit.
Ha ha, a lot of time I hold the cane at the middle and walk with a bounce to show I am NOT using the cane, more like "Don't tread on me"!!! I did see someone else (an asian) doing the same thing. He got an even long walking stick and he held in the middle and kind of swinging around while walking in the neighborhood.

This is a good you remind me that I should go out of my way to do more holding the cane in the middle to walk.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keep in mind-I've no practical experience with them, so this is conjecture. I'd guess the same is true for others that have posted here though, not sure many have practiced with ring spikes.

My guess is that it would be like brass knuckles-if you use it directly, the impact will come back on you and end up hurting your own finger, causing you more pain then your opponent. That pressure has to go somewhere, and if you hit something dead on, it'll go directly to you (the other comparison I can think of is gun recoil, although that's less accurate). So the only way to use it would be swiping/indirectly. You've also got to be careful when grappling because you're just as likely to accidentally hit yourself as your opponent, if your hands are tied up at all.

The issue with that, is that you'll break skin, but particularly with a swipe, you're not going to actually do much damage. The person you're fighting will bleed, but with adrenaline running that's about it, it won't actually help you all that much. The exception would be if you get them in like the eye or something, but if you've got a good shot of someone's eye, do you really need to rely on the ring? Overall, from a SD perspective, it doesn't seem worth it.
Ways to use the ring.

My concerns are like yours.
1. Will punching with the wring cause more damage to my finger as my single finger is going to take the impact I'm assuming that it's only for soft tissue.

2. If I turn the points toward my palm, does that mean I won't be able to make a fist for punching.

3. Will scratching with the ring cause more damage to my finger. I assume that the ring will pull my finger every time it digs into the skin of my attacker.

I punch with my knuckles not my fingers so there's that. Then there's the risk of the ring getting caught in clothing and could injure my finger.

The 4th issue would be the legal issue. Lots and lots of opportunity to get into legal trouble. In a lot of cases it's just better to get a license and carry a more reliable weapon. Between a ring and a knife, the knife may be the better option than trying to strike someone with a ring. Anyone who as sparred before understands that punching someone in the head without getting punched is not as easy as it sounds.

Latest Discussions