Is there any footage of Al Tracy doing Kenpo?

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
Where could I find footage of Al Tracy preforming his brand of Kenpo? Is there anything online? Would someone being willing to post some footage if they have it?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
Where could I find footage of Al Tracy preforming his brand of Kenpo? Is there anything online? Would someone being willing to post some footage if they have it?

There is no footage I am aware of with Mr. Tracy performing kenpo. There are numerous tapes of him teaching it. They can be purchased at his website.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is no footage I am aware of with Mr. Tracy performing kenpo. There are numerous tapes of him teaching it. They can be purchased at his website.

Whats up Dave:highfive: ain't that the same thing?? teaching, and performing
after all he is doing kenpo:hb: i was just banging my head over this one.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Not necessarily. When you are 'teaching' something on a video you are going to slow it down and do certain movements differently to emphasize things. When you are 'performing' something you can be going full speed and power as you would in "real time".

I have heard people talk about how well Mr. Tracy moves in person, and that it does NOT translate to how his videos are done.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

When I teach, I break the movements down, slow down the pace, stop and explain, etc. When I perform, I do it full speed, full power, or, if I have an uke, as close an approximation of that as possible.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably not my best effort here.... :idunno:

But history absolutely aside....

Having been in a "live fire" demo with Master Tracy, I can say that he was superb. His movements were not EPAK, as done today, but what was that Ed Parker said,???? "When pure fist meets pure flesh, you can't get any purer than that"... He was as fast as any I've seen, and faster than a lot. His strikes were accurate to the point that i felt like I should have been hit, and wasn't.

I have not seen Master Tracy in a goodly number of years, and he is well into the era when everyone else has taken up fishing, golf, or soap operas. I will say without reservation that I, personally, from my previous experience, would rather deal with a rattlesnake, bear handed, than face Al Tracy when he's really, really mad.

Mr. Tracy is a business man, and no one can fault him for that. He's not particularly bothered if you view him as a beloved instructor or a saavy business head, I don't think. And... so, you will probably not ever see any film of him teaching or moving. He doesn't have to provide it, even though I know it exists.

Latest Discussions