Is there any art in which sagging your pants doesn't put you at a severe disadvantage?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was driving home from work today, and passed by a pedestrian whose shorts were around his knees. His belt was keeping them in place over his knees. The way I see it, this is essentially tying his legs together. Should he need to fight, it's going to limit his mobility and stability; and you know he isn't going to be kicking. Should he need to run, his range of motion is limited.

It reminded me of several years ago, a similar situation. I'm driving to school, and I pass by someone who's pants are below his hips, and he's holding them up with one hand. If he wants to fight someone, his choices are:
  • Keep holding his pants up, which means he fights with one hand (and similar mobility limitations as the first scenario).
  • Let go of his pants so he can use both hands, at which point his pants will fall around his ankles and trip him up if he uses any footwork.
This has got me thinking. Is there any martial art in which this wouldn't be a significant disadvantage in a fight? Pretty much every martial art relies on footwork for effective range management or for proper form in takedowns and takedown defense. Is there an art that can prove me wrong? Or something I'm missing about the fashion style that doesn't cause as much of a hindrance as I think it does?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From a self-defense perspective. I feel safe when I'm around someone who Sags their pants. My logic is simple. I know right away that there is a whole lot of things that involves the legs that he won't be able to do. If destiny or fate has scheduled me to be in a fight on that day. I know it won't be with that guy. lol.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
It can be a good place to hide a sawed off/short barreled shotgun...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It lacks practical utility. Then again, so do high heels and plenty of people wear them anyway. A lot of people don’t build their wardrobes around fist fighting.

Hell, I wear a necktie to work everyday and that’d be terrible in a fight.

It's generally pretty easy to kick off a shoe. And spikes could have offensive use.
On the other hand, scrubs aren't all that different from what I wear to the dojang.

D

Deleted member 39746

For the holding a object of clothing up, thats part of fighting in some countries where their tradtional dress is long/a robe. it doesnt really create a issue if its weapons based as it also works as a place to keep your dead hand out of the way so you dont accidnetally cut it. (that and the other person would be doing the same as you tradtionally) The one that comes to mind the arabic robe i forget the name of.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
It lacks practical utility. Then again, so do high heels and plenty of people wear them anyway. A lot of people don’t build their wardrobes around fist fighting.

Hell, I wear a necktie to work everyday and that’d be terrible in a fight.

Call me crazy, but I generally wear subdued tones: blues, greys, greens, browns. It's not camouflage by any means, but I like the fact that, at night, it gives me at least a chance to disappear if lie down among brush or other concealment.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I generally wear subdued tones: blues, greys, greens, browns. It's not camouflage by any means, but I like the fact that, at night, it gives me at least a chance to disappear if lie down among brush or other concealment.
not standing out particularly isnt a bad strategy, even ignoring the lack of brush wood in a lot of urban environments,

I once cut through the back streets of the city centre at night,, something i did regularly with no incident, wearing a very white white coat and got some unwelcome attention from a group,

vowed not to do it again whilst so conspicuous and have had no issue since

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
not standing out particularly isnt a bad strategy, even ignoring the lack of brush wood in a lot of urban environments,

I once cut through the back streets of the city centre at night,, something i did regularly with no incident, wearing a very white white coat and got some unwelcome attention from a group,

vowed not to do it again whilst so conspicuous and have had no issue since

I used to wear funny t-shirts. For example, one that says "Hookd on fonix dun gud 4 mee." The problem is, every time I went anywhere, people would stop me to read my shirt. That got annoying. Now I wear plain shirts.

Not exactly the same situation, but similar...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to wear funny t-shirts. For example, one that says "Hookd on fonix dun gud 4 mee." The problem is, every time I went anywhere, people would stop me to read my shirt. That got annoying. Now I wear plain shirts.

Not exactly the same situation, but similar...
not the same but a,decision I reached with tshirt in general and my karate club branded hoody, your just encouraging people who you have no intrest in talking to, to talk to you, which is at best annoying and could lead to a negative if they take exception to what ever your tshirt says

it's hard these days to find anything that doesnt mortally offend someone

I personally have a dislike of people who try and illuminate their zany personality with zany ties and socks, neither of which should contain cartoon characters or or seasonal referances, what they do with their underwear doesnt generally concern me

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I go the other way so that I don't get run over.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it's hard these days to find anything that doesnt mortally offend someone

I personally have a dislike of people who try and illuminate their zany personality with zany ties and socks...

If you go around disliking people just because they wear silly socks, you sound pretty disagreeable. Guess that makes you the easily offended someone mentioned above. :p

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you go around disliking people just because they wear silly socks, you sound pretty disagreeable. Guess that makes you the easily offended someone mentioned above. :p
yes that was the subtext of the above joke, but thank for explaining it to me

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
New guy here. I'm not a betting man, but it's a pretty safe bet that a man sagging his pants lacks martial arts training. And situational awareness, which is the main thing that I'm big on. Someone who is prepared to either fight or run can do neither with sagging pants.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
New guy here. I'm not a betting man, but it's a pretty safe bet that a man sagging his pants lacks martial arts training. And situational awareness, which is the main thing that I'm big on. Someone who is prepared to either fight or run can do neither with sagging pants.
its a lot easier to fight than run, high kicking is difficult, but that's equally true of tight pants properly held up at the waist, but that not really necessary

its not that practical to wear clothing that has the same utility as a gi even if you dont go out of your way to make it difficult, most people are not prepared to fight or run in most situations

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
its a lot easier to fight than run, high kicking is difficult, but that's equally true of tight pants properly held up at the waist, but that not really necessary

its not that practical to wear clothing that has the same utility as a gi even if you dont go out of your way to make it difficult, most people are not prepared to fight or run in most situations

If you're talking about being at a disadvantage for not wearing a gi, just remember that the other guy is not wearing one either. But if one guy is sagging and the other guy is not, then the guy sagging is at a disadvantage.

When I speak of running, I'm not just talking about from another person. I'm also speaking of emergency-type situations.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're talking about being at a disadvantage for not wearing a gi, just remember that the other guy is not wearing one either. But if one guy is sagging and the other guy is not, then the guy sagging is at a disadvantage.

When I speak of running, I'm not just talking about from another person. I'm also speaking of emergency-type situations.
well no, only if he is fighting in a way that a lack gi makes a difference, which will be mostly so for TMA, tight pants will cut your kicking ability down considerably, if his strategy is based on upper body strength then tight pants or very loose pants are not a significant disadvantage

Latest Discussions