Is there a point to learning how to knife fight?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way really to have a good chance against anothe tool is to understand how that tools moves and what it does. That is why people that train with the knife would rather run away or get out of there as it will be really, really hard to come away unscathed if you are attacked with one. Also all the more reason to know how to utilize one and carry one just in case it might be needed. Besides your overall awareness and avoidance skills can serve you well in letting you know when some thing might happen and you can deploy early if needed.
icon6.gif

So like everyone else yes, yes and more yes.

Plus I utilize mine everyday to open boxes. I just moved so I spent a good six hours with mine yesterday! It is after all one of mans most important tools!
icon6.gif

OP
G

Gruenewald

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Plus I utilize mine everyday to open boxes. I just moved so I spent a good six hours with mine yesterday! It is after all one of mans most important tools!
icon6.gif
Yeah, I can agree with that. There must have been at least a dozen occasions this week alone where I said to myself "I wish I had a knife right now..." which is one of the reasons I proposed the question in the op.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
As God, Allah, Xinu, the Giant Turtle or who or whatever you think made us did not see fit to give us fangs and claws but did give us the brains to make and carry our own, I do.

Knife training is one of the most important things in my training time because not only do I better understand and use the weapon, it is training and teaching me about unarmed combat as well.

I like weapons and empty hand movements that reenforce each other, share the same muscle memory, I like training for one thing on the surface but also training a few other things not apparent at the time.

Knife strikes help your empty hand strikes ( and many of us practice arts where they are essentially the same.)

If your doing MA with SD being either 1,2 or 3 on your list of why you do MA then you should train knife and stick and learn about guns.

I was in the back yard, prracticing with my 22" blade Machette and my Kukri, doing patterns from Pekiti Tarsia and other stuff and my Son asked " Are you doing that in case you have to sword fight?"
No I'm doing this because it can help with any fight but it can also make me less likely to have to fight." " And it's fun, just like when we play Lightsaber battle or Roman Battle (with thses foam swords and sheilds we have.) it's alot of fun and you get a good sweat out of it."

So knife training can help you fend off your 8 year olds sweet Lightsaber technique (He even figured out some key movements from the films, I have a future Nick Gilard on my hands.) if nothing else.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hehe, yeah. I've got a (slightly older) friend who knows knife fighting, as well as some sparring skills passed down from his father, passed down from his father, etc. (combined with some real life experience, apparently). No idea what kind of skills they are but I do know that he knows enough to teach confidently. Also we're not training with live blades, so I'm not too worried about any accidents at this point in time.

Umm...would you be so kind as to give a bit more detail on the extent of the 'knife fighting' that you claim your friend has?

Obviously we'd only ever move on to live blades after we've gained a considerable amount of experience, and even then we'd do everything in our power to make it as safe as possible (to a point). Also rest assured that this experience would involve the coaching of a professional (and/or constant study of videos/books on the subject). I'm not one to take on dangerous endeavors without research, that's why I'm on this forum lol.

Actually, I'd hold off on that until you're sure that what you're learning isn't going to get you killed. As for the books, dvds and the like....please, dont bother. Get some real training, from a qualified teacher and stay away from the do it yourself books. You just said that you're not one to take on dangerous endeavors....well, it sounds like you're doing just that.

OP
G

Gruenewald

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Umm...would you be so kind as to give a bit more detail on the extent of the 'knife fighting' that you claim your friend has?
Heh, I'll get back to you on that.

Actually, I'd hold off on that until you're sure that what you're learning isn't going to get you killed. As for the books, dvds and the like....please, dont bother. Get some real training, from a qualified teacher and stay away from the do it yourself books. You just said that you're not one to take on dangerous endeavors....well, it sounds like you're doing just that.
With wooden sticks? =) I'm probably not going to train with live blades at all, after some discussions I've had. Still, some kind of maneuvering with a live blade so that I can actually accustom myself to its weight and balance would likely be helpful.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO, there are a couple of reasons to learn knife fighting.
1, it might come in handy someday.
2, it is fun to learn

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there a POINT to learning how to knife fight?

Yes. It goes in the other guy. ;)

Do it for real and hey...you might get lucky. You might not have to explain it to a judge. You may just have to explain it to a job interviewer that just googled your name...

Last edited:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, I'll get back to you on that.

I'll be waiting. :)

With wooden sticks? =) I'm probably not going to train with live blades at all, after some discussions I've had. Still, some kind of maneuvering with a live blade so that I can actually accustom myself to its weight and balance would likely be helpful.

Let me clarify. I was mainly talking about the live weapons stuff, however, even with the practice weapons, I'd still make sure that a) you're learning under a qualified teacher and b) that you're still learning something of quality. There is alot of garbage out there thats passed off as a good tech., but would get you killed in real life.

Out of curiosity, what is your martial arts background?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think like MJS and everyone else that it is really important to learn knife related skills from a qualified teacher. That is an essential element to anyones training!
icon6.gif

OP
G

Gruenewald

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think like MJS and everyone else that it is really important to learn knife related skills from a qualified teacher. That is an essential element to anyones training!
icon6.gif
You're all definitely right and I understand the dangers that may come of developing bad habits from inadequate teaching. I'm going to have a hell of a time finding an instructor in Atlantic Canada, though. That's why I was leaning towards pseudo-lessons from my friend (more practice than anything) combined with some kind of video course/book/etc.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're all definitely right and I understand the dangers that may come of developing bad habits from inadequate teaching. I'm going to have a hell of a time finding an instructor in Atlantic Canada, though. That's why I was leaning towards pseudo-lessons from my friend (more practice than anything) combined with some kind of video course/book/etc.

The problem with video/book work is that if your base is not sufficient then you miss all the fine details. Quite often those fine details are what is really important. Your best bet is to save money and travel and do some private lessons when you can. Then come home and work on the material and if you are fortunate your instructor will have books, dvds to help that process. Still in the end you need that living in your face instructor to correct your errors! This is the only way effective martial skills are passed on!
icon6.gif
(See, Feel, Do)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Not sure how far you are from any of these, but IMO, it'd be well worth the drive in order to get some real training.

http://www.modernarnis.net/member/school.shtml#canada
Brian is a member on this forum too.

http://www.wmarnis.com/schools_can.htm

http://sayoc.com/?page_id=1635

I posted these links, because they're all FMA schools, and IMO, thats the place to go if you want knife work.

OP
G

Gruenewald

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not sure how far you are from any of these, but IMO, it'd be well worth the drive in order to get some real training.

http://www.modernarnis.net/member/school.shtml#canada
Brian is a member on this forum too.

http://www.wmarnis.com/schools_can.htm

http://sayoc.com/?page_id=1635

I posted these links, because they're all FMA schools, and IMO, thats the place to go if you want knife work.
Well, Ontario is like a 20 hour drive away... Alberta and BC are literally across the country... >_>

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Ontario is like a 20 hour drive away... Alberta and BC are literally across the country... >_>

So, it sounds like theres nobody in your immediate area? If thats the case, then my next suggestion would be to set up some time where you can make the trip and take an intensive lesson. In other words, make a weekend trip out of it. Set up some classes, privates, etc., work on a few specific things, go back home and drill the hell out of them.

This, IMO, is much better than trying to figure out things from a book or dvd or from someone whos skills are not that good.

OP
G

Gruenewald

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, it sounds like theres nobody in your immediate area? If thats the case, then my next suggestion would be to set up some time where you can make the trip and take an intensive lesson. In other words, make a weekend trip out of it. Set up some classes, privates, etc., work on a few specific things, go back home and drill the hell out of them.

This, IMO, is much better than trying to figure out things from a book or dvd or from someone whos skills are not that good.
I'll make an attempt at that; my best bet would probably be to bring along at least a couple of friends to split the travel costs (either by plane or car if we can get enough people to take shifts at the wheel). In any case it's going to be a while before I'm able to organize something like this, possibly up to a year.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll make an attempt at that; my best bet would probably be to bring along at least a couple of friends to split the travel costs (either by plane or car if we can get enough people to take shifts at the wheel). In any case it's going to be a while before I'm able to organize something like this, possibly up to a year.

I agree...splitting the cost would be a help. :) I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait. That way, everyone benefits from some good training.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score

I am far from you but I am in a very touristy area (Wash DC area) so you could make a combined trip and I'd be galde to give you a good, basic set of techniques and principles and I wont charge big name $$$.
You can come to our regular class for free, I'll make it a knife class and then we can get in some private work.

PM me if it's something you would consider doing.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It might be cheaper to bring someone in. If you do it right.

For instance, find a knife style that you're interested in (everything from FMA, through WMA, even Piper) and see if you can get one of the "lesser known" instructors to come visit you for a Seminar. Maybe an assistant instructor or someone. If you can set up a Seminar in your area and guarantee a minimum number of students you might be able to get a whole lot of quality instruction and even some potential long term training partners. You could market to the local community and invite other martial arts schools. Knife work is always popular and many times instructors from other schools are interested in picking up some skills here and there outside of their specific curriculum or even "sampling" the martial buffet.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Shin71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Umm... mind elaborating? In what kind of a situation would knife skills be useful?

Anywhere; you can have a knife in places where a gun is prohibited. Having said that if you have a knife and no gun and you are accosted and you either cannot run/outrun the situation and it is a deadly force (they/he/she is armed with a melee type weapon) then having and being able to employ a blade is highly useful.

A knife, like a gun is a tool but only when used correctly and appropriately. The tool can be used to open cans, cut rope, or cause terminal shock in someone trying to prematurely cancel your contract with life but knowing how to use it is key.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes. Even if you only learn enough to see how it can move and do its damage.

You have too know how to use it before you can understand what is required to protect yourself against it. The better you know it. The more prepared your mind will be when you come against it.

Luke

Latest Discussions