Is the local Krav Maga school legit or a McDojo?

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings. So I've trained off and on in MMA over the years and always said if I was going to do anything other than MMA it would likely be Krav. I took a free class at a school last week and it was hitting pads and then doing a "gun to the back" defense.

I then came home and started googling KM and of course there's many different opinions on it's realism, effectiveness, etc. Many people also suggested it depends on the school. My thought has always been that if a school does some instruction against resisting opponents it has value compared to one that doesn't. The instructor assured me that he places value on sparring, as too many times he's seen students fall apart when real punches start coming their way. As such they have a few times a week where light sparring takes place.I realize you can't train groin strikes, etc. when sparring.

What I don't want is to be stuck at a place that simply waters down something good to cater to the masses of soccer moms that want a boost of confidence.

My gut tells me this place is legit based on several factors. One of them is that the instructor has a background in wrestling, kickboxing, etc. I also see many pics online of their upper level folks that appear to be resisting each other with headgear and gloves on. Is there anything more I can do to know this for sure before I commit?

Thanks!

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can you please describe the gun defense?
Hitting pads is legit training. It sounds above board to me so far :)

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You were at a class. Was it full of soccer moms? Was there anyone(student) who looked like they could handle themselves?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The big problem with Krav is it was marketed to martial arts school owners that they could become a Krav instructor in a weekend seminar and then teach it publicly. The question you have to ask is how long have they been training Krav Maga. Is it their main style or an add on and they regularly teach some thing else. Who did they get their Krav Maga credentials from and then you need to investigate that organization and make sure it has a good reputation. There is really, really good Krav Maga out there and then there is craptastic Krav. All depends. Do your research!

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you please describe the gun defense?
Hitting pads is legit training. It sounds above board to me so far :)

Gun pointed to small of the back, turn while pushing the gun guys forearm w my forearm, elbow to face, kick to nuts, etc.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
The big problem with Krav is it was marketed to martial arts school owners that they could become a Krav instructor in a weekend seminar and then teach it publicly. The question you have to ask is how long have they been training Krav Maga. Is it their main style or an add on and they regularly teach some thing else. Who did they get their Krav Maga credentials from and then you need to investigate that organization and make sure it has a good reputation. There is really, really good Krav Maga out there and then there is craptastic Krav. All depends. Do your research!

Creds obtained through Krav Maga Worldwide, which seems to be a pretty big place, but yeah it appears from my limited research that one doesn't really need to train in KM to get certified to teach it. :confused:

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gun pointed to small of the back, turn while pushing the gun guys forearm w my forearm, elbow to face, kick to nuts, etc.

By the sounds of it, it's a normal gross-motor gun deflection. I see no reason to think this is a McDojo, but if you have ANY reason to be suspicious, follow it up :)

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Creds obtained through Krav Maga Worldwide, which seems to be a pretty big place, but yeah it appears from my limited research that one doesn't really need to train in KM to get certified to teach it. :confused:

He's from Darren Levine's organization? I've read some of their material, it's pretty nice. There should be ground fighting in their beginners syllabus.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My gut tells me this place is legit based on several factors. One of them is that the instructor has a background in wrestling, kickboxing, etc. I also see many pics online of their upper level folks that appear to be resisting each other with headgear and gloves on. Is there anything more I can do to know this for sure before I commit?

Thanks!
Well now, this is an interesting comment. You feel the instruction in Krav Maga is legit because the instructor has a background in wresting and kickboxing...does that statement make much sense to you?

The instructor may be a capable martial artist, but a background in wresting and kickboxing doesn't make him capable in Krav Maga.

Perhaps more research into this instructors background in Krav Maga is needed, in order to asses the quality of Krav Maga instruction he is providing.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well now, this is an interesting comment. You feel the instruction in Krav Maga is legit because the instructor has a background in wresting and kickboxing...does that statement make much sense to you?

The instructor may be a capable martial artist, but a background in wresting and kickboxing doesn't make him capable in Krav Maga.

Perhaps more research into this instructors background in Krav Maga is needed, in order to asses the quality of Krav Maga instruction he is providing.

Yeah, it makes plenty of sense to me. It makes me think that he comes from a background of styles with resisting opponents, which I place a lot of value in. My hope would be that if it was total crap he'd modify it to be more realistic. However, you're correct in that I do need to do more research in the instructors actual KM background.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, it makes plenty of sense to me. It makes me think that he comes from a background of styles with resisting opponents, which I place a lot of value in. My hope would be that if it was total crap he'd modify it to be more realistic. However, you're correct in that I do need to do more research in the instructors actual KM background.
Another interesting comment. Your mileage may vary.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How would we know we haven't seen the class trust your own instincts

D

Deleted member 34973

How would we know we haven't seen the class trust your own instincts
The only legitimacy you should need, is if YOU think the instructor can teach what you are looking for. Legitamcy, is a very grey area in the martial arts.

Of course, that is just my personal opinion.

D

Deleted member 34973

Sorry Kickboxer, I didnt realized that I tagged you. That statement was directed at the OP

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Kickboxer, I didnt realized that I tagged you. That statement was directed at the OP
No worries we've all done it :) but I agree and to me the main thing is if you have fun. I mean when I chose my gym I didnt know if it was legit after the first class but I enjoyed it so I kept going. Some people may find a mcdojos training more fun than a legitimate school and if they're happier there then good for them. Yeah sure maybe the training won't be as great but to me if a guys enjoying what they do no matter the circumstances who are we to judge.

D

Deleted member 34973

No worries we've all done it :) but I agree and to me the main thing is if you have fun. I mean when I chose my gym I didnt know if it was legit after the first class but I enjoyed it so I kept going. Some people may find a mcdojos training more fun than a legitimate school and if they're happier there then good for them. Yeah sure maybe the training won't be as great but to me if a guys enjoying what they do no matter the circumstances who are we to judge.
Well said.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't look like you need much to become an instructor through them:

Instructor Program at Krav Maga Worldwide™ Official Training Center - Self Defense · Fighting · Fitness - Pompano Beach, Florida (South Florida) - A Koch Martial Arts & Fitness School

Show Your Training With Krav Maga Certification | Krav Maga Worldwide

However, I have not attended their program so it might be great I just don't know other than what I see here. So they may be great I just don't know!

Thanks for finding that. It looks like takes a combined total of 156 hours of testing (21 days at 8 hours a day). Real question here: What's it take to be able to teach in most martial arts? I've mostly trained in MMA, and I never gave it much thought as long as the instructors knew a lot more than me I was happy. That seems like a lot to me, but what's it take in Kenpo, Hapkido, etc?

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score

Good point. MMA has been more than fun for me!!!

Latest Discussions