Is teaching for free a bad idea?

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've yet to see a valid survey that shows a correlation between charging and committment. To me, charging is no different than offering rank...it's viewed as some kind of incentive to keep students. But it can't last, and sooner or later the student that doesn't committ is going to leave...but no one seems to have a problem with teaching someone for 3-5 years, or BB level, and then seeing them leave? I don't think there is some kind of magical number of months or years that has to occur before one has a 'committed' or dedicated student.

What is the problem with the idea of 'weeding out' students from the very beginning...instead of trying to keep the ones that may quit anyway?

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been on the receiving end of free lessons (for several years) and given free lessons trying to bring up a workout partner and to try and in some way duplicate what my instructor had (in providing us with free lessons and workout space). Likewise I also have charged next to nothing ($5.00 for lessons about 1 1/2-2 hours long) for private and semi private lessons. And I have charged higher rates as well. And I've taught for the YMCA and City Rec. centers as well as attended commercial schools over the years. So here is my .02 cents FWIW.

1) Having the student pay for lessons isn't shafting the student, nor will it make them committ to staying with you for years either. Although it is a GENERAL principle that if people have to work or pay for something they will see it as an investment and value it more. If people get something for free than often times they will not value it as highly as if they were paying for it. I speak from experience here with my free lessons. I didn't realize how good we had things untill I was out in the real world (after relocating) and looked for instruction.

2) The people who come and go will come and go if you offer them lessons for free or not. And since this is the case I wouldn't base my teaching prices on them. I wouldn't try and hold onto people who won't be there a year from now by not charging them. Instead I would charge and IF you have someone who is a committed student or someone who has financial needs not being met than you have the right to teach them for free or at a reduced rate. No one says you must charge everyone, you're the teacher it's your class.

3) In my instructor's dojo we were like family, he chose people who he invited to train over at his house. We came and worked out and it was great. But he didn't open it up to anyone, it was his choice and he offered lessons to people that he knew. Now being in the martial arts for many years and teaching and such he had a large group of contacts (previous students, other instructors etc. etc.) from which to draw from. This is key because he didn't have the hanger ons the wanna bees etc. etc. come to his workouts and drag things down.

And where I was lead to believe that everyone would want to workout like what I had with my instructor and to develop that same kind of family/workout group I offered low fees (free instruction to some) and tried to duplicate what we had it was a bitter disapointment to say the least. Well I should say I thought everyone would jump at the chance to have something like I had, but it was not to be.

I see nothing wrong with not charging for class, however I see nothing wrong with charging for class as well.

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now I'll list why I would charge for lessons

1) Undoubtbly you have spent money on your lessons in the past and I see nothing wrong with charging for you teaching what you have paid to learn.

2) If you are having a class than you are committing to a time and a place for the lessons, even if you aren't charging than you are supposed to be there. So if you set up classes on a Saturday and you are asked to work OT then to me you still show up and that is your committment to your students. Now you might show up and no one is there, if you aren't charging anything it is easy for your committment to your students to start to turn since they have cost you money (by you turning down the OT). However if you have charged than it is a simple business decesion, I must go because I have accepted money and am being compensated for my time (even if no one shows up).

I have turned down OT for the Saturday when I was suppposed to teach ($5.00 a lesson period) and not have people show up. I was out gas, time, and the OT money I could have made at work. Several $100.00's lost. I also turned down OT for a free private lesson with a friend who didn't show because he needed to get his hair trimed (he was also a long time martial artist).

3) Your time away from family and or work is vaulable. Again if you set up classes and the wife/girlfriend/son or daughter has something going on that you should or want to be at you need to make arrangements to have someone cover your class, cancel them, or blow off the family. It is hard to justify blowing off family with "well I've got to teach" when you not being compensated for it. Also it makes it easier for arguements to start about how you value your art more than your family etc. etc. BEEN HERE done that.

And looking back on it if the students aren't going to show or aren't going to stick around forever than why put them a head of your family?

4) If you are really teaching students and you are the only one there with a student guess who is the UKE? That's right BEEN HERE done that too. So bringing up the student teaching them to hit with sticks, apply locks etc. etc. your body is the one taking the punishment, again for what?

If you are being paid something than it might make up for your co-pays.

I love teaching, I love teaching the martial arts, I love teaching the FMAs. Nothing thrills me more than seeing a student all of the studen "get it" with a technique. I love the realization or the feeling that comes over you when something you have been doing for several years all the sudden is reaveled in a different light. What is even cooler is when you are working with a student and you see this. I don't want my post to sound like sour grapes and all but I also believe that we as martial artists sometimes live in a fantasty world and this false belief that it is wrong to charge for what we know and that we need to have some master/disciple relationship with our students and we'll get that if we charge nothing.

It definetly is not about just money though, it's much more.

Mark

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a close friend who has asked if I might teach him some kung fu and/or kenpo. I met him while I was training in capoeira, he was a classmate then. He has kept with capoeira for about 15 years, and has recently begun teaching. He also has a chodan in tae kwon do from when he was in high school, back in the early 1980s, and some aikido experience. He is definitely a dedicated martial artist, and has been a close friend for about 14 years or so.

I was given permission by my kenpo instructor, and my kung fu sifus to teach him, and possibly couple of other people who have expressed some interest. If I teach, especially the close friend and possibly his wife, I will definitely not charge him for it.

I am not opening a school. I have just enough room in my home for 3 or 4 students, if we're careful. I'm not trying to make a living off it, and I expect to have just about zero overhead. So I have the luxury of being very selective about who I would teach. I'll just teach people to whom I WANT to pass on the goods. Nobody else will even know that I am doing it. No advertising, not open for random people to stop in and "sign up".

at this stage in the game, I think the exercise of teaching will benefit my own understanding of my arts greatly. That's my payoff. And like I said, he's a friend. So I see no reason to charge.

Depends on your circumstances.

Latest Discussions