Is silat harder or easier to learn than wing chun?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes content matters. I'd absolutely take the time to respond to an inquiry like yours. To the kinda stuff Kehcorpz is going on about... meh.

As you are am instructor, and correct me if I am wrong, there is a difference between sounding like an informed person with a specific purpose and someone who, at least appears whether they really are or not, on a fishing expedition.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You don't even know what my email looked like!
I only asked a few questions and even separated them in 1,2,3,4... so that answering would be easier.
If they don't feel like they have to reply to such an email then I'm not going there. I think I'll also write
them another email telling them how displeased I am and that I've already crossed their facility from
my list.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I only asked a few questions and even separated them in 1,2,3,4... so that answering would be easier.
If they don't feel like they have to reply to such an email then I'm not going there. I think I'll also write
them another email telling them how displeased I am and that I've already crossed their facility from
my list.
Instead of emailing them, try showing up at their door. They will be happy to answer all your questions in person. Trust me.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
my list.

That is a problem though man. E-mails are easy to write in this day in age. Taking that into account stop and think. Most Martial Arts schools are not a full time affair. The person answering that email has a "day job", a family and THEN teaches Martial Arts in most cases. If you do not have a laser focus on why you want to learn martial arts first and then (perhaps) a diagnosed physical limitation you are unlikely to get a response. Not saying whether it is right or wrong but they do not want "1, 2, 3, 4", via email, if you want a response, you need to say "Hi I am bob, I want to learn martial arts for reason 1 is that your philosophy?" If you have physical limitations I would add that in, however the more questions you ask the more it sounds like a "form letter" and that reduces responses in almost any venue.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My email was friendly and I was just asking a few valid questions. I wrote that I want to learn some kind of SD but I'm not sure yet and
I asked if their stuff is practical and if they can comment on differences between their stuff and other stuff like wing chun,krav maga and so on.
I told them I got different advice from different people and that bc of this I'm uncertain what's best.

All normal questions. When they don't reply it simply means they suck and don't care about customers.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My email was friendly and I was just asking a few valid questions. I wrote that I want to learn some kind of SD but I'm not sure yet and
I asked if their stuff is practical and if they can comment on differences between their stuff and other stuff like wing chun,krav maga and so on.
I told them I got different advice from different people and that bc of this I'm uncertain what's best.

All normal questions. When they don't reply it simply means they suck and don't care about customers.
I bolded a portion of your post above. Bad question. Do you really think anyone is going to tell you their "stuff is not practical" and they are teaching crap even if they are?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is the error. First no teacher saying they teach a Martial (read war) Art is going to say it is impractical. Second. teachers I know HATE comparisons to an insane degree because they see the issue in bold as "tell me if you are better than and if you are why". Please note I am not saying that was your intent, only that the questions in bold will often be perceived that way.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

We know what your posts look like, and what your communication style is like. We could make a pretty good guess at your emails, frankly.

As mentioned, most martial art instructors (including myself) don't teach full time. To give you an idea of my schedule, I work in retail, so I work 5 days a week, including most weekends (one Sunday off a fortnight)… and, due to the commute, I leave the house at about 7:30am most days. Mondays I'm leading a study group in Kenjutsu, meaning I get home about 10:30pm… Tuesdays I'm teaching, home about 11:30pm… same every second Friday… I also work late every second Thursday night. Then, I have my own personal training time at home, structuring classes and preparing them, writing emails to students, checking for messages, and so on… before we even start to get to any social life or family commitments.

Now, imagine I get home, and there are three emails waiting for me… one asks where and when I teach, so they can come along to watch… another asks what we teach… and then there's an email asking a series of questions, each numbered and requiring a dedicated answer. How much energy do you think I have to put into answering that one in detail? I might send a brief answer, with the message of "come along to see a class", but it might also get put to the back of the pile…

If they don't feel like they have to reply to such an email then I'm not going there.

Wow, that's some sense of empathy you have there…

I think I'll also write them another email telling them how displeased I am and that I've already crossed their facility from
my list.

Kid, grow up. You've roundly ignored many messages, questions, and posts directed towards you here… maybe we should write you an email about how displeased we are that you didn't take the time to immediately respond to our questions and comments… and frankly, if that's your attitude, the school has dodged a bullet if you "cross them off your list". Honestly, if I got an email like the one you describe here, saying how displeased you are that I didn't take time out to spoon feed you answers, I'd be grateful you didn't turn up.

My email was friendly and I was just asking a few valid questions.

"Valid questions" from you might not be anywhere near as valid as you think they are. And as far as "friendly", again, you might not understand how you come across at times.

I wrote that I want to learn some kind of SD but I'm not sure yet

And what would that mean to them? A noncommittal question about an area you might want to focus on but you might not? What?

and I asked if their stuff is practical and if they can comment on differences between their stuff and other stuff like wing chun,krav maga and so on.

Besides the lack of interest in comparisons to other arts, you also have to realise that most martial artists, instructors and students alike, are aware and knowledgable (to a degree) about their own system… not necessarily about any others. It's a real rare breed that has a wider perspective, so asking an instructor how their system compares with one they've never studied or possibly even heard of is frustrating to them in the extreme.

You're uncertain because you have no frame of reference… the solution? Get to a damn school already and start!

All normal questions.

From your limited and completely inexperienced viewpoint. You may understand that we, having been involved in this for years, decades even, have a different view of the "normal questions" you present here and in your email.

When they don't reply it simply means they suck and don't care about customers.

Crap, son. It means that your email wasn't answered. It doesn't give you the reason, and it doesn't give you any reason to make any such comments about them.

Once again, if this is your attitude, grow the hell up. You're acting like a spoiled entitled brat.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You know many schools offer either free week trails. Or the teachers may allow you to observe from off the matts. I really think you need to go see some schools. Also for what ever M.A. you want - even the schools themselves - usually have videos of their practice.

I get a little W.C. and Silat in my marital art. Actually I get little of everything in my classes - its a blessing and a curse of my MA. I see them as very different - I find WC to be a bit static and technical but good for energy redirection. I find Silat to have a wider range of body motion and flow and its a challenging physically from that standpoint. Also Silat has alot more take downs than W.C. so you should be okay with hitting the mat.

I spent a long while "thinking about" taking an MA - took me over a year to decide I did want the right art and the right school.My goals were specific so it made it a bit easier to choose what I wanted. I was also very out of shape at the time - and I felt I wanted to get in basic shape first - so I did that (working out) and was ready for the physical demands of my school when I showed up. Lastly, taking a MA was an change in mindset for me that took a while to get used to. I got lucky and found the right school near me - but even then I waited 4-6 months to join.

Just because some school did not return an email - don't write them off. Find the one that fits your goals and has an environment that feels right. Also check the backgrounds of the owners and instructors .

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@crazydiamond --you are wasting your time. I do not believe that this "kehcorpz" individual will ever enroll in a program and begin training. I know physically and mentally disabled individuals, as well as little kids, and even elderly individuals in their 80s who train. But I will be very surprised if this guy ever comes back on this forum to say that he is actually enrolled in a school and working at learning martial arts! Time to let it go....

D

Dylan9d

@crazydiamond --you are wasting your time. I do not believe that this "kehcorpz" individual will ever enroll in a program and begin training. I know physically and mentally disabled individuals, as well as little kids, and even elderly individuals in their 80s who train. But I will be very surprised if this guy ever comes back on this forum to say that he is actually enrolled in a school and working at learning martial arts! Time to let it go....

Thats why I stopped posting except for this message :)

Latest Discussions