Is Muay Thai Effective for the 'Street'?

AriesKai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, my question is whether MT is truly 'street-effective'.

Now, if this is not the proper area for this thread; please let me know and I will post elsewhere with proper instructions on where to post.

I've earned my green tassel, although i'm still not quite sure MT is truly 'street-effective'.
My question is simply, "Is Muay Thai effective for street self defense" and "How so? What are the 'pro's and con's'?"

I feel that Muay Thai is more 'sport-oriented', due to the fact that I studied in a ring-setting more than anywhere. The stance in MT appears to be quite 'revealing' as you expose most of your mid-section and a very weak and crucial area in your arms (the soft area of the forearms).

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is Muay Thai street effective? Some people will say yes due to it's attributes of good conditioning, and powerful arsenal of strikes. Others will say no because it doesn't have eye strikes, joint manipulation, or any techniques specific against weapons. At least not that I'm aware of.
You're going to get mixed responses. Muay Thai may not have all the answers for every possible situation, but no single Martial Art does. Your best bet is to just go with your gut feeling.

OP
A

AriesKai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is Muay Thai street effective? Some people will say yes due to it's attributes of good conditioning, and powerful arsenal of strikes. Others will say no because it doesn't have eye strikes, joint manipulation, or any techniques specific against weapons. At least not that I'm aware of.
You're going to get mixed responses. Muay Thai may not have all the answers for every possible situation, but no single Martial Art does. Your best bet is to just go with your gut feeling.

Thanks for the reply! I agree with you.
I personally think that mixing the arsenal of MT strikes with eye strikes and gouges, trachea strikes and crushes/grips, joint manipulation, groin area strikes, testicle rips and other attacks such as whats in the arsenal of Kenpo, with good takedown and throw techniques like in Judo, with good stand-up defense against the types of attacks in MT, TKD, and boxing, a great ground-game (BJJ), with good offense and defensive skills in weapons is probably the best mix for me...
But how would someone study all of that without having to obtain a black belt in each? Cross train? That'd mean having to pay monthly rates in each style. I guess one would have to pick a few at a time and go from there..
That's a long time in investing a lot of time and money.

I do wish that I could find an instructor that had exactly what i'm looking for.

Skippy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think it is very effective for a street encounter as it's a straight up in your face system. I know a number of people that train in Muay Thai & they are all tough as nails. It's a very valid martial arts system.:mst:

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
The stance in MT appears to be quite 'revealing' as you expose most of your mid-section and a very weak and crucial area in your arms (the soft area of the forearms).

Im not an expert in MT but I dont think a revealing stance is always a bad thing. In WC we generally start in a neutral stance revealing the full body and even when we have guard up it is only the center line that is really covered or so its seems at least. This way the attacker will see areas to attack and go for it. Then we can make contact and go in. A stance that baits the attacker can be a posative thing.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on how you apply what you've learned to the circustances. The tools are there, but the question is can you make the transition from a sport state of mind to a self defense state of mind. Even if you struggle with that; however, you still have an advantage over someone who has no training.
-My $0.02 :)

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Depends on how you apply what you've learned to the circustances. The tools are there, but the question is can you make the transition from a sport state of mind to a self defense state of mind. Even if you struggle with that; however, you still have an advantage over someone who has no training.
-My $0.02 :)
exactly.

OP
A

AriesKai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Learn whatever style you can, the average street chud can't fight for crap.

I couldn't have said it any better.. Although, I'm trying to find the perfect all-around style, or mix of styles that supports real street encounters (against single opponent with/without weapon/gun, against multiple attackers where you do what you can to get the hell out of the situation).
Around where I live, everyone seems to be studying Muay Thai, Boxing and BJJ.
A lot of bullies do this so they can keep up with the ones they're trying to bully. Make sense?
I live around a lot of gang-bangers and wangsters. Even wangsters are becoming more and more dangerous as more things are becoming more available to them.

My intention is to find something that's going to help me defend my wife and children against these street-thugs. It's a reality...unfortunately.

Thank you for your input, though!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no such thing as an all around perfect style man. If their were, we would all be doing it. It's about finding a good instructor who can help you achieve your goals.

As for defending your family, get a gun. Really, you don't wanna tussle with people, you never know what they have on them, fighting as always is a last resort.

OP
A

AriesKai

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is no such thing as an all around perfect style man. If their were, we would all be doing it. It's about finding a good instructor who can help you achieve your goals.

As for defending your family, get a gun. Really, you don't wanna tussle with people, you never know what they have on them, fighting as always is a last resort.

lol I totally disagree.

I have a gun, quite a few actually from rifles, shotguns, and pistols of multiple calibers. I even have a few full-autos with stamps. I'm texan, who the hell in Texas doesn't have a gun? (unless you're underage)
So this is what you're saying...

"We're all together at an amusement park. There's not enough parking close to somewhere where immediate help can be offered. We have our fun at the amusement park, and it's time to leave. As we approach our vehicle, we're approached by 3 thugs looking for some quick and easy cash, or want to simply bully someone. They grab my child, slap my wife, attempt to tackle one of us to the ground. Any guns, knives, or any sharp objects that can be used as a weapon on amusement park properties in the state of Texas is against the law, period, so I don't have one ready. I have a choice: Let them kill my family in front of me, or do something in hopes that I can save ALL of our lives (at least theirs first)."

Carrying a gun everywhere you go is unrealistic and is psychotic, unless it's part of your job. I don't have a job that requires such things at the moment, although I am soon to become a LEO.

Another scenario:

"We're at Wal-Mart or Fry's. We're approached by 2 thugs, one with a knife. They're goal is to rob us and make some cash. There's a chance that they'll kill my family, and even myself. I have no weapon readily available. I have a choice. Kill, or be killed. No one is around to help, at least in time to save our lives."

I think you get what i'm saying......

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score

QFT

I would add, make sure you know what your state and local laws are regarding self defense. They are a matter of public record and ignorance never was an excuse for breaking the law in any court.

Latest Discussions