Is Goju Ryus reputation as street effective attributed to its close range emphasis?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to add I train Goju and just held a universal wide open championship competition about 5 min ago every style was invited I represented Earth in the competition and all the other planets were too afraid to send a challenger so I won. I am now a Champion of the Universe so Goju is the best in the universe. Case Closed.

Bows... we're not worthy.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just want to add I train Goju and just held a universal wide open championship competition about 5 min ago every style was invited I represented Earth in the competition and all the other planets were too afraid to send a challenger so I won. I am now a Champion of the Universe so Goju is the best in the universe. Case Closed.
James Carville in Old School:
We... have no response. That was perfect.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only because I had the stomach flu and couldn't make it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only because I had the stomach flu and couldn't make it.
Id give you a a chance to take the title but I have now decided to retire as the undefeated chapion of the universe from now to forever....

I will be going on a world tour soon and for $499 Ill train with you for 2 hours then you can claim to be one of my students on internet forums. For an additional $199 Ill take a photo with you and provide a certificate and add you to my database of students as proof to be used in all future internet disputes

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Id give you a a chance to take the title but I have now decided to retire as the undefeated chapion of the universe from now to forever....

I will be going on a world tour soon and for $499 Ill train with you for 2 hours then you can claim to be one of my students on internet forums. For an additional $199 Ill take a photo with you and provide a certificate and add you to my database of students as proof to be used in all future internet disputes

Do you accept PayPal?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Yeah...that is because due to its awesomeness... and attractiveness of its practitioners......Xuefu has been ban from all competitions in the universe since we WON then all 10 years in a row.... that and it has been deemed to deadly for the ring

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah...that is because due to its awesomeness... and attractiveness of its practitioners......Xuefu has been ban from all competitions in the universe since we WON then all 10 years in a row.... that and it has been deemed to deadly for the ring
We dont speak of such things it wasn't posted on YouTube so it didnt happen

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
My training in Goju was probably the most physical intense training I've ever done. Punching and kicking until you have a pool of sweat around you. Limb conditioning until your arms and legs are throbbing. Smart yet hard sparring then grappling afterwards. My Goju instructor is probably the toughest and most knowledgeable out of all my other instructors. I can't attest with the whole "Street Fighting" aspect, but I can tell you my Goju training was the most physically challenging thing I've done. I agree with one of the other posters, the training culture you are in plays a tremendous factor in your capabilities. In other words, you're not going to get the same results training with children than you would training with tough dedicated students. It's more about the environment opposed to the style or system itself.

Im training in Goju Ryu right now. My Shi-to Ryu training, which I've been doing for years before I started Goju Ryu, has usually been more intense, even at the beginner levels.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sparring is one type of fighting, self defence is another. It is in the area of self defence that Shotokan is in my opinion less effective than Goju Ryu.
Goju Ryu might work better in self defense for you and if that's the case and your goal is to be able to defend yourself than I would say go with the Goju Ryu. But that doesn't mean Goju Ryu would be more effective than Shotokan in terms of self defense for everybody. Somebody else might find that Shotokan works better than Goju Ryu in self defense for them. So they would be better off going with Shotokan if they want to be able to defend themselves. It varies from person to person. Everybody is different. There is no one style that works best for every single person whether the goal is to be able to win tournaments, defend yourself, ect.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Im training in Goju Ryu right now. My Shi-to Ryu training, which I've been doing for years before I started Goju Ryu, has usually been more intense, even at the beginner levels.

I've never studied Shi-to ryu. The point of my post was explaining to the OP my experience with Goju. Second, I made the point the training culture is important, not the system itself.

Latest Discussions