Is Monogamy Realistic?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Possibilities in polyamory?

"We found the expectation that one person should be our everything seemed unrealistic given our day and age. ... It's oddly pressuring to set up that scenario," said Mark, who lives in Springfield, Missouri, and is in a polyamorous relationship. (He asked that his last name not be used for privacy reasons.)

Mark, 42, has been married for five years. He and his wife tried different things to spice up their marriage, including swinging, or having casual sex with other people, he said. But they found the experience unfulfilling and decided what they really wanted was to be able to fall in love with others while staying together.

Mark dates another woman, and his wife, who declined to be interviewed for this article, is dating another man. The four of them frequently get together to have dinner or watch movies.

The ultimate goal is for everyone in the group to live together, Mark said.
Monogamy's payoffs

Whatever the temptation, most people still prefer to be in a monogamous relationship, said Nadine Kaslow, a professor at Emory University School of Medicine who specializes in couples and families and who also is chief psychologist at Grady Health System in Atlanta, Georgia.

"People feel safer and they feel more trusting. They feel like they can depend on their partner," Kaslow said. "I think that we can make choices in a different way than [other] mammals and think through the consequences of things."

Those consequences can be huge, in many ways. Nature has provided powerful incentives to stay faithful that are still valid.
Article.

It was interesting to read how people in other countries view monogamy. (Hey Xue, Finland was mentioned. ;))

Thoughts?

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's called 'commitment'. Whatever the boundaries of that contract are to the people involved.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Monogamy works for me. I have no opinion of how others choose to live their lives.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I barely have time to maintain the one relationship.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
What others do is their business.
Monogamy works for me. It's also the only practical and realistic way to live together in the long run, imo.

It is also a matter of responsibility and authority. In a polygamic relationship, whose kids are parented by whom? And what about legal power of attorney etc. The list of practical issues is enormous.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another comment - this one more 'practical' than moral or ethical. A polygamous relationship tends to be economically superior to a traditional relationship with one or (more often these days) two adult income-earners. In common with social structures such as a kibbutz, multiple adult wage-earners for a single familial structure tends to concentrate wealth in a powerful way.

Nothing to do with the right or wrong of it, but from a pure economic standpoint, polygamy with multiple spouses earning wages is dynamite.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Another comment - this one more 'practical' than moral or ethical. A polygamous relationship tends to be economically superior to a traditional relationship with one or (more often these days) two adult income-earners. In common with social structures such as a kibbutz, multiple adult wage-earners for a single familial structure tends to concentrate wealth in a powerful way.

Nothing to do with the right or wrong of it, but from a pure economic standpoint, polygamy with multiple spouses earning wages is dynamite.

Bill, traditional kibbutzim were not polygamous. they were communal. Residents shared resources and the duty to raise the community's kids, but couple were monogamous.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, traditional kibbutzim were not polygamous. they were communal. Residents shared resources and the duty to raise the community's kids, but couple were monogamous.

Right, that's my point. By sharing economic resources as one familial unit, they maximized their income. Nothing about love/sex/marriage, just about pooling of efforts of wage-earners. Communes, kibbutzes, other types of communities that concentrate income by communal living / sharing arrangements all have a superior economic model for that group than traditional marriages, which are hampered by having a maximum of two adult wage-earners in most cases.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As per the first quote--No one person can be your everything, I agree with that much. God is supposed to fulfill that role in life. Your spouse is your mate, but not your everything; thinking that a single human being can fulfill your every emotional need will doom any relationship.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That sure is true, but the biggest problem this causes is that it reduces consumption. Our economy is based on consumption. If polyamoric relationships were "accepted" on a greater level, families would need a whole lot less stuff because so much would be shared.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Article.

It was interesting to read how people in other countries view monogamy. (Hey Xue, Finland was mentioned. ;))

Thoughts?

Reading that article with that guy Mark, I almost get a cult like impression. I say that, because many of these cult leaders have multiple wives and multiple kids. I'm not saying this guy in the article is a cult leader or member, but it sounds like he wants his cake and to be able to eat it as well.

Will it work? Who knows. IMO, in order for it to work, both parties have to be willing participants. If one person is not interested in sharing his/her mate with someone else, then chances are, that person will leave the relationship.

Will your significant other fulfill every need? Maybe, maybe not, but you can either deal with it and accept what you have, or do what Mark is doing...again, providing that all participants are on the same page.

BTW, my Grandparents have been married for 60yrs. Obviously something is holding their marriage together. :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, each to their own. I married late (at 33) found the right person and we've been together over 20 years now. It's probably about the only thing I got right in this life!

What bothers me, however is the huge number of young people who reject the idea of commitment and raise kids out of wedlock. By rejecting commitment, they are setting down a road to raising kids without a complete family unit and that's really tough emotionally, socially and economically.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, each to their own. I married late (at 33) found the right person and we've been together over 20 years now. It's probably about the only thing I got right in this life!

What bothers me, however is the huge number of young people who reject the idea of commitment and raise kids out of wedlock. By rejecting commitment, they are setting down a road to raising kids without a complete family unit and that's really tough emotionally, socially and economically.

Yep. Better to be committed to more than one person (and I have no problem with polyamory, btw; it wouldn't work for me, but TEHO) and have a group rearing a child than just one person. I'm not saying a single person can't do a good job of child-rearing, but as a parent, I can state without reservation that it's damned hard to do a good job with 2 parents. It's got to be a nightmare with just one.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Will your significant other fulfill every need? Maybe, maybe not, but you can either deal with it and accept what you have, or do what Mark is doing...again, providing that all participants are on the same page.

BTW, my Grandparents have been married for 60yrs. Obviously something is holding their marriage together. :)

+1.

Marriage is a verb. And partners aren't perfect. I'm not, and neither is my wife. We decided we can live with each other imperfections.

Also -and this is important- the part in which you say 'I do' also mentions something about good times AND bad.

Reactions: MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
+1.

Marriage is a verb. And partners aren't perfect. I'm not, and neither is my wife. We decided we can live with each other imperfections.

Also -and this is important- the part in which you say 'I do' also mentions something about good times AND bad.

Good post! :)

13yrs for my wife and I. :) The ups and downs are part of life. We deal with them, and move on.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
7 years and counting.

The last 2 or 3 years have been complicated because of the newborns and prengancies of my wife. In those years, circumstances made us develop some bad habits. It was difficult and it took effort of the both of us to shake them off. Not difficult as in hard to do, but difficult as in 'how do I do this?'. We got out of it and are now stronger than ever.

Long term relationships are rewarding, but they take work. Now imagine if you complicate this further by adding more partners. The chances of finding long term compatible partners decreases exponentially if the number of partners grows. Add kids and legal issues in the mix, and the end result is a disaster waiting to happen. If it doesn't, it is either because all partners are compatible, or there is one dominant partner that the others defer to (like in a cult).

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm monogamous, but I have friends who are a married couple who have an open marriage. It's interesting, because they are closer than any couple I know and spend pretty much every moment together (they work from home). Works for some.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
32 years next month. I can see the appeal of a polyamorous relationship, but it isn't fo me. If it works for some people, more power to them.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:applause: Well done sir. 32 years is a sure sign you're both doing something right.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu

Or do the RIGHT thing and refuse relationships AND have no children. Been that way all my life and I can honestly say, though I MUST be in the minority, that while I have nothing against those of my friends who married or chose to have offspring, that I am so very unspeakably glad I did neither. More and more the way society is turning out these days, the gladder and gladder I get.

Latest Discussions