Is it really the person not the style?

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if its the person not the style, then what's the point of MA? I mean I'm a great fan of MA, but does this mean a person who doesn't train MA but creates their own style could be just as effective as if they did MA training? If not then is it actually that some styles could be more effective? If so, then why do people learn martial arts if they could do just as well with their own method?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if its the person not the style, then what's the point of MA? I mean I'm a great fan of MA, but does this mean a person who doesn't train MA but creates their own style could be just as effective as if they did MA training? If not then is it actually that some styles could be more effective? If so, then why do people learn martial arts if they could do just as well with their own method?
The style plays a big role, but the person makes it work, because the style isn't fighting, you are. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your style does not have: Conditioning; pain tolerance; sprit; fitness; ego; attitude; crazy; determination; skills; balance; posture; evil smile.... need I go on? :)

OP
Q

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The style plays a big role, but the person makes it work, because the style isn't fighting, you are. :)
Then would certain styles be more practical than others? Say for example would krav maga be more practical than tae kwon do in a self defence situation?

OP
Q

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but a good TKD could clobber a bad Krav Maga guy.
Good point. But those of similar skill could have a different outcome. I mean yes TKD is a very powerful art but in my mind it seems to be a little impractical. But then again it could be mastered. Then again again any art could be mastered... But could one create ones art and make it work. E.g combination of boxing + grappling, combination of karate + tkd, jujitsu + tai chi, or an own system?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then would certain styles be more practical than others? Say for example would krav maga be more practical than tae kwon do in a self defence situation?

Basically yes. And tkd will produce better kickers than wrestling. So the style does matter. And some styles will create better on average success in self defence than others.

OP
Q

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Basically yes. And tkd will produce better kickers than wrestling. So the style does matter. And some styles will create better on average success in self defence than others.
In YOUR opinion, what's the most effective style?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's probably some of both. Some people are better suited for one thing, while others are better suited for something else. Probably depends on a lot of factors.

Maybe even on their personality?

OP
Q

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just saying this post is purely opinion based for individuals:)
As in what works best for you:)

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing you find mentioned on here quite a lot is that it is really is the way you train. I have really limited experience being pretty much a noob but I do know that in "MY" TKD school even though we spar, we spar with WTF tournament rules which neglects handiwork. We do learn self defense moves but again not in the way that trains it realistically (IMNSHO). That is not a fault of the art but the way it is trained for liability, commercial viability, insert whatever kind of reasonable reason from a school's perspective in here. Having said that I find myself really attracted to some of the CMAs like Tai chi, bagua etc. I think they could complement what we do in TKD nicely….now if i could only get around the time and money issues……..

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Because martial arts that have survived to this day, or gained prominence must presumably have a degree of effectiveness, either for physical culture and fitness or combat and self-defense, whichever you're after.

If such a hypothetical person would be able to produce his own style/system despite having no background in MA, then good on him and if it works, we ought to share and promulgate it. It is wise to note however, that there is a good share of either esotericism or "fight science" that goes into a solid martial art: a theory that weaves and binds it all together as a system. I honestly don't think it's possible to create your own MA completely from scratch, in the sense that you're utterly original. Most schools and styles borrow from other schools, blending, distilling and refining their own techniques, combinations and philosophies on combat and physical culture.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but a good TKD could clobber a bad Krav Maga guy.
Good points, but on average how does your average krav guy do against your average tkd guy?

This is my point with the individual vs style argument. The style does matter, all styles have good and bad but you must look at the average guy and his ability to apply technique against a resisting opponent.

In YOUR opinion, what's the most effective style?
Judo!

But to elaborate there may not be one. A start is a solid competitive system. Even better would be a foundation in a competitive grappling system, a competitive striking system, then round it out with a more self defense focused system like Arnis, krav, whatever. The training in a competitive system will ensure you can handle a resisting and aggressive opponent. The focus on self defense will keep you honest in the deadly streetz! The same could be done with a non competitive traditional martial art.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldnt necessarily say that some styles are more effective. Remember, Traditional TKD or what became later TKD, was used on the battlefield in Korea when Japan invaded. But now there are many more sport schools. They don't claim to be anything else usually, thats a picture painted by the less informed. But theres still Traditional TKD guys who are doing a lot of full contact SD work. But still, many people who only see sport TKD will assume its useless.

Styles came to existence because of different needs, methodologies, situations, body styles, purpose, and many other reasons. Theres never really been one central most effective style or system in hundreds of years. In terms of SD or even sport, multiple styles gives you more options in finding what works best for your personally.

Even then, many martial arts are combinations of or piggybacked into creation off of other martial arts. Essentially, ever cross training martial artist develops their own method.

In the earliest days of UFC and Kickboxing, There wasnt one dominant striking style. BJJ did far better back then because nobody knew what it was. Now people are familiar and know how to defend against the common BJJ moves you see and its even.

The focus of your school makes a difference moreso than a style, but the ability to apply whatever knowledge and skills youve learned falls on you.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your style doesn't emphasize on "choke", "flying knee", "single leg", or ..., will that prevent you from putting those tools into your toolbox? Where will you be able to obtain those tools? You may have to look outside of your style. Since you will be responsibility to bring those useful tools into your own toolbox, it's the person (yourself) that's important and not the style.

Latest Discussions