Is it disrespectful to ask your (ITF) master to teach you the old way of TKD punching (Karate)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Axiom, post: 1862166, member: . That's not even mentioning sparring where of course sine wave is nowhere to be found.[/QUOTE]
Depends how you spar. If you flex your knees while using your hands that is SW. It is certainly less stylized than in patterns but so is punching.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would ask your instructor. If he says no, I would take Karate and learn the intricacies of their punches that you seek, and then use them in combination with the Taekwondo stances. I don't see any reason you can't learn multiple disciplines and combine them into what you want to do.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no clue what "Sine Motion" is.

Can someone break down the differences and what was changed for me?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no clue what "Sine Motion" is.

Can someone break down the differences and what was changed for me?
I will try to give a brief description. In many karate systems if you are doing sitting / horse stance punches your knees do not flex and your head remains level. Similarly when Karateka step their head tends to remain level. Prior to his 1980 Text General Choi used the term "Knee Spring" to describe flexing the knees when you performed hand techniques.
In the 1980 15 Volume encyclopedia he used the term "Sine Wave" as a metaphor to describe how the head would move up and down in a smooth fashion describing a curved line if you were moving forward or backward and used the metaphor "Flat Wave" for no up and down as was noted for some Karate systems and "Saw tooth" wave as being a sharp angular up and down motion.
In the early days although he verbalized "Up / Down" to denote what he wanted there was a slight initial relaxation / down before he began the "Up" portion. (My experience with him in 1990) A simple comparison would be to have someone stand up with knees somewhat relaxed and ask them to jump up. They would most likely have a slight downward motion before they went up.
When I next took a course with him in 1994 he would often verbalize it or explain it as down / up / down.
There was recently a comparison someone did with recent ITF pattern performance versus the "Legacy" series of Video GCHH prodiced which note dho the sine wave motion seems to have become more exaggerated.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I see. In Northern Shaolin Kung Fu we emphasize keeping the head level when punching and stepping. Thanks for the information.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see. In Northern Shaolin Kung Fu we emphasize keeping the head level when punching and stepping. Thanks for the information.
As do we in Nihon Goshin Aikido. I need to get together with my brother and have him teach me this "sine wave" approach (he holds rank in TKD), to see what I can glean from it.

Latest Discussions