is it a good idea ?

W

webpage20022003

if one has to pay 50 dollar for an hour to train with one of TOP masters in Kenpo, will you do it ? I'm talking about a private lesson 1 and 1

i have been looking for many instructors. 3 degree black belt 50 bucks

5 degree blacbelt 50 bucks

TOP master 50 bucks.

what do you think ? i want to hear your opinion.

thank you very much

If you can get a lesson with the top instructor in your system, and money isn't an issue because "lesser" instructors cost the same, why not train with the top guy?

Originally posted by webpage20022003
if one has to pay 50 dollar for an hour to train with one of TOP masters in Kenpo, will you do it ? I'm talking about a private lesson 1 and 1

My instructor has ninth degree, he charges $35 for a private, and no, I don't take any privates with him. I did for a year at 1st kyu though.

I'm fortunate that my classmates are 3-4th dans with many years of experience, and we meet outside of group class to work our material some.

Now, having said that, I think you should go to whatever lengths you can to get good instruction- as long as you can afford it. If money is a problem (it is for me at the moment) my experience is that a good instructor will make a deal with you so you can continue your study- as long as you have put in the time and shown you are serious about learning.

$50/hour is pretty standard, from what I've seen. If you're a beginner, you'll probably learn just as much from a first-degree black as you will from a ninth-degree black: they're all going to be teaching you the same thing, the basics. So for a beginner, I don't think the rank of the instructor is nearly as important as what he/she knows (e.g., which kenpo branch they're in) and how well he/she communicates. For an advanced student, I think the rank of the instructor makes more difference.

Rich

Originally posted by webpage20022003
what do you think ? i want to hear your opinion.

I think whatever you pay for private instruction is your own business and betwen you and your instructor.
:D

In my humble opinion, if you get something out of it, you're learning and getting better then it is worth it for private lessons.My instructor is $25 per half hour. To me, that is worth it for the one on one instruction. I don't want to just pass the test and get the belt. I want to be good, really good at this.

the only reason why i want to have a private lesson is i hopefully can practice the right way. Do everything right and EFFECTIVE.

there is no mistake in real world confrontation. You either walk away alive or go to hospital.

the world is very violent nowsday

thank you very much for your message.

I make my own decision already. Appreciate that you

I am lucky enough to be in a school that has small classes so the instructor is able to give each of us a good deal of attention in class. He also does one on one tutorial classes for half an hour before regular class if he sees that one of the students is really struggling with something. There is no charge for these tutorial sessions. A private lesson is 25.00, I would only do these right before a grading that I was really uncomfortable with. My next is my brown 1 and I feel fairly confident at this point. If I could get a class with one of the top masters in kenpo for 50.00 or so I would gladly do that but only with my instructors blessing.

I think whatever you pay for private instruction is your own business and betwen you and your instructor.

My entire family studies (with the exception of the 2yr old) and what we pay for a family rate is definetly in the "own business" catagory.:D

respectfully,
theletch1:asian:

you'll never know if you don't take the private.

besides....50 bucks isn't that bad. sure, there are insturctors who would charge less, but there's plenty of instructors that would charge a lot more than that.

and another great thing about a private lesson. you don't have pay for one again if you don't want to.

i heard some grandmaster charge more than 1000 to study with them. This is a crazy idea.

let me put it this way. If Professor Chow and Ed Parker Sr charge any instructor 1000 dollar to study with them, we don't have many grandmaster nowsday.

The idea of charging too much is very much stupid and immoral

Several years ago, I went to work with Master Al Tracy. I stayed at his Headquarters 3 days for free, got picked up at the airport, taken back. Got 3 days of intense trainning, all at the cost of $300.

Not bad, when you consider what other things he did for me.:asian:

Back