Is ball of the foot roundhouse outdated with modern shoes?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
This particular fault is due to poor systematization in the ITF, not inability of the practitioner.
Above in response to " So you have discovered that even at world championships some people are not technically accurate?"

The ITF conducts IICs particularly to alleviate the issue. Now if students and / or their instructors choose not to attend that is not the fault of the organization. History has shown that system works. Of course part of that historic proof long predates your existence..

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
To refresh the issue the above is a response to the following:

According to who?

So, your conclusion is based on your wealth of experience. At the end of the day we may be quibbling about what constitutes "Fully extended" Less than a 5 degree bend or something else. Not really important.

Yeah maybe. If you feel it's bent, it's too much IMO

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Above in response to " So you have discovered that even at world championships some people are not technically accurate?"

The ITF conducts IICs particularly to alleviate the issue. Now if students and / or their instructors choose not to attend that is not the fault of the organization. History has shown that system works. Of course part of that historic proof long predates your existence...

Yes, no confusion at all.. This world champion consuders turning kick and reverse hook synonymous.

How to / Tutorial: Reverse Turning Kick AKA Spinning Hook Kick. 반대돌려차기. 後ろ回し蹴り.​

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just face it Earl. The ITF is a disjointed mess. They can barely agree on anything

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just face it Earl. The ITF is a disjointed mess. They can barely agree on anything
Sir, having not been a member of any ITF for 11 years I am not really in touch with what is going on. I also have no idea if you are referring to one or all organizations using the ITF moniker. Suffice it to say, aside from you I am not aware of any disagreement vis a vis reverse turning and reverse hook kick. As far as the video above, it is clear Mr. Van Roon is not even attempting to use technical terms since there is no such term as "Spinning Hook Kick" in the Chang Hon system. . Also, I have no idea who created the video title but I suspect it was not him since I have never seen him use Hangul. Further - You need to watch at 8:30 where he references "Reverse Turning" as ITF Terminology, and the Spinning Hook as WTF terminology.

Last edited:
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sir, having not been a member of any ITF for 11 years I am not really in touch with what is going on. I also have no idea if you are referring to one or all organizations using the ITF moniker. Suffice it to say, aside from you I am not aware of any disagreement vis a vis reverse turning and reverse hook kick. As far as the video above, it is clear Mr. Van Roon is not even attempting to use technical terms since there is no such term as "Spinning Hook Kick" in the Chang Hon system. . Also, I have no idea who created the video title but I suspect it was not him since I have never seen him use Hangul. Further - You need to watch at 8:30 where he references "Reverse Turning" as ITF Terminology, and the Spinning Hook as WTF terminology.

Reverse turning kick according to yourself is improper terminology for reverse hook since RK denotes non chambered heel kicks and should be made distinct from reverse/spin hook kicks. Roon demonstrated reverse hook kicks, not reverse turning kick.

Last edited:
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a quick point. I meant write reverse turning kick
Yes, no confusion at all.. This world champion consuders turning kick and reverse hook synonymous.

How to / Tutorial: Reverse Turning Kick AKA Spinning Hook Kick. 반대돌려차기. 後ろ回し蹴り.​

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sir, please explain what this has to do with your incorrect statement at post 254 "The hook version is also called reverse turning kick in the encyclopedia"

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sir, please explain what this has to do with your incorrect statement at post 254 "The hook version is also called reverse turning kick in the encyclopedia"

"This is a variation of the reverse turning kick". That's what it says.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
First thing he says. "Reverse turning kick or spinning hook kick" .
Winner winner chicken dinner - You get the prize for taking something out of context in an attempt to support your erroneous contention. particularly since he explains further at 8:30

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Winner winner chicken dinner - You get the prize for taking something out of context in an attempt to support your erroneous contention. particularly since he explains further at 8:30

I did not take it out of context. At 8:30 He erroneously states that a flying reverse hook kick is called a flying reverse turning kick in ITF. Just like he does the rest of the clip about the grounded versions.

Last edited:
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
The reason Roon is guilty of performing a reverse hook and claiming that it's called a reverse turning kick in ITF is most likely because he is one of those competitors who incorrectly chamber their reverse turning kicks, read the rubbish encyclopedia, and thus don't know that the reverse turning kick and the reverse hook kick are completely different techniques. One being chambered and rechambered, the other not.

If that's not a disjointed mess, I don't know what is.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did not take it out of context. At 8:30 He erroneously states that a flying reverse hook kick is called a flying reverse turning kick in ITF. Just like he does the rest of the clip about the grounded versions.
Sir, you then have a comprehension problem. He explores various terms not only from ITF and WT but also from Karate. It is clear he is not making any attempt at using specific technical language to name the technique. He explicitly elaborates at 8:30 and your comment about him being confused is insulting to say the least. Once again - you should simply admit your error, the encyclopedia does not have 2 different types of reverse turning kicks, and if you want to claim saying A is variation on B, so they are 2 different types of the same thing shows a language comprehension problem. . At this point I will leave it to others to determine whether they think your claims are accurate or not.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The reason Roon is guilty of performing a reverse hook and claiming that it's called a reverse turning kick in ITF is most likely because he is one of those competitors who incorrectly chamber their reverse turning kicks,

If that's not a disjointed mess, I don't know what is.
Sir, no - the reason is because h is using terms generically, is because he is addressing a general audience and using the kick generically for sparring as opposed to following any technical parameters.

If you don't know what a disjointed mess is ............. I will let others finish the sentence.

Latest Discussions