Is anyone out there STILL a Republican?

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This week, amid claims of 'foul play' in the dismissal of eight United States Attorney's, the White House attempted to use Ms. Miers as their scapegoat and fall-person.
The Clinton Admin removed all 93 US Attorneys...

The attorneys serve at the pleasure of the pres.

PS - I'm still a Republican and I think it's time for Americans to get comMITTed.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

PS - I'm still a Republican and I think it's time for Americans to get comMITTed.

Clinton removed 93 US Attorneys at the beginning of his term. President Bush, removed 91 US Attorneys at the beginning of his term. It is historically accurate that Presidents will name new US Attorneys at the beginning of their terms. Many US Attorneys resign as the appointing Presidents term in office is coming to a close. It has also been shown, historically, that rarely do US Attorneys get replaced in the middle of a President's term.

What is different about these US Attorneys, is their activities prior to their resignation. During the Bush Adminstration, US Attorneys were investigating Democrats 81% of the time, and Republicans 19% of the time.

One was removed to be replaced with Karl Rove's buddy.
One put Duke Cunningham on trial and received a conviction.
One would not bring indictments against Democratic candidates before the 2006 election, despite phone calls (pressure) from a US Senator and US Representative.
One wouldn't give a satisfactory answer about looking into Washington State Voter fraud charges - where a Democratic Candidate won a close election.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/usa-timeline.php

And, let us not forget the admendment placed into the Patriot Act by Senator Spector's aide, without Senator Spector's knowledge, that allows the President to appoint an replacement US Attorney without the Advice and Consent of the Senate.

As for Mitt Romney .... gee, the guy has lived in Massachusetts for the past two decades ... and on the campaign trail he uses it as the butt of his jokes. Oh, the irony. Republicans rooting for a Massachusetts Liberal Flip-Flopper for their Presidential candidate.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score

this is true. and had the bush admin done the same, they'd have saved themselves this pending trouble. they could have pointed to clinton and been done with it.

since in this instance the focus was on a few particular guys, some involved in cases dealing with investigations of dems that weren't moving fast enough for some republican congressmen-- they of all people get canned and begins to look like a message is being sent about rightwing agendas controlling the judicial branch.

hence the uproar.

it's ok to still be a republican-- cheney, bush and rove don't represent every republican's viewpoint, especially true fiscal conservatives who have long given up on this inept administration.

i'm pro Awnold (social liberal, fiscal conservative--most of the time). his crazy half right half liberal ways has made some progress for the nation-state known as California-- no, i wouldn't want him for Prez but heck, a little pragmatic governing that listens to all sides wouldn't hurt.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Clinton removed 93 US Attorneys at the beginning of his term. President Bush, removed 91 US Attorneys at the beginning of his term. It is historically accurate that Presidents will name new US Attorneys at the beginning of their terms. Many US Attorneys resign as the appointing Presidents term in office is coming to a close. It has also been shown, historically, that rarely do US Attorneys get replaced in the middle of a President's term.

What is different about these US Attorneys, is their activities prior to their resignation. During the Bush Adminstration, US Attorneys were investigating Democrats 81% of the time, and Republicans 19% of the time.

One was removed to be replaced with Karl Rove's buddy.
One put Duke Cunningham on trial and received a conviction.
One would not bring indictments against Democratic candidates before the 2006 election, despite phone calls (pressure) from a US Senator and US Representative.
One wouldn't give a satisfactory answer about looking into Washington State Voter fraud charges - where a Democratic Candidate won a close election.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/usa-timeline.php

And, let us not forget the admendment placed into the Patriot Act by Senator Spector's aide, without Senator Spector's knowledge, that allows the President to appoint an replacement US Attorney without the Advice and Consent of the Senate.

As for Mitt Romney .... gee, the guy has lived in Massachusetts for the past two decades ... and on the campaign trail he uses it as the butt of his jokes. Oh, the irony. Republicans rooting for a Massachusetts Liberal Flip-Flopper for their Presidential candidate.
Gee, Dad. Thanks, I'm glad we had this talk.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Ray, maybe this will be interesting to you ...

or maybe you'll just continue to make personal attacks.

http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pr/2001/March/107ag.htm

MONDAY, MARCH 14, 2001
(202) 514-2007

WWW.USDOJ.GOV
TDD (202) 514-1888

WHITE HOUSE AND JUSTICE DEPARTMENT BEGIN U.S. ATTORNEY TRANSITION

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Continuing the practice of new administrations, President Bush and the Department of Justice have begun the transition process for most of the 93 United States Attorneys.
Attorney General Ashcroft said, "We are committed to making this an orderly transition to ensure effective, professional law enforcement that reflects the President 's priorities."
In January of this year, nearly all presidential appointees from the previous administration offered their resignations. Two Justice Department exceptions were the United States Attorneys and United States Marshals.
Prior to the beginning of this transition process, nearly one-third of the United States Attorneys had already submitted their resignations. The White House and the Department of Justice have begun to schedule transition dates for most of the remaining United States Attorneys to occur prior to June of this year. President Bush will make announcements regarding his nominations to the Senate of new United States Attorneys as that information becomes available. Pending confirmation of the President's nominees, the Attorney General will make appointments of Interim United States Attorneys for a period of 120 days (28USC546). Upon the expiration of that appointment, the authority rests with the United States District Court (28USC546(d)).

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Ray, maybe this will be interesting to you ...

or maybe you'll just continue to make personal attacks.
Honestly, no, I didn't find it interesting. Bottom line: the attorneys serve at the pleasure of the pres. If the pres wanted them replaced, then that's fine. Now, if someone acted without authority or permission, that would be a different matter.

I hope you will forgive me for what you thought was a personal attack. I was just trying to make a funny. Please accept my apology.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This article is interesting.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...23mar23,0,195804.story?coll=la-home-headlines

15 Months ago, when I started this thread; it seemed to me that the rank and file Republicans honestly should have been having a problem with some of the positions of the party of their political affiliation.

I listed some of the items that looked to be uncomfortable for those who are in the 'mushy middle'. Recognizing, of course, that I am not one of those. But, I certainly know that the politcal spectrum of our country is a bell curve - with the vast majority in the middle.

Well, the survey says, that between the 2001 and 2006, there has been a large scale abandonment of people who self-identify as members of the Republican Party. Along with this, there has been a corresponding increase in the self-identification of Democratic Party affiliation.

I was commenting to my wife a couple of days ago about how those Presidential favorability polls have vanished over the last three months. Throughout last summer, President Bush's numbers were tanking, but always the hint of he was going to come back. By late fall, the President was in the mid-30's by even the most favorable polls, and none of the normal press activities seemed to have an impact on those numbers. And now the polls have mostly vanished from media reporting.

Personally, I think this is a self-inflicted wound, perpetrated by Karl Rove. I also believe it weakens the country. I think two strong principled parties are a good thing for 'We the People'.

But, when we handed the keys to power to people who do not believe that government is good for anything; they abused that power to reward their friends. It appears to me that the Republican Party moved from a party that believed in limited government to a party that does not believe in any government; only power.

And, unfortunately, it is not over. The President is unwilling to hear what the voters said in the 2006 elections. He is digging his heels in and barracading himself and his aides to ride out the storm of the last two years.

Attachments

• $28569551.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 153

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the number of people leaning towards one of the two major parties remains fairly consistent at around 85%. As long as that number remains the pretty much the same, I don't expect to see any significant or meaningful changes in the way our government operates. We'll just keep going through the back and forth cycle as, through excesses and abuse of power, the major parties motivate the people to vote themselves out.

Another turnover in 12 years? I've heard one staunch Democrat give it only 10. I was thinking as many as 16.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for asking, I'm a republican. I once was a democrat, but I grew up.

Hey! that's my quote. I voted for Clinton,*$$@&*%...then I became Republican in '93. I didn't take long to see the light. I'm so much happier than I was. I started to really enjoy life once I made the change.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This article is interesting.

Well, the survey says, that between the 2001 and 2006, there has been a large scale abandonment of people who self-identify as members of the Republican Party. Along with this, there has been a corresponding increase in the self-identification of Democratic Party affiliation.

I still identify myself now as I did in 2001...as an independent conservative, officially I am registered as an Independent in Texas. I share viewpoints that are on both the left and the right. I see that both parties are essentially the same and that neither speak wholly for me. Unfortunately, in my adult life, I have found myself voting for the lessor of two evils.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congressman John Doolittle (R-CA) stepped away from his seat on the House Appropriations Committee today.

The FBI raided the Congressman's house in connections with ongoing investigations related to Jack Abramoff's lobbying. Apparently, the Congressman's wife owned a company which was one of very few that made contributions to Mr. Abramoff's lobbying firm.

A former associate of Representative Doolittle apparently pleaded guilty to some corruption charges, and is offering testimony to the FBI in exchange for sentencing consideration.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Congressman John Doolittle (R-CA) stepped away from his seat on the House Appropriations Committee today.

The FBI raided the Congressman's house in connections with ongoing investigations related to Jack Abramoff's lobbying. Apparently, the Congressman's wife owned a company which was one of very few that made contributions to Mr. Abramoff's lobbying firm.

A former associate of Representative Doolittle apparently pleaded guilty to some corruption charges, and is offering testimony to the FBI in exchange for sentencing consideration.

I love your quote on your signature. It is a timeless statement given by a great American...funny how things never change.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oops!

Representative Rick Renzi (R-AZ) is a name we may be seeing a bit. Seems he 'forgot' to disclose to the House Ethics Committee a $200,000.00 payment received for some sort of land transaction in 2005. That's kind of a no-no when you serve in Congress.

And his name is also connected with the dismissal of United States Attorney Charlton. Apparently, Representative Renzi' chief of staff, one Brian Murray, to inquire about an investigation concerning that land transaction.

United States Attorney Charlton was fired shortly after the contact from the Congressman's office.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oops Again.

It seems the director of the Bush Administrations foreign aide programs, Randall Tobias, resigned this past week.

Seems he was caught visiting the exclusive call-girl ring, 'Pamela Martin and Associates'. I'm sorry, it is not a call-girl ring, it is a fantasy service. The associates were not supposed to have sex with the patrons.

Apparently, Mr. Tobias was the 'AIDS czar' for the Bush Administration. Also, he is the former CEO of Eli Lilly.

Mrs. Tobais could not be reached for comment.

A truly very minor scandal ... but the close parallel to the behavior of one former high government official just begs for recognition. Shall we pull up our chairs and put on the pop-corn, to watch the hypocracy begin?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oops Again.

It seems the director of the Bush Administrations foreign aide programs, Randall Tobias, resigned this past week.

Seems he was caught visiting the exclusive call-girl ring, 'Pamela Martin and Associates'. I'm sorry, it is not a call-girl ring, it is a fantasy service. The associates were not supposed to have sex with the patrons.

Apparently, Mr. Tobias was the 'AIDS czar' for the Bush Administration. Also, he is the former CEO of Eli Lilly.

Mrs. Tobais could not be reached for comment.

A truly very minor scandal ... but the close parallel to the behavior of one former high government official just begs for recognition. Shall we pull up our chairs and put on the pop-corn, to watch the hypocracy begin?

You say it's very minor, but add a break-in to cover up the call-girl ring and you've got yourself Watergate.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've probably already answered but yes I am still a Republican. And before anyone starts bashing let me just reminde you that the although the Republican party's backyard is far from clean the Democrat's have a lot of work to do before cleaning their backyard before they start criticizing.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mariachi Joe,

This thread was not started to "bash" any individual. It was designed to highlight some specific abuses of "Republican" principles by the current administraiton. As you say, the Democratic Party may have some cleaning to do, but when this thread was started, all of our government authority was in the hands of the Republicans.

And, I've been watching, if you wish to discuss a tit-for-tat list between Democrats and Republicans today, I think you would find the scales tipped toward Republicans, vastly.

How many of the principles the Republican Party can be betrayed by those in power, before individuals decide they don't want to be Republicans anymore? I think the answer to that question was found in the 2006 elections.

But, many of those in power, still have power, and are still abusing power, and I will continue to highlight them and their abuses.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This evening, while driving home, I heard what quite possibly is the best hour of radio I have heard in a long time.

http://www.radioopensource.org/comeys-dissent-at-justice/

On Tuesday, former deputy Attorney General James B. Comey testified in a Senate hearing on the US Attorneys investigation. What unravelled was a made-for-TV drama, a whole new episode in the Bush-Cheney push for presidential power. (If the writers of 24 don’t steal from Comey’s testimony, they’re crazy. Actually, they’ve already done critical decision making in the ICU.)

I could never have thought that in some instance I would be thinking kindly to Attorney General John Ashcroft. I truly believe that when Senator Ashcroft lost an election to a dead man, it was appropriate. It seems there may be more to the man than a fear of unclothed boobs and the Not-So-Great American Songbook. He may have actually taken a stand in defense of the Constitution and Law and Order.

While I tend to find the host, Christopher Lydon, rather annoying and a bit of a jerk, he did not portray those traits in this hour of radio.

This program, I believe, is worth the investment of your time.

Latest Discussions