Ip man 2

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So whilst we all know its being filmed....wish they would hurry up!!!!

Wiki states this: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ip_Man_2)

The film will focus on disputes between the disciples of Hung Ga and Wing Chun, leading to their masters' eventual confrontation. Yip also commented that the film's most anticipated scene will be the showdown involving Wing Chun and Hung Ga, a fight sequence involving Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung's characters. Of the two characters, Yip commented, "Sammo Hung's character is not exactly villainous, but he's very overbearing, just like his torrential Hung Gar. In contrast, Ip Man is very unassuming, much like his fist."

Anyone know any more about the supposed disputes between Hung Ga and Wing Chun? What they were about and do they still exist?
Also Hung Ga? whilst I have heard of it, it does not seem a widely practiced style here (in the West I mean)

-steve-

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oww thats going to be an awesome movie I bet. I would also like to hear answers to the questions you posed.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From what I understand, Hung Gar and Wing Chun were the two most prominent systems in Hong Kong, and are completely opposed in their philosophies: Wing Chun is very upright in it's postures, whereas Hung Gar is very low. Wing Chun teaches that the most direct line is the fastest, so they focus on straight line strikes. Hung Gar feel that the most power is genertated with a longer strike, so they have a higher focus on swinging circular strikes. And so on...

With the amount of pride in different systems, and both vying for the title of "best", it was inevitable that they would have some conflict. This included a number of fights in Hong Kong, which Bruce Lee and William Cheung were involved in at times. I'm sure many others here can add more, but that's a start at least.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope they dub an English version of the movie, for us westerners. I hate reading sub-titles, it takes away from the movie. Too much to read and focus on the events going on within at the same time.

OP
bully

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope they dub an English version of the movie, for us westerners. I hate reading sub-titles, it takes away from the movie. Too much to read and focus on the events going on within at the same time.

I am the exact opposite!!

I find some of the translation gets lost and the lips not matching the sounds annoying yet hilarious.

It reminds me of the all the old dubbed chop suey movies with terrible lip synch and even worse US/UK accents dubbed over the top.

Even Police acadamy made a joke about it!!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am the exact opposite!!

I find some of the translation gets lost and the lips not matching the sounds annoying yet hilarious.

Yeah, I'm with you on this, Bully. I'd rather hear the original soundtrack rather than a poor dubbed version, even if I have to deal with hard-to-read subtitles.

As far as disputes between styles, all I know is that my first sifu, a Chinese man, was very proud of his WingTsun and didn't have much nice to say about other systems. We Americans sometimes assume that there should be some kind of benevolent brotherhood among kung-fu practitioners. Well, contrary to popular myth, they evolved as fiercely competitive fighting systems each seeking to come up with a better method and beat up the competition. It may not be the most spiritually "enlightened" approach, but it's why WC/WT works.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
No real Yip Man vs Hung Gar fight or major dispute. Yes some students did have some fights with Hung Gar types as well as many other kung fu styles in the 50s. Yip did spend time with other Kung Fu folks so who knows about minor tests of skill or examples of we do this you do that stuff.

Cant have a movie without Yip having a big showdown and a victory over a big nasty.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Also Hung Ga? whilst I have heard of it, it does not seem a widely practiced style here (in the West I mean)
For more Hung Ga information check out our website www.yeeshungga.com. Contact me if you have any specific questions. Looking forward to watching the movie!

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Considering WC is one of the most wide-spread MAs in the west, no Hung Gar is not nearly as common, but it's not exactly obscure. I would say Hung Gar is probably one of the more common kung-fu styles you will find in the U.S.

And subtitles chain punch dubbing in the mouth. I can't stand the lack of syncing in the sound and the lip movement, plus subtitles are usually more accurate translations.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Testing styles was the obvious way to determine faults in your system.
There are a few other threads about the 1st version of the film. Cant wait.
Any decisions or info on the Bruce actor?

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386932/

Internet Movie Database (IMDB) usually has the most reliable information on anything Hollywood, Bollywood, Hong Kong-wood...ect. They have nobody listed for the part of Lee June Fan...aka Bruce Lee.

I still need to see the first one! I did watch a really good Thai film about a deaf and mute Thai hit man last night that was subtitled. I don't know the name of the film as the DVR should have recorded Bangkok Dangerous with Nicholas Cage but instead got this one. It was Bangkok something, in subtitles, and really good revenge type flick with a moral twist!

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ooh nice, will have to check around for the film, sounds good, thanks.
Following on for more Donnie Yen action, I have to recommend 'Dou fo sin' or 'Flashpoint' ... really good film, once it escalates. Only saw it a few weekends ago.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ooh nice, will have to check around for the film, sounds good, thanks.
Following on for more Donnie Yen action, I have to recommend 'Dou fo sin' or 'Flashpoint' ... really good film, once it escalates. Only saw it a few weekends ago.

I loved 導火線! By far one of my favorite Donnie Yen movies.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I loved 導火線! By far one of my favorite Donnie Yen movies.

Ah your favourite?
I can now say this too, although I await Ip Man 2!
I feel silly, I dont have the remote control for my dvd so cannot view the extras dvd yet :( Soon come.

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So whilst we all know its being filmed....wish they would hurry up!!!!

Wiki states this: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ip_Man_2)

The film will focus on disputes between the disciples of Hung Ga and Wing Chun, leading to their masters' eventual confrontation. Yip also commented that the film's most anticipated scene will be the showdown involving Wing Chun and Hung Ga, a fight sequence involving Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung's characters. Of the two characters, Yip commented, "Sammo Hung's character is not exactly villainous, but he's very overbearing, just like his torrential Hung Gar. In contrast, Ip Man is very unassuming, much like his fist."

Anyone know any more about the supposed disputes between Hung Ga and Wing Chun? What they were about and do they still exist?

Sounds ace, can't wait for this!

Re: Wing Chun v. Hung Ga. Personally I have a little experience in both through friends and such like and I find WC much more accessible and logical. Seems a lot of wasted effort in Hung Ga.

I do not know much though about factual evidence that there is about disputes between the two systems.

TinTin_57

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wathed the first Ip Man film again at the weekend but this time on Blu-Ray. It was even better in that level of detail

OP
bully

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The accountant has just given permission for a Blu ray player.

Think I will get a PS3:supcool:

Will defo get Ip man on blu ray then, its awesome on DVD.

chisauking

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tin Tin:

May I ask where you purchased the BR version of Ip man from and how much, please?

I love high quality, and I would comtemplate getting myself a copy if it wasn't too expensive.

I'm a movie buff, and even though I have and seen many older films, I still want to collect the BR version when they come down in price.

thanks.

Latest Discussions